My 14 year old daughter is being evaluated for autism?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Mnby
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Sep 2012, 8:13 am

She was diagnosed as PDD-NOS by her psychologist, but is being evaluated by a developmental pediatrician soon also. What will happen? What tests will she go though? What will I be asked? Any tips on making the evaluation as accurate as possible?

If you went though this please tell me how it went. I'm so nervous .

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

28 Sep 2012, 12:26 pm

First of all, there's no reason to be nervous. You're helping her get what she needs.

It depends on the region you're in. Where are you living/getting her evaluated?

Natalya
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Oct 2012, 7:47 am

Mnby wrote:
She was diagnosed as PDD-NOS by her psychologist, but is being evaluated by a developmental pediatrician soon also. What will happen? What tests will she go though? What will I be asked? Any tips on making the evaluation as accurate as possible?
If you went though this please tell me how it went. I'm so nervous .

You may be given these questionnaire things, with ratings of 1 to 6 (6 being severe), asking questions like, does she has a funny gait when walking, if she plays with other children, etc. But then, the thing is, I'm British.
My clinical pyschologist wanted a full developmental history from my parents (anything like, when I walked and was toilet-trained, to, did I make gestures when I wanted things, to, did I have friends when I was young). Also, she gave a questionnaire to my form tutor, to do as well.
On making it accurate? My diagnosis was two pages long, and my pyschologist and I went through a draft copy to make sure it was to my liking. I've heard of horror stories where a diagnosis was finalised, shipped out to the GP and the school, and then the autistic person themself finds out that there is all different kinds of inaccurate things on there. Mind you, all those stories were by Brits, and I'm a Brit too.
The most important thing is, read up on it. Read, understand, learn and absorb. My parents were given a month to read up on autism before I was diagnosed, but a year later, they still pick at me for being 'rude' and also, the food-not-touching thing I recommend Tony Attwood - if you look at the sample (on Amazon) of the Guide to Parents and Professionals, you'll see the quiz thing that I'm talking about.
Good luck. :)