Page 4 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Do you tell people that you have asperger?
yes 48%  48%  [ 78 ]
no 52%  52%  [ 86 ]
Total votes : 164

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 8:34 pm

Garrett wrote:
I do but, so far I only told people on the computer that I have it because then, I won't have to deal with them if they are snotty.

I think it depends on who you are talking to, most people are nice and caring enough not to mock you for having it but, there are some mean, ignorant, non caring people that will mock you but, they are mostly mean to every one. I think that you shouldn’t tell any jerks that you have it. You can tell your friends that you have it because, sense they know you they most likely won't mock you for it. I think it would be better if you told someone about it so, you don’t have to keep hiding it. The only thing is, some people don’t know what it is and some might be envious of you for having it, that’s why they are not very nice.

Ugh, I had a teacher who was a complete idiot, and of course he knew I have High Functioning Autism. Man was that a hard semester! I camped out in my resource room as much as possible because I was sick of getting teased by this guy. :( I usually tell people after I talk to them for about a week, because I don't want to tell right away, as that's kind of odd, but I don't want to wait too long either or I'll be keeping a secret :P

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 10:00 pm

I tell some people when I feel comfortable enough and they know me better.

chessplayer
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Jan 2008, 12:59 am

I don't go out and announce it in public. It's not worth it. Some people know right away that you do have Asperger's Syndrome because of your actions, but they wouldn't say anything about it. I only tell people that I do have AS if they're absolutely certain that I have it.

Jesren42
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jan 2008, 1:00 am

FieryGatoh wrote:
I don't hide the fact, but I don't go around annoucing it randomly.

That's me basically. If someone brings it up, I'll talk about it. All of my friends found out about two months after I realiazed that I probaly have Asperger's because I was at Knowledge Bowl practice (Acdemic team) and I was getting too many answers right. One of my teamates looked at me and said "You must be autisic or something". And I said that I thought I had AS, so then we had a slightly embrassing dicsscion of what Asperger's is.

beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2008, 1:11 am

Most of them don't know what it is. They just tell me that I'm weird (after they get to know me). A lot of people think I'm an NT, because I do talk. I don't melt down in public (good meds), and they don't notice that I don't make eye icontact. But the main thing is that they say I'm sometimes too quiet.

Not with people I trust, I'm not.

Btdt

kiwi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jan 2008, 10:19 pm

lol

yea i do....

normally tell people i dont know well....

lol so yea no reporcations or

people I know over internet.......
or when im drunk
or yea stupid times lol....
or.........

but yea my brother still doesnt even know

guess ya tell the most important last or first hmmmm...
hes busy wif his own life eh...

he knows im different already haha everyone knows that....hmmm

is there any scripts on here haha how to tell somebody :P?

kiwi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jan 2008, 10:22 pm

yea.........

im not quiet with people i trust either :P

lol... common trait eh :P??? secure safety control... know the end results know...

TokenX
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Feb 2008, 11:45 pm

Well I told one of my friends that I had Asperger's and then after that I found out he went around telling people I had "Asparagus disease". Luckily he only told a few people who were like, "lol wut ur stupid go away" before I told him to stfu.

FigginOfDeath
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Feb 2008, 8:08 pm

It depends. I'm proud enough not to hide it, but I only tell people if I think it would interest them. Admittedly, Aspergers makes that a bit difficult for me to figure out.

Just yesterday, a girl I'm enamored with overheard me talking to my teacher and asked "What's an ass burger?"

I dunno what ye would have done, but I laughed pretty hard and explained.

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2008, 9:23 pm

I don't. I am private about that, it is on a need to know basis and most people simply don't need to know.

kiwi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Feb 2008, 11:00 pm

Ha yea A NEED TO KNOW basis

sounds like a plan.. haha Mr bond eh?

yea...

Im trying to work out who needs to know...

awareness... yea...?

HarraArial
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Mar 2008, 10:13 pm

Ehh... well, it really depends on how I've been treated by a person or group of people to determine weather I tell them or not.

For example, back in Jr. High, no one knew unless I told them personally, however, in High School where I reside now, I ended up telling my entire Freshman class about it because of the extent I was being mocked and bullied.

However, there are some downsides to doing this, you see, in class, my teacher announced what I was going to be talking about to the class, the first thing someone blurted was "Why are we going to be learning about something no one cares about?" So, I suppose there were some pros and cons to it.... The bullying stopped a bit, but there are some people a mite awkward around me now.

Everyone knows it's Windy!"

Hedgehog
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Mar 2008, 10:26 pm

I have yet to tell anyone.
I think that I will tell my private group of friends from outside school though, but I haven't gotten around to that, as I've been super busy and so have they.
I don't think it would benefit me to really tell anyone at my highschool, since I've already been picked on enough for being Jewish and a weirdo, so I don't really want to go added to that problem. I'm considering telling one of my teachers that I'm super close to, since I do a lot of work her, and I think she would be very accepting of it.

willnormanuk
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Mar 2008, 4:44 pm

I think that people should not that i have AS but the big problem for me is telling someone, how do you tell them? do you just go to someone and say 'hey i have aspergers syndrome!' only to await the answer 'f**k you you stupid creep' maybe if i knew how to say it then it may help a bit

"Yes, we have to divide up our time like that, between our politics and our equations. But to me our equations are far more important, for politics are only a matter of present concern. A mathematical equation stands forever." Albert Einstein

five_squared
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Mar 2008, 5:27 pm

Only those who really need to know about my difficulties (i.e. some people in school), because that's where it causes the most trouble. But on the other hand I don't have Asperger, but PDD-NOS, and it's not that noticeable (according to my shrink)...

Julia_the_Great
Toucan
Toucan

10 Mar 2008, 9:05 pm

I only tell my closest friends, there's a risk of the prejudice factor. According to a girl in my class, "Autism is a fancy word for 'tard.'"
But she is so dense she will soon be able to drown in the Dead Sea.