Vaguely Knowlegable 33%  33%  [ 27 ]
Not at all or they denounce your claims 35%  35%  [ 29 ]
Total votes : 82

Iuri
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Jan 2010, 9:53 pm

Stealth wrote:
My mom kinda has an idea about it. Everyone else in my family thinks I'm just throwing out excuses.

Same here

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 10:31 pm

My parents know autism quite well, they even opened a practice using alternative treatment methods.

So what. They still feel lost when I struggled in school and shared with them my struggles...

Jpeg
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jan 2010, 3:10 pm

My dad knows about it but sees it as an excuse and fails to understand that my goal isn't to try and act NT. I don't know if my mom knows about me being diagnosed.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2010, 10:05 am

My mum thinks she's a expert on it because she's read books on the subject. To me, this is stupid, and the equivalent to me telling her I know all about what it was like to be pregnant because I read about it.

The fact is, only we really know what it's like. We are the only experts. Not some guy with some papers who went to a flash school, or anyone who reads a book or two.

ALacount
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jan 2010, 7:03 pm

I have told my mother on tow ocasions (I think she herslef has it) and she laughs at me and says I obiosuly don't.... though she is quick to say many other peopel do... and makes steriotypical views about it:(

Arminius
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jan 2010, 11:00 pm

People said it about me when I was little, and Mom and Dad discounted it but never treated me the same way. We still have some issues around it. They have only aknowledged that I am a rational and capable person in the last couple of years. Then there was the time Mom said "that's just your Autism talking" when we were fighting. That was in sixth grade, and I am about to graduate from high school. I have forgotten the cause of the fight, but I will never forget that.

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 1:45 pm

my dad is an aspie, though undiagnosed so he knows a little. my mother is NT and ignores my AS traits unless it'll get me something for free/less-than-we'd-have-to-pay-if-i-was-NT :P so obviously she knows essentially nothing.

lolcatsrule_123
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Feb 2010, 5:07 pm

let me just say, my father thinks my phobia's are 'excuses' to get out of doing work/going outside, my mother try's not to believe my dad's claim's but i have a feeling she does. oh and the worst thing was my older cousin saying i have a 'mental illness', 0_0...