Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Mar 2012, 1:09 pm

i am in between stage 2 and 3

PintoNess
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Mar 2012, 3:28 pm

I'm about as "normal" as ive ever been. My meds are working AMAZING, so there's no more meltdowns. I can't even express how much of a relief that is (since I had them daily during junior high) I haven't had a major meltdown in almost two years, and not even a minor one in months.

I appear normal at my theatre especially, because I'm in my element, and besides people at the theatre are weird, LOL. and I'm one of the oldest... But anyway, everyone there adores me. :) and since starting it a year and a half ago, I've gotten way more mature, because I've been able to Practice my social skills with people my emotional maturity level. XD

jpr11011
Raven
Raven

22 Mar 2012, 8:17 pm

Spectrum for life :)

Seriously, my right hemisphere will never recover, so I will always have NVLD and ADD, which makes me very very similar to an Aspie.

KatherineBates
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Mar 2012, 5:08 am

I would say I was at stage 2. Which is better than being at stage 1, I guess.

KatherineBates
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Mar 2012, 5:11 am

katzefrau wrote:
IceCreamGirl wrote:
Stage 1: You're in your own Aspie world. You act completely different from everyone else.
Stage 2: You try to act normal, but you can't help acting a little different.

Stage 3: You have a complete emotional breakdown from exhaustion
Stage 4: You stop trying to act like anything you're not, realizing survival is of greater importance than being thought normal.
Stage 5: You accept that you have AS and it is a permanent condition, and you begin the process of learning how to better accommodate your needs even if you would prefer not to have special needs.

at least, these are the stages of becoming aware of having AS as an adult, as i see it.

Haha! In this case, I'm at stage 3. LOL

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 3:38 pm

Peko wrote:
Simonono wrote:
What is there to grow out of?? This is a permanent way of life.

I have to agree. So based on this chart I believe its impossible to go beyond stage 3. I'm somewhere between 2 and 3.

No, you don't actually grow out of the way that you act normally due to AS, however, you can change yourself to act like an NT ON PURPOSE.
You'll deal with social anxiety, but at least you don't look stupid or naive.

Anyways, I'm Stage 2-3.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 3:41 pm

KatherineBates wrote:
katzefrau wrote:
IceCreamGirl wrote:
Stage 1: You're in your own Aspie world. You act completely different from everyone else.

Stage 3: You have a complete emotional breakdown from exhaustion
Stage 4: You stop trying to act like anything you're not, realizing survival is of greater importance than being thought normal.
Stage 5: You accept that you have AS and it is a permanent condition, and you begin the process of learning how to better accommodate your needs even if you would prefer not to have special needs.

at least, these are the stages of becoming aware of having AS as an adult, as i see it.

Haha! In this case, I'm at stage 3. LOL

Katzefrau seems to be the "Damn, I finally realized my creepiness is due to a disorder" kind of Aspie.

I, personally am the highschool nerd kind.

dr01dguy
Toucan
Toucan

24 Mar 2012, 4:32 pm

You'll never get to Stage 4 (no longer an Aspie), because it's medically impossible.

The closest you'll ever get, with lots of help from amphetamines or methylphenidate, is a point where doing the "normal" thing becomes a semi-automatic reflex. But don't kid yourself. You'll *never* get to a point where you aren't aware that it's all an act, and that you're just biting your tongue or doing certain things because the consequences of NOT doing so are public scorn & ridicule.

Furthermore, as others have noted, this stage is rarely sustainable. Pulling it off successfully is a *huge* amount of work, and few have the stamina to keep up the act forever. The usual next step is either withdrawal (downtime to recharge & heal), burnout (throwing in the towel & giving up the act), or possibly despair & depression.

Personally, I settle for comfortable healing solitude, semi-weirdness at work (easy to get away with b/c most of my coworkers are similar), and working hard to be "99.9%" 'on point' when I go out & have to be social. I have no illusions about the strategy being viable if I got into a real relationship (I can't be on stage 24/7 without burning out & cracking in a matter of days), but that problem usually solves itself anyway. If somebody insists on latching on to me, I just drop the act until they leave me alone & I can go back to having a happy weekend social life in manageable, bite-sized doses.

brickmack
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Mar 2012, 8:00 pm

Gave up on stage 2 several years ago.

Link95
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Apr 2012, 7:17 pm

I'm probably in stage 2 or 3 right now.

mathdude94
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jun 2012, 9:08 pm

Stage 3: You realise it's pointless trying to fit in and decide you would be better of isolating yourself from society.

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges." -Sir Isaac Newton

CaliforniaSh33p
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jun 2012, 5:09 am

I'm in stage 2-3.

Keniichi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 7:36 pm

Some areas a 4, some areas a stage 2 or 3, rarely a Stage 1.

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 8:09 pm

By the same logic, the stages of schizophrenia:
Stage 1: You're in your own schizo world full of your own magical friends and voices. You act completely different from everyone else.
Stage 2. You try to act normal, but can't help hearing voices.
Stage 3: You act normal most of the time, you decide this must be because of the government tampering with the fluoride in your drinking water and you make your own water purification device.
Stage 4: Using your iron as a phone you call Strategic Air Command and issue a nuclear bombardment of the Soviet Union. Communism has penetrated society and only YOU can save the free world.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 8:17 pm

Stage 11: I accept I am not going to become neurotypical and am ok with that.

CaliforniaSh33p
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jun 2012, 6:41 am

Stage 12: You decide to give up trying and immerse yourself in whatever your special interest happened to be - Whilst accepting who you are! =)