Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2011, 12:57 pm

As a mom of a preteen boy with High Functioning Autism, what would be your best advice in helping me understanding him? If you had the opportunity to tell your mom one specific thing (if you haven't already), what would that one thing be?

My son is a very sweet, silly, and sensitive person. Sometimes he gets very aggressive over things he can't explain, which will last for a couple of weeks. I'm tired of guessing and walking on egg shells when he's in this "cycle" so if there's any insight of something you may be going through, please share your thoughts :)

Thanks everyone!

Zayle79
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Apr 2011, 8:22 pm

One of the biggest things is the expectations you have for him. In things that aspies aren't great with (social skills, empathy, etc.) don't set high expectations. Many parents do this without realizing it and it puts a lot of stress on aspie kids.

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2011, 9:29 pm

Thanks Zayle! I guess it all depends on what it is I'm doing that I'm not realizing. :)
Anyone else?

bcousins
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2011, 11:06 pm

In responce to this question

ASDsmom wrote:
If you had the opportunity to tell your mom one specific thing (if you haven't already), what would that one thing be?

Mum, GOOGLE IT! The answer is out there

trojan51
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 May 2011, 11:41 pm

Allow him to experience life through trial and error, so that he has a better understanding of himself.

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2011, 1:06 am

bcousins, I did google and it led me here.. a perfect place to post the question :)

trojan, I hear ya. I've had to take a step back with the "preventative measures" as it's only made me the "bad guy" oppose to someone trying to prevent a bad situation from happening.

trojan51
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 May 2011, 1:13 am

Oh now i realize your son has HFA and not AS, helping may be harder then as HFA is lower functioning than AS.

bcousins
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2011, 3:33 am

Yeah, Most people only ferret through the first page, Not the following 500-1000 pages afterwards.

But yeah, A valid point.

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 6:50 pm

bcousins wrote:
Yeah, Most people only ferret through the first page, Not the following 500-1000 pages afterwards.

That's your assumption. We live in a technical world where people (in my opinion) spend waaaaay too much time on their computers, myself included. Unless there are stats I'm not aware about, to conclude people wouldn't research further has me confused.