Yes-Prodestant 18%  18%  [ 40 ]
Yes- Other 21%  21%  [ 47 ]
No 52%  52%  [ 114 ]
Total votes : 220

Battlegun
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jun 2013, 2:43 am

Definately. Born, raised, and living a Christian life.

Musicgirl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2013, 3:22 pm

Yew, I love Jesus with all my heart and have given my life to Him.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

10 Jul 2013, 12:12 am

I've never really been raised around Christianity like the rest of my family. My parents used to go to church every day, and my grandparents and most of my other family members go to church.

I can count on one hand how many times I've been to church in the last ten years. It's just something I can't grasp. I can't have faith in an idea I'm not used to.

Amberlena
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jul 2013, 8:58 pm

I'm a Christian.

Fray
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Jul 2013, 10:14 am

I said "Other" because I don't really believe in denominations.
I believe in the bible, not how fifty million different cultures interpret and twist it.

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 1:22 am

squatterandtheant wrote:
Religion foments bigotry, abuses children, fuels war, and abuses basic human rights.

There is no evidence of god whatsoever. It is simply wishful thinking.

Reason must prevail over blind faith.

Wise up!

In rebuttal;
There is evidence of the existence of a divine being
read Five Ways to Prove God Exists by Thomas Aquinas, just try and refute it, if you can give explanations as to how these five things could work without a god, then you may have a point, if you cannot then you are just making unfounded accusations.

Furthermore, everything you have accused of religion of doing has also been committed by atheists. Exhibit A, the Atheist Soviet Union, People's Republic of China, Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge, and communist Vietnam, all of whom had governments that officially declared Atheism as their state religion, so that religion would not get in the way of their communist ideology, as the communist manifesto instructed them to. These Atheist regimes did everything you accuse religion of and worse.

Furthermore religious people are capable of using reason, and those who are good at following their religion almost always use reason to enhance their ability to follow the doctrine of their faith.

And lastly, you aren't going to convince anyone to believe what you say if you just insult them and their beliefs and give no argument to support your view, all you will succeed in is making your own views sound angry and narrow-minded. As the ancient king Ashoka had said, those who insult the religious beliefs of others make their own look bad.

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 1:26 am

I am Diyinian.

Vertex
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Aug 2013, 4:14 pm

yelekam wrote:
squatterandtheant wrote:
Religion foments bigotry, abuses children, fuels war, and abuses basic human rights.

There is no evidence of god whatsoever. It is simply wishful thinking.

Reason must prevail over blind faith.

Wise up!

In rebuttal;
There is evidence of the existence of a divine being
read Five Ways to Prove God Exists by Thomas Aquinas, just try and refute it, if you can give explanations as to how these five things could work without a god, then you may have a point, if you cannot then you are just making unfounded accusations.

Furthermore, everything you have accused of religion of doing has also been committed by atheists. Exhibit A, the Atheist Soviet Union, People's Republic of China, Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge, and communist Vietnam, all of whom had governments that officially declared Atheism as their state religion, so that religion would not get in the way of their communist ideology, as the communist manifesto instructed them to. These Atheist regimes did everything you accuse religion of and worse.

Furthermore religious people are capable of using reason, and those who are good at following their religion almost always use reason to enhance their ability to follow the doctrine of their faith.

And lastly, you aren't going to convince anyone to believe what you say if you just insult them and their beliefs and give no argument to support your view, all you will succeed in is making your own views sound angry and narrow-minded. As the ancient king Ashoka had said, those who insult the religious beliefs of others make their own look bad.

So. Much. Win. :)

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 12:24 am

I am a non-denominational Christian.

Jezebel
Toucan
Toucan

23 Feb 2014, 3:52 am

AntDog wrote:
I am a non-denominational Christian.

Same here :D

Agdgdgwngo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Mar 2014, 5:34 am

I relatively recently got back in touch with my faith after having spent many years doubting the existence of a God. It was actually reading about a kind of mussel with a very specific method of feeding when it hit me that there has to be a guiding force in the universe. Like my dad says "No matter how long you shake a box of Legos, it will never turn into a racecar."

On a related note, the menu music for the Brave New World expansion for Civilization 5 brings tears to my eyes.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-54ZeOraes[/youtube]
[Mod. edit: Please note - YouTube video embedding will not work when the URL starts with "https" (this is also true for image embedding).
The URL has been edited from "https" to "http" so that the video is now embedded in the post]

Latin Version
Chorus:
Vidi terra novum et caelum, Sanctum civitatum.
Solo Tenor:
Vidi caelum novum, Terra novam a Deo
Primum caelum abiit, et prima terra abiit
Terra novum et caelum a Deo
Deo descendentem, a Deo.
Terra novam, caelum novum,
Novam Ierusalem, novam Ierusalem, Terra novam,
Terra novam et caelum
Afferent Gloriam honorem gentium in ilam Prima terra abiit
Terra novam et caelum et mare iam non est
Terra novam et caelum, Prima terra abiit
Terra novum et caelum
Terra novum et caelum
O gloria, gloria
Terra novam et caelum, quae prima abierunt
Terra gloria
amen.

English Translation
Chorus:
I saw a new earth and heaven, the holy city.
Solo Tenor:
I saw a new heaven, a new earth by God
For the first heaven and the first earth passed away.
A new heaven and earth by God
Descended from God, O God.
A new earth, a new heaven,
The new Jerusalem, a new Jerusalem, a new land,
A new heaven and earth truly, all the Gentile nations bring to it their honor and glory for the First earth had passed away
A new Heaven and a new earth, where the sea was no more
The new earth and heaven, the first earth had passed away
A new heaven and earth
A new heaven and earth
Oh glory, glory
The new earth and heaven, from the first one that passed away
the land of glory
Amen.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 6:54 am

my own logic leads me to no other conclusion that there is no "God" as defined in scripture (of any major religion in the world), although i choose to remain agnostic in respects to "something".

i have some knowledge of the 3 biggest holy books (bible, koran and torah), and while they do agree on most parts (the bible is mainly torah+ and the koran goes off the same grain of the bible, main difference that jesus was 'another profet'), they are also different on parts.
aside from the fact that they contradict themselves (genesis 1, god creates adam and eve, genisis 2, god creates adam, then makes even out of one of his ribs), they also count out the other religions as 'wrong'.

now, not all religions can be right, they are just too different for that, but they can all be wrong.

also, i have not seen a single shred of evidence that prooves that there is a god (of any description).
plenty of attempts are made, but everything they tried can also be explained by science without needing a god, invalidating it as evidence.
of course, this does not proove that there is no god, but as long as i dont have proof either way, i remain agnostic

LouHusky
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Apr 2014, 2:39 pm

I was force-fed Creationist Christianity for several years much to my despair. I appreciate that faith in a higher power is very important to many people but it's just not something I can believe in, there's too much evidence to the contrary in my opinion. I also despair at the enormous loss of life throughout human history that can be attributed to religion.

Lou