Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Rach
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2005, 6:36 pm

my mum wants me to take driving lessons 8O ...this for me, is akin to being hugged repetitively by a big fat man i dont know, who then invites all his friends to do th same thing 8O anyone else scared senseless by the prospect of learning to drive :oops: ?

alex
Developer
Developer

15 Dec 2005, 6:49 pm

codeman38 told me he couldn't drive.. he really wants to apparently though... and he is in his 20s!

Larval
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2005, 6:53 pm

I dunno, for me it wouldn't be that scary.

I've never tried to drive but I think I could get the hang of it. Then again I've always been really good with operating and controlling machines in general.

airbikecop
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Dec 2005, 7:04 pm

It isn't too hard.

Put the key in the ignition, turn it, slap the shifter into drive.

I will say, if you have a car or truck with column shift, it's a lot easier to get it into gear without looking. I can put it in the right gear 9.9 out of 10 times.

Column shift > Floor shift

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2005, 7:25 pm

I'm 22 and I lack the level of concentration required to drive an automatic transmission car...let alone a manual 8O

I've tried, cos having a car would be handy, though extremely costly...

rearden
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Dec 2005, 11:55 pm

I love driving.. Especially with a manual transmission, because I feel more connected to/in control of the car. Even in metropolitan areas in heavy traffic, I do fine.

My only problem is that I don't like having anybody in the car with me. Just their mere presence is a major distraction, let alone when they talk.

And the absolute worst is when we're driving somewhere and someone says "OOH OOH LETS STOP BY TARGET"...as I'm going 40 mph and the entrance is like 5 car lengths away. Presence of someone in car + that person saying something + derivation from planned route + sudden distraction + fast decision (do I slam on the brakes and pull in, pass it and turn around, or ignore their request?) = borderline meltdown.

Astarael
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2005, 6:40 am

Hey, don't worry, I was shaking really badly before my first driving lesson. It wasn't that bad after trying though. Dad just told me what to do and didn't really pressure me to go any faster then the 20km/h I was doing. What is it about driving that you dislike or fear? I know I was really scared of the whole experience in general so I didn't touch the accelorator for aages and just rolled around. If you aren't keen on driving ever in your life then you could leave it, but if you want to be able to you should just see how it is sitting in the driver's seat and looking at everything beforehand so you don't freak out as much.

Rach
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Dec 2005, 11:32 am

i'm not sure what i dont like...but if i start to think about it i get really panicky and shaky :oops: i know it will help me be independant but i so dont want to :cry:

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2005, 12:37 am

I dont drive.... I have my license but dont drive it just stresses me out outside of where I learned to drive (which isnt where I am living now) because theres not as many good side streets where Im living now.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

Larval
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2005, 4:15 pm

Sorry to hear that Endersdragon.

I'd just ride my bike a lot .. the nic thing about a bike is that if it gets to be too much then you can stop, get off, and just walk back home.....on a bike it tends to be easier to zen out as well.

Lurker_Extraordinaire
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Dec 2005, 1:54 pm

rearden wrote:
I love driving.. Especially with a manual transmission, because I feel more connected to/in control of the car. Even in metropolitan areas in heavy traffic, I do fine.

My only problem is that I don't like having anybody in the car with me. Just their mere presence is a major distraction, let alone when they talk.

And the absolute worst is when we're driving somewhere and someone says "OOH OOH LETS STOP BY TARGET"...as I'm going 40 mph and the entrance is like 5 car lengths away. Presence of someone in car + that person saying something + derivation from planned route + sudden distraction + fast decision (do I slam on the brakes and pull in, pass it and turn around, or ignore their request?) = borderline meltdown.

This is me exactly.

I looooove to drive and ride motorcyles.
The thing I like most about bikes is you're completly alone with the bike. No one to bother you, even if some was riding with you, you can't hear what their saying if they were talking.

I insist on having a standard transmission.....I find autos boring and I loose interest, get distracrted, and don't feel as connected with the car. I'm hyper-foucused on everything going on around. Predicting others actions, noticing how the car feels...pushing the limits hear and there. Me behind the wheel is kinda like playing a video game. I know my limits, I know my cars limits, and I know my limits in my car. For about 10 years now, I've had all my cars lowerd for handling purposes,... not to be a lowrider.

I simply can not talk on the phone while drive (don't want to anyway)
I rarley speak as it is and if a friend is on the car talking, I just sort of quasi-listen to him talk while he' in the car.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 7:24 pm

Larval wrote:
Sorry to hear that Endersdragon.

I'd just ride my bike a lot .. the nic thing about a bike is that if it gets to be too much then you can stop, get off, and just walk back home.....on a bike it tends to be easier to zen out as well.

I cant ride a bike my sense of balance is shot.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

CRACK
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2005, 2:46 pm

EVERYONE, both NT and non-NT, is usually afraid to drive their first time. My muscles would always cramp up when I first started driving because of how stiff and careful I was trying to be. But I learned to relax after a while.

Even though I have my license I almost never drive. I have this sort of anxiety about driving anywhere that I don't already know the precise route to. It would feel to me like time was passing too quickly and my mind is trying to catch up.

merll2005
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Dec 2005, 3:01 am

Lurker_Extraordinaire wrote:

This is me exactly.

I looooove to drive and ride motorcyles.
The thing I like most about bikes is you're completly alone with the bike. No one to bother you, even if some was riding with you, you can't hear what their saying if they were talking.

I insist on having a standard transmission.....I find autos boring and I loose interest, get distracrted, and don't feel as connected with the car. I'm hyper-foucused on everything going on around. Predicting others actions, noticing how the car feels...pushing the limits hear and there. Me behind the wheel is kinda like playing a video game. I know my limits, I know my cars limits, and I know my limits in my car. For about 10 years now, I've had all my cars lowerd for handling purposes,... not to be a lowrider.

I simply can not talk on the phone while drive (don't want to anyway)
I rarley speak as it is and if a friend is on the car talking, I just sort of quasi-listen to him talk while he' in the car.

Same here. Except for the motorcycle thing. Never ridden one but I do want one. Also I prefer a stick but I don't need one. tHen again if I had a manual for very long that might change. When I went driving with a real instuctor I was fine. All he did was tell me where to go plenty of time in advance and give pointers while stopped and off the road for anything small. He let me drive. When I drive with my mother even after having my licence for over a year she will try to drive the car. Also instead of saying fturn right up ahead, the corner is sharp. She goes off about the turn until after it is behind the car.

TheOrangeMage
Toucan
Toucan

21 Dec 2005, 3:28 pm

I go in for my license exam in 30 minutes. I shall bring news of success quickly, and new of failure less quickly. 8)

rhubarbpluscustard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jan 2006, 11:36 am

I can't drive even though I'm old enough to. I would be a horrible driver- mowing down old ladies because of absent-mindedness or clumsiness or both. Besides, my mother needs the car.