Do you believe in god???
yes 42%  42%  [ 88 ]
no 58%  58%  [ 124 ]
Total votes : 212

Mouldy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Feb 2010, 12:28 pm

There is no god!! !! ONLY CHUCK NORRIS!! !

My favorite letter is the squiggly! ~ :D

EaglesSayMeow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2010, 10:03 am

No, I don't. That's probably simply because my parents aren't religious, they never took me to church, never talked to me about God, etc. I doubt I'm suddenly going to start believing in one, simply because it seems like the sort of thing you need to be taught, at least to a small degree, from when you're little. I have no opinions whatsoever. The non/existence of a God isn't going to change the way I live my life from day to day, so I don't let it bother me as a general rule. Even if there was one, I'm pretty sure I'd act exactly the same, so I don't really mind so much either way.

Malbred
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Mar 2010, 10:23 pm

I am actually not sure if I believe in God.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2010, 12:32 am

thedaywalker wrote:
i think that people wo believe in god are just as irational as people that are in asylum because voices tell them to do thing. schizophrenics. most people dont know what scizophrenics are so i explained. denieing the truth is crazy believing in god is denieing the truth. i think anyone who is religious should be ashamed. there stupid and insane.

So schizophrenic people are stupid? Or you should be ashamed to have a psychological condition such as schizophrenia? Most of us share AS, a neurological condition, should we be ashamed too? I believe in God and I don't hear voices. (I guess that excludes me from the irrational because I don't hear the voices...I dunno.) I think saying everyone who believes in God is denying the truth is sort of arrogant. I'm not trying to start a religious debate or anything, that just bugged me.

kaitlyn_loves_music
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Apr 2010, 9:23 pm

yes i do believe in God and that jesus was his son.
i dont like religion just like everybody has said i look at it as a relationship.
i wasnt always like this i used to be agnostic.
and im much happier living life believing in God these days :D

GriffinGuitar12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Apr 2010, 12:38 pm

Not really sure if I believe in God. Though largely that depends on who (and/or what) "God" is, IMO. To me, the God of the Bible just seems too hard to understand - as an Aspie, people are hard ENOUGH to understand (though that doesn't mean I don't like all of them - some of them are pretty cool ;) )! ! So understanding a "supernatural" being just seems like it would be even MORE confusing and hard to deal with!! On a more scientific level of speaking, it's hard to tell whether or not there is a God, because (again) that depends on who and/or what "God" is. A God that I would want to believe in would simply be nature itself. That's all I would want, though please don't let my comments stop any of you who believe in a more personified God from worshiping Him. You're all good to go, too, as long as you let your beliefs guide YOU on YOUR spiritual journey(s) and you don't make others participate if they don't want to.

thepractitioner
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Apr 2010, 9:16 am

I've already posted my views on god in the adolescent forum Autism=Superpower thread.

darthbrandon
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Apr 2010, 9:17 am

i believe in god but i don't believe in religion because they use god as a means of brainwashing ppl to gain power but that's not always horrible religion has a purpose it uses the fear of the unknown to keep ppl in line that otherwise would do whatever they want and cause chaos and i have no problem with this its just wen ppl use that same fear to cause chaos and war that i have a problem with

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2010, 12:46 pm

I agree with Richard Dawkins' argument that forcing religion onto one's children is child abuse.

richarddawkins.net

I have a problem with an adult ostracizing a child because they do not blindly follow the same beliefs. Worse yet, some parents think it is acceptable to threaten their child with eternal torture for simply thinking for themselves. It's like holding a gun to their head and demanding that they be someone they are not. When you consider it from this point of view, it is little different from some acts of abuse that most people recognize as despicable.

If a person is to find the truth, they must be free to think for themselves. To believe blindly or to disbelieve blindly achieves nothing. If your family actually believed in their own religion, they would offer reasonable arguments in support of that particular belief. But instead, they seem to demand that you follow their beliefs without question. This is no way to seek truth. It is only useful if you do not want to think.

My advice is say nothing, make the minimum effort you have to to keep them off your back and keep thinking for yourself.

Good luck,

Lars

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2010, 6:17 pm

jagatai wrote:
I agree with Richard Dawkins' argument that forcing religion onto one's children is child abuse.

richarddawkins.net

I have a problem with an adult ostracizing a child because they do not blindly follow the same beliefs. Worse yet, some parents think it is acceptable to threaten their child with eternal torture for simply thinking for themselves. It's like holding a gun to their head and demanding that they be someone they are not. When you consider it from this point of view, it is little different from some acts of abuse that most people recognize as despicable.

If a person is to find the truth, they must be free to think for themselves. To believe blindly or to disbelieve blindly achieves nothing. If your family actually believed in their own religion, they would offer reasonable arguments in support of that particular belief. But instead, they seem to demand that you follow their beliefs without question. This is no way to seek truth. It is only useful if you do not want to think.

My advice is say nothing, make the minimum effort you have to to keep them off your back and keep thinking for yourself.

Good luck,

Lars

I also have a problem with an adult forcing their child to follow their beliefs, but what about just encouraging someone toward your beliefs? (When I say encouragement, that's what I mean...I don't mean shoving it down their throat.) I haven't read anything by Richard Dawkins, so I don't know his stance besides strictly forcing someone toward your beliefs. Could you recommend a book by him for someone who is not an Atheist? He seems to be pretty popular and I'd like to get an idea of...well, his ideas.

SnowWhite88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Apr 2010, 2:30 pm

I believe in spirituality, but not religion.

SilverPikmin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Apr 2010, 3:21 pm

I'm a cold heartless materialist. :lol: I don't believe in God, spirituality or anything like that. I do believe in celebrating your culture so I do celebrate Christmas, and Easter, and I like churches and the kind of atmosphere they have in there, but I don't actually believe.

JCpatriots
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Apr 2010, 4:30 pm

No, I do not believe in God.

chaddhuddon

05 May 2010, 4:41 pm

i believe in god. my belief system is my own tho. i relive that you should go to mass and revive Eucharist, but church should just be an outlet for mass and other activity like food drive. ultimately individual beliefs are up to yourself and only yourself

also, most people are atheist because they believe that the bible is fantasy, fiction, a myth, just like the odessy and other books. and frankly, it is. but, as a western civilization in this age of science, we dont understand the point. its just like when a friend makes an analogy. the greeks probably knew pretty damn well that the oddessy never happened, and they dont believe in cyclopes. but they tell the story to instill values and morals. its all about virtue not historical fact. this is why the church now accepts the big bang and evolution.

Alethes
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 May 2010, 12:43 am

i wud. if it werernt for all the pedofiles.

( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )

Alethes
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 May 2010, 1:03 am

to be serious ?

well if i were to attempt a big long essay like the rest of u folks,
i wud probably point to the centuries of oppression, the fact that
they started (and tried everything in their power to maintain) the
dark ages. the fact they were far dirtier & far less virtuous than
the 'pagans' they supplanted . . . hmm, wut else . . . meh, too
lazy. anyway, u get the picture.

chaddhuddon wrote:
. . the greeks probably knew pretty damn well that the oddessy never happened, and they dont believe in cyclopes . . .

now this i simply can't believe. u just don't know how life was back
then. how /poorly/ those past times are portrayed in our books and
our films. people clearly had their own ideas, from what we have
now. btw odyssey is /clearly/ based on real events (however loosely
this may seem), so it's not too bad. but the tales of the foundation
of rome ? the tales of aeneas, the stories of romulus / remus ? the
romans thought this was their true history. the study / conception
of history back then was just so /completly/ different than it is now.