Meeting successful young adult(18 and older) with Asperger's

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

kapkan99
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Jul 2013, 10:21 pm

I have a 14yr old son who insist on saying people with Asperger's have brain damage. I never told him he has brain damage. Whenever I've tried to explain to him about Asperger's I've always used terms like "thinking outside the box" and told him some of the most brilliant people in history had Asperger's so he's in good company and it only means because of the way he uses his mind he can accomplish great things. He gets mad and tells me to stop saying he's smart because he thinks of himself as stupid and lazy. I would like him to meet some young adults with Asperger's who have finished high school and are successful in college and/or the workforce. I was wondering if any of you found it helpful to meet older people with Asperger's. I would also like to know how you felt the first time you were told you had Asperger's. As teenagers what tips could you give me to help my son realize that he does have great potential to accomplish whatever he wants in life. He's very verbal, intelligent and functions fairly well day to day. Like most Aspies he does have a hard time making friends although most of the people he meets tell me he's a nice young man but seems a little shy. If any of you think I just need to leave the issue alone and stop being such a worrisome mother don't be afraid to let me know. I need the total truth.
Thanks

Zarith
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jul 2013, 10:02 am

Want my advice, as an 18 year old who's been in your son's position? Make him a poster of all those brilliant people in history who had Asperger's. Especially include people who've done things that he's interested in (eg if he likes writing, include Mark Twain). If that doesn't work, leave things alone and let him figure things out in his own time. Also there's a possibility that he might be using this "Aspies have brain damage" thing as an excuse for not having to put in any effort in school.