OLDER TEENS:what age do you feel you lost childhood?

Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 2:43 pm

CrystalStars wrote:
As soon as I became a teenager, so 13.

Please explain.

Honestly I really don't understand how that works if a big characteristic of AS is delayed social and emotional functioning compared to "NTs".

I've had a very different experience of this and wonder if others misunderstand my question.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

04 Sep 2012, 10:00 am

muslimmetalhead wrote:
Honestly I really don't understand how that works if a big characteristic of AS is delayed social and emotional functioning compared to "NTs".

Not everyone is the same, remember that. Some can be more delayed than others, some can actually mature too early.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 11:53 am

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
muslimmetalhead wrote:

Not everyone is the same, remember that. Some can be more delayed than others, some can actually mature too early.

Hmm...I think the phenomenon you're thinking of is "overcompensation" or "let's play adult" syndrome.

Because maturity would bring confidence, and confidence...well, it makes you look normal.

Kinda demands respect.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

04 Sep 2012, 2:02 pm

It's not a phenomenon at all. Maturity and confidence are two different things.

[sarcasm]

Who said I'm trying to look normal? Normal is over-rated. :tongue:

[/sarcasm]

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 2:59 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
It's not a phenomenon at all. Maturity and confidence are two different things.

[sarcasm]

Who said I'm trying to look normal? Normal is over-rated. :tongue:

[/sarcasm]

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 4:32 pm

I'd go as far as to say normal is bad, except in small doses.

EnglishJess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 3:22 am

I was 13, nearly 14 when I "Lost my innocence" as I like to put it, meaning I relised I didn't want to be like everyone else and wanted to listen to rock music instead of today's music that everyone at my school likes so much, and then started feeling sad for a while, until Winter was nearly over.

Though I think I'm 13 mentally.

Epsilon
Toucan
Toucan

05 Sep 2012, 12:16 pm

I would say when I was about or close to 14. I realized how bad the world can be long before that, but at 14 I felt less enthusiastic about life and school and what I'm going to do when I grow up, etc. The world just seemed a bit bleaker and less appealing than I originally expected and thought it would be.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 8:00 pm

I was shown by my now longtime mentor about how my parents were truly treating me (with apathy/using me with my mom) and how others perceived me as well as exposed the stupid reasons I liked some things I did.

Now I feel very cynical for my age...but when you've been treated like s**t your whole life what can people expect. I still have a hard time trusting people.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

Charmless
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Sep 2012, 11:17 pm

Can't really lose what you didn't have

"Goddamn it, you've got to be kind."-Kurt Vonnegut

I like Vonnegut quotes, OKAY?

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

11 Sep 2012, 12:17 am

After 9/11. Even so, I still try to be upbeat about myself, even though my childhood feels like lightyears away now.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Virginiarw
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Sep 2012, 12:20 am

I always thought I lost my childhood at some point but when I look back I see that I was always living my childhood out, even as I thought that.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 6:04 am

Charmless wrote:

bullsh!t.

Everyone can describe a time in their life "As a child"

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 10:24 am

Not everyone can, actually.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 11:23 am

muslimmetalhead wrote:
Charmless wrote:

bullsh!t.

Everyone can describe a time in their life "As a child"
Most people don't have a time when they are suddenly an adult, it is a transition.

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 2:22 pm

I would say roughly age 13-14, for most of my adolescence people have commented that I'm closer to 70-80 years old mentally. I sometimes cry when I think of how simple life was as a child, I cry when I miss those times and realizing I will never experience that again. But I am glad I did grow up though, because I have known what I wanted to be in life since I was 15. I know what I want, and how to get there and am working towards getting there. All of my goals are simply stepping stones to more goals, each goal I achieve is a milestone because I'm now one step closer to my next goal, and the next, and the next ad infinitum.

I have 3 separate ages: chronological age, physical age, and psychological age. Chronologically I am 18, physically I am 25, and psychologically I am ageless. As a Transhumanist it is my goal to haeve humanity achieve biological immortality within the next 20-40 years, that's why I claim my psychological age is ageless.