Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Davuardo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Mar 2011, 3:59 am

Far out some parents on there sound so awesome

My dad limits my time to 1 hour a day of games and another account in the mean-time that can only run Microsoft Word and blocks a ridiculous amount of internet pages.

Normally Google would help me find a way around this however he is a computer engineer as a day job thus knows all the latest tricks to keep me off.

To be fair I did spend all day on the computer as a child but children with AS always have an obsession that they choose over social time, and mine just happened to be spending all day making statistics about rugby union and simulating seasons on notepad, think I made over 1g of notepads during the five years I had my first computer.

However i also had an inane obsession with playing rugby outside, as we have a 3 acre property that was perfect for it. Spending a good 9 hours per day on the weekend doing that resulted in rather freakish fitness as a child and a real difficulty in gaining serious weight today. Also some rather handy ball skills :P.

Anyway enough about my boring life, I think that in many cases AS obsessions result in parents thinking they spend too much time on the computer, simply due to their obsession of whatever they do on it. Those whom parents aren't yet aware that they have it will become frustrated with their child constantly choosing to do whatever it is that they do over spending time with their friends. Trying to get them to explain what they are doing doesn't always work either as they tend to see it as their escape from people, and highly dislike people entering their comfort zone.

Parents looking for their child to have more of a comfortable social life need to realise that their children aren't really going to be comfortable socially whether they spend time with people or not, and forcing the issue will just make them angry, sad, or suffer from low confidence in social situations rather than accepting themselves.

Although it does help to move us away from our obsession from time to time to engage in something interactive with the family, just don't force the issue to much and please god, don't ask us "why do you like doing this".

Probably done enough from one post, about to be logged out in 30 seconds :(

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 4:47 am

pepperrose wrote:
my dad wants me to spend 3hrs only a day i normally spend about 6 to 7 hrs a day i was worried he would enforce it but hes already forgotten :lol:

Same with my mom, she says she's going to limit it, enforces it for one day at the most, then stops. :lol: Although I think now she's realized that the internet is the only place I socialize, and the only thing that keeps me happy, so she won't take it from me. :P

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 6:32 am

never, they know it doesnt help they tried at one time and failed iserably.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.