Do you believe in god???
yes 42%  42%  [ 88 ]
no 58%  58%  [ 124 ]
Total votes : 212

MDM
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 May 2010, 4:18 am

Well, this is my thoughts on the matter. If life can be understood as more than 3 dimensional mass reacting to it's own parent object, then in 10th dimensional theory it would be possible for a single life form to live in this dimension (no more since the 10th dimension contains a single vector), then there are a couple conclusions that could be made. One is, this being would be omnipotent since the 10th dimensional vector is made up of all possibilities in various dimensional paths. Two, is if you believe in string theory, this being would be able to create mass in 3rd dimensional terms. Three, is, since this being would have no limits as to all the dimensions that it contains, which I would argue, is everything, it would have infinite power.

Now, obviously none of this is provable; as a matter of fact, we currently have no provable explanation as to how we got here, that contains nothing but facts as evidence, however, what if the argument I stated in the previous paragraph is what happened, and this being is 'God'. Now for a moment let's assume Christianity is correct (I chose Christianity, because I am a Christian, and it is what I knew best). If you believe, and portray your life as expected by God (in biblical standards that is), you wind up having eternal reward. If you live your life as expected by God, and it turns out God doesn't exist, well, nothing bad has happened, although nothing has been gained. If you live your life, however, not as God wanted, and he does exist, you wind up having eternal punishment. Not only have I seen acts that I believe directly correlate to God, but it seems rather illogical from my perspective to not believe in him. Just my point of view though.

irishaspie
Toucan
Toucan

31 May 2010, 5:56 am

believing out of fear? wow god will be so happy...

MDM
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 May 2010, 6:05 am

God says that we should fear none but him. We logically react to fear, which can quite often have serious repercussions if we don't. I don't believe in God for this reason alone, I was merely pointing out that from my perspective, believing in God is the most logical answer, and the least likely to backfire, or fail.

Eldanesh
Toucan
Toucan

31 May 2010, 7:55 pm

I'm a dedicated Christian but not a very good on e 8)

Blasterx343
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jun 2010, 7:23 am

I believe in God, and I am a practising Roman Catholic.
I accept evolution and science, but do not see science and religion as competitive but as totally seperate things.
Science explains the how and why.
Religion gives a system of ethics, morality and a sense of community.

Science without morals (or much foresight) gives results like the atomic bomb.

Religion without science leads to morons preaching disasters (drought etc.) are due to (sin of religous system of choice).

Both have inherent flaws when taken by themselves, but if used to moderate each other greater outcomes are possible.

right-hand-child
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Jun 2010, 10:42 am

i do.

my reasoning is this:

-our universe operates based on the principle of cause and effect, everything that has happened or will happen happened because of an event somewhere in the past.

-if you trace the spiral of cause and effect back far enough, there becomes two possibilites; either there was no root cause and the spiral of cause and effect is eternal (which i believe defies the spiral itself) or there was a root cause, one that was the begining of everything.

of course the problem with believing in god if all of this applies is that having a root cause also defies the principle of cause and effect.

this is why i believe in a higher being (for the lack of a better word, lets just say 'God')
because for a root cause to exist something that can defy its own logic must have happened, the logic that God themself, created (on which note, i refer to god as genderless, refering to them as a 'he' is sexist in my opinion)

with all this in mind, i do not abide by the general laws and guidelines of modern religion, instead i try my best to benifit mankind in any way (a philanthropist if you will :wink: )

although i have to say one thing that annoys me, whether it comes from an athiest or thiest, is when either one is arrogant about their own views, and treat everyone else as 100% wrong (i try not to)

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 11:28 am

right-hand-child wrote:
i do.

my reasoning is this:

-our universe operates based on the principle of cause and effect, everything that has happened or will happen happened because of an event somewhere in the past.

-if you trace the spiral of cause and effect back far enough, there becomes two possibilites; either there was no root cause and the spiral of cause and effect is eternal (which i believe defies the spiral itself) or there was a root cause, one that was the begining of everything.

of course the problem with believing in god if all of this applies is that having a root cause also defies the principle of cause and effect.

this is why i believe in a higher being (for the lack of a better word, lets just say 'God')
because for a root cause to exist something that can defy its own logic must have happened, the logic that God themself, created (on which note, i refer to god as genderless, refering to them as a 'he' is sexist in my opinion)

with all this in mind, i do not abide by the general laws and guidelines of modern religion, instead i try my best to benifit mankind in any way (a philanthropist if you will :wink: )

although i have to say one thing that annoys me, whether it comes from an athiest or thiest, is when either one is arrogant about their own views, and treat everyone else as 100% wrong (i try not to)

Sounds like Kabbalah.

Plywood
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2010, 10:24 am

There is something bigger then us but I don't think that we should worship "it" because we don't know what it is that created us. It could be anything. I just block out all thought of god in my mind, it doesn't bother me at all that there is no reason.

TripBSA
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Jun 2010, 9:15 pm

how can anyone possibly answer the question "Do you believe in god?" without the poll containing a definition of god to answer about? I read a lot of the comments and seems to come down to "Sure I believe in god and this is my own personal private definition of god.".

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 8:49 am

TripBSA wrote:
how can anyone possibly answer the question "Do you believe in god?" without the poll containing a definition of god to answer about? I read a lot of the comments and seems to come down to "Sure I believe in god and this is my own personal private definition of god.".

Good point.

right-hand-child
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jun 2010, 11:13 am

TripBSA wrote:

good point but the thing is there are lots and lots and LOTS of interpretations of God, interpretations which in turn have more interpretations. i geuss they could have put some of the major ones like christianity and islam though

oscilator
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jun 2010, 11:57 am

i believe in but don't believe the bible to be his words how can a book that is thousands of years old mass produce translated hundreds of times written my multiple people be the true words of god

oscilator
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jun 2010, 12:01 pm

TripBSA wrote:

god is just a name used by humans for something we don't fully understand

Helixstein
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 12:57 am

My answer is so complex that I cannot answer the pole. Anyone that wants me to explain, just say so.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2010, 2:35 am

Go on and explain. I'll share mine as well. I do not believe in a god. I am an atheist. But I am open to the possibility that Earth was once visited by extraterrestrial beings and that maybe perhaps, our concept of god or gods was actually a corrupt description of extraterrestrials who helped jumpstart civilization in some way. i still have my doubts, but I'm open to the theory somewhat. Although I do believe religion was concieved of to explain the unexplainable, things we now can explain, there are just so many technological and architectural marvels that are so perfect, or so inconcievable as to how they were made that it all points to that being somewhat the case. Either that or we had very intelligent ancestors, which could be the case.

Although I don't believe in god and do not belong to any religion, I usually base my philosophy off of various tenets from different religions like Neo-Druidism and Jainism.

Tower418
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Jul 2010, 10:19 pm

Yes, I believe in God. I am a Christian and attend a Christian school. However, I think people have traditions that do not necessarily come from the Bible. Traditions in the disguise of "religion" that often confuse people and lead them away. I've found that if anybody tells you something that seems wrong or unfair you probably shouldn't believe it. My family and I study with Shepherd's Chapel. I've found that what is taught there seems to go in accordance with God's Word. I am not pushing my beliefs on anybody I'm simply telling you what I think.