Page 4 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

BigTimeSynesthete
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Apr 2007, 11:42 am

I've been saying to myself, yes, no, yes. I would like to have one child of my own and adopt 2 of a similar age, so my child has some siblings. I heard that the "only child" often becomes a spoiled, intolerant brat, AS or NT. But I'm really concerned about overpopulation, so I'm going to stick to no more than two kids of my own. I really don't think my sister should have kids, because she's very impatient towards people who don't think like her. There's a good chance that she'll have an autistic child, and I can't trust her with one. She would probably force him to act "normal," squash his obsessions, blame him if he gets bullied, and yell at him frequently for not understanding NT rules. She's been doing the same with me. So, if she has an autistic child, aunt Synesthete will adopt him. I've been trying really hard to overprepare myself for autistic kids and to learn from other parents' mistakes. I think I'll be able to do it. I'd let them stim sometimes, or have special interests. But i would never let my kids watch lame TV shows, throw tantrums, get them whatever they want, or drink more than one can of soda per month.

Eudevie
Raven
Raven

09 Apr 2007, 1:00 pm

I would love to have kids. Though I should work out my own issues first (Bipolar.)
I would have three at most. I would only have kids I could actually support. :S Though the hard part is, conception. I'm on so many medications, and I don't know if PCOS affects fertility...
And if I'm off my medications, PLUS the hormones of pregnancy... I feel sorry for the guy I'd marry.

Genetically, OCD, ADD, Bipolar Disorder, Autism(My cousin has a lower-functioning version. I'm lucky I have Asperger's...), and Alcoholism run in the family. And those are just the mental ones...But I guess it would be very difficult to find a "perfect" family genetic history anyway. The one I'm worried about isn't mental so much. Multiple sclerosis runs in the family, and supposeably takes alternate generations. and MS is awful. My aunt is so bad she can't even feed herself, let alone walk. She's mostly paralyzed. My dad's is getting worse, he walks like he's drunk even though he isn't. and when he DOES drink, he tends to have really bad trouble with his balance.(He fell on me and my brother, once each. x.x)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2007, 7:18 pm

No. I'd be a terrible role model, with my Late 1970s' prudery and my own need for pull-ups. I hope that my sister has four kids to make up for the kids that I don't have. :)

Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2007, 8:43 pm

Would I be seen as an AS traitor if I said I didn't want to potentially pass down my AS genes?

SuPaStAr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Apr 2007, 10:44 am

im definitely going to have kids no more than 4 but at least 2

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 3:42 pm

no...because I couldn't forgive myself if the child had aspergers-addoption is different

SuPaStAr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Apr 2007, 3:46 pm

i understand your logic kilroy but aspie kids are on average kinder,cleverer and basically better people than NTs
but i understand that an aspie child is far more likely to get depressed from school bullying than an NT child and the sad fact of life is that every child will go through some form of abuse in their life time

fabarmadillo
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Apr 2007, 4:08 pm

I don't really know yet. Last time I thought about it, I thought about maybe adopting one or two who had to be saved because they were victims of domestic violence or were in some situation like that. I like hanging out with little kids, and they get along with me well, but I'm still not sure if I'd be good at being a full-time parent. Right now I volunteer with a music therapist for kids in elementary school, and I have a good time working with them.

fabarmadillo
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Apr 2007, 4:14 pm

SuPaStAr wrote:
i understand your logic kilroy but aspie kids are on average kinder,cleverer and basically better people than NTs

Is there actually scientific evidence that shows that? Could you tell me where you read it? I'm honestly interested.

SuPaStAr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Apr 2007, 4:24 pm

figures for prison numbers in the UK 99.5% of prison inmates are NT :P
basically says all we need to know about how a bad NT mind works and what their behaviour is like

Last edited by SuPaStAr on 28 Apr 2007, 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuPaStAr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Apr 2007, 4:28 pm

there are over 100,000 people in prison in the UK and it's always rising
those are the figures of male and female actually in prison
95% of those are NT male
4.5% are NT women
and 0.5% are "other", sadly aspies are classed as mentally ill offenders.
bear in mind that the UK has the largest number of offenders not in prison (probation etc) than anywhere else in europe the actually number of offenders is far higher than 100,000
violence is the most popular offence of the NTs with 50% of cases linked to violence
7% of the overcrowded prison population is mentally ill
0.5% of those are aspergers or autistic
im angered that we are placed with the mentally ill but anyway
The BBC Prison Figures <---- thats the link see for yourself you will need another link for the detailed breakdown of the statistics but i think that link will prove my point :wink:

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 4:41 pm

SuPaStAr wrote:
but i understand that an aspie child is far more likely to get depressed from school bullying than an NT child and the sad fact of life is that every child will go through some form of abuse in their life time

yeah I care for people-I mean really care-and people find that shocking, where I'd be willing to help them for nothing...I agree aspie people are kind wonderful people :D though the world doesn't understand us :(

SuPaStAr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Apr 2007, 4:43 pm

i know that has nothing to do with this topic im sorry it just shows what kind of a world aspie children are brought into these days
thus i understood Kilroy's logic
that was my evidence to support my view that NT children are not good people because of what they turn out to be i can't get hold of the childrens figures for the detentions centres but that would re-inforce my point even further.
blame the parents or situation as much as you want the NT children still commited the crimes and are far more likely to mug an old lady than an aspie child would

ChrissandraChrissamba
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 10:52 pm

No, but that decision might change as I get older/get married. I don't really know how to act around little kids and I find them quite boring honestly.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 10:55 pm

ChrissandraChrissamba wrote:
No, but that decision might change as I get older/get married. I don't really know how to act around little kids and I find them quite boring honestly.

I love kids-I've always been great with younger kids :D

agentcyclosarin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2007, 3:24 pm

HELL NO.

The world can't deal with one of me let alone two.