What sort of saying or quote do you live by?

Page 12 of 16 [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

sMeow
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Nov 2011, 8:03 am

Quote:
There was even going to be a party for you. A big party that all your friends were invited to. I invited your best friend the Companion Cube. Of course, he couldn't come because you murdered him. All your other friends couldn't come either, because you don't have any other friends. Because of how unlikeable you are. It says so here in your personnel file: Unlikeable. Liked by no one. A bitter, unlikeable loner whose passing shall not be mourned. 'Shall not be mourned.' That's exactly what it says. Very formal, very official. It also says you were adopted. So that's funny, too.

GLaDos - Portal.

Quote:
Not in cruelty
Not in wrath
The REAPER came today
An ANGEL visited
this gray path
And took the cube away.

Satire of "The Reaper and the Flowers" by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow - Portal.

Yeah, I miss my Companion Cube. :>

sMeow.

Vapzii
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Nov 2011, 7:04 pm

Here are my favourites:

"It's not how we fall. It's how we get back up again." - Monsters of Men, Patrick Ness.

"When luck's not with you it's against you." - The Knife of Never Letting Go, Patrick Ness.

"The worst time to feel alone is when you're in a crowd." - Point Blanc, Anthony Horowitz.

"And I know I can do this because I went to London on my own, and because I solved the mystery of Who Killed Wellington? ...and I was brave and I wrote a book and that means I can do anything.” - The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, Mark Haddon. (Amazing book with an Aspie protagonist, by the way.) (And I omitted a spoiler. Hence the ellipses.)

"Sometimes we get sad about things and we don't like to tell other people that we are sad about them. We like to keep it a secret. Or sometimes, we are sad but we really don't know why we are sad, so we say we aren't sad but we really are." - The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time.

"Sometimes I read the same books over and over and over. What's great about books is that the stuff inside doesn't change. People say you can't judge a book by its cover but that's not true because it says right on the cover what's inside. And no matter how many times you read that book the words and pictures don't change. You can open and close books a million times and they stay the same. They look the same. They say the same words. The charts and pictures are the same colors.

Books are not like people. Books are safe." - Mockingbird, Kathryn Erskine. (Another Aspie protagonist.)

"I don't think I'm going to like it at all. I think it's going to hurt. But after the hurt I think maybe something good and strong and beautiful will come out of it." - Mockingbird.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein.

...And here I will stop before I make the thread explode.

Beaux
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Nov 2011, 8:15 pm

I've got a few... 8) (And yes, I'm an existentialist)

"All credibility, all good conscience, all evidence of truth come only from the senses." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

"Imagination is not an empirical or superadded power of consciousness, it is the whole of consciousness as it realizes its freedom." Jean-Paul Sartre

"Who's more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?" -- Obi-Wan "Ben" Kenobi, Star Wars

"Face the facts of being what you are, for that is what changes what you are." --Søren Kierkegaard

"All living creatures have the power to be brought back to life and the will to go on living. Anywhere can be paradise, as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you always have the chance to be happy." -- Yui Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice." -- Rush

"Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. " -- Søren Kierkegaard

"Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies. " Friedrich Nietzsche

thedaywalker
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 7:23 am

we don't know and we weren't meant to know so keep moving.

bcousins
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 5:06 pm

"Ding dong dang - Attention Platform 2, This train is now due to depart, Please stand clear" - Taylor Owynns (Voice of CityRail Sydney)

truth15ful
Raven
Raven

10 Nov 2011, 6:24 pm

Some of the truest words ever spoken:
"I am a flower quickly fading
Here today and gone tomorrow
A wave tossed in the ocean
A vapor in the wind
Still You hear me when I'm calling
Lord, You catch me when I'm falling
And You've told me who I am
I am Yours" -Casting Crowns

And from right here on WP:
"A man who does not learn is ignorant. A man who learns but does not think gives a false impression of intelligence. A man who both learns and thinks is a genius." -SammichEater

RubyWings91
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Nov 2011, 11:48 pm

"Live today to it's fullest because you just can't be sure about tomorrow."

This is a quote that has developed over time and, I suppose, accumulated experiences. It seems to be the undercurrent to not only my life, but every one elses in my home.

Candles15
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Nov 2011, 10:45 am

What goes around come around and Treat others the way you'd like to be treated :)

bubbajon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Nov 2011, 3:02 pm

"There is only one good, namely knowledge, and only one evil, namely ignorance."-plato

Basagu
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Nov 2011, 3:28 pm

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 3:39 pm

Genius is finite, stupidity is not.

fefe333
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Apr 2012, 8:20 pm

"Do one thing every day that scares you"
i cant remember were i herd this one lol

aspie quiz results: 172/200
I am suspected to have aspergers, but I'm not diagnosed.

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 8:39 pm

Lots of good ones in here. Mine's better, though:

Why do today what your mom can do tomorrow?

bcousins
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 12:40 am

Steve Jobs wrote:
Here's to the crazy ones,
the misfits,
the rebels,
the troublemakers,
the round pegs in the square holes...
the ones who see things differently -- they're not fond of rules...
You can quote them,
disagree with them,
glorify or vilify them,
but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things...
they push the human race forward,
and while some may see them as the crazy ones,
we see genius,
because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 4:04 am

Life is not an easy matter... You cannot live through it without falling into frustration and cynicism unless you have before you a great idea which raises you above personal misery, above weakness, above all kinds of perfidy and baseness.
Leon Trotsky

i have turned into an optimist.

?Whatever happens and even if I get beaten up a second or a third time, I will remain in the union. It is my soul,... If you knew what was happening inside the company, you would understand why I think like this.?- Spinneys workers union leader, lebanon.

Xena_Sophia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Apr 2012, 12:39 am

To think is to live. --Cicero