Aspies: would we have a different experience of adolescence?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 1:02 pm

And I don't mean "lonely and isolated" instead of "happy and carefree".

What I mean is while we go through basically the same maturity stages as NT's, it comes later than our physical stages, so we don't worry about our looks and physical changes because while we're emotionally in like, the 7th grade, we already have a smoking hot 15-year-old body lol.

Though an issue with guys would be the mental aspect of physical activity, due to our executive functioning issues.

largosan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Aug 2012, 8:15 pm

muslimmetalhead wrote:

What I mean is while we go through basically the same maturity stages as NT's, it comes later than our physical stages, so we don't worry about our looks and physical changes because while we're emotionally in like, the 7th grade, we already have a smoking hot 15-year-old body lol.

Though an issue with guys would be the mental aspect of physical activity, due to our executive functioning issues.

I am not emotionally behind, I am emotionally different.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

11 Aug 2012, 12:19 pm

largosan wrote:
muslimmetalhead wrote:

Agreed. No two people on the spectrum are the same.

kill231
Toucan
Toucan

11 Aug 2012, 2:57 pm

The main difference is that I don't really care about who is in love with who for me. Also I tend to be a bit naive in the face of certain topics. Besides that I have quite a few friends in my school and I'm the only student with AS in my school. Cheers for me! :D

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 4:38 pm

largosan wrote:
muslimmetalhead wrote:

AS is a DEVELOPMENTAL impairment, that is our emotional development is impaired.

You just seem to not have a lot of ambition.

@MakaylaTheAspie

No sh!t, obviously all people are different, and depending on the intensity of your impairment, you'd be at a different developmental stage.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

11 Aug 2012, 4:56 pm

muslimmetalhead wrote:
@MakaylaTheAspie

No sh!t, obviously all people are different, and depending on the intensity of your impairment, you'd be at a different developmental stage.

I think YOU needed to be reminded that.

It's a developmental disorder, not a "You're screwed forever and no one will like you unless you conform to stereotypical society" disorder. You have a brain, start using it.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 6:57 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
muslimmetalhead wrote:
@MakaylaTheAspie

I think YOU needed to be reminded that.

It's a developmental disorder, not a "You're screwed forever and no one will like you unless you conform to stereotypical society" disorder. You have a brain, start using it.

Haha I never said that, just that we're somewhat behind. That's it.

You can live a life of purpose and integrity with Asperger's, definitely.

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 10:02 pm

largosan wrote:

This, so much.

Muslimmetalhead, the way I see it, AS is a very complex, variable, and multifaceted condition that can't at all be described by saying "emotionally behind the norm by X years". Some people with AS may be emotionally immature, and some are not(it isn't one of the diagnostic criteria, after all). AS manifests itself in many different ways, and some people with the condition have fairly normal emotional regulation abilities and are able to emotionally relate to others(empathy).

The vast majority of times, AS will contribute to some kind of emotional abnormality. But to describe it as "emotionally immature" is a gross oversimplication, and probably false as often as it is true.

I could get behind "socially immature", though.

kill231
Toucan
Toucan

12 Aug 2012, 1:30 pm

UnLoser wrote:
largosan wrote:

This, so much.

Muslimmetalhead, the way I see it, AS is a very complex, variable, and multifaceted condition that can't at all be described by saying "emotionally behind the norm by X years". Some people with AS may be emotionally immature, and some are not(it isn't one of the diagnostic criteria, after all). AS manifests itself in many different ways, and some people with the condition have fairly normal emotional regulation abilities and are able to emotionally relate to others(empathy).

The vast majority of times, AS will contribute to some kind of emotional abnormality. But to describe it as "emotionally immature" is a gross oversimplication, and probably false as often as it is true.

I could get behind "socially immature", though.

I couldn't agree more. And as MakalyaTheAspie said no two people on the spectrum are the same. Muslimmetalhead. Most of us have more logic when compared to non-autistics. Remember. Think before you talk or should I say think before you type.

Opinion changes. Logic lasts.

UDAspie13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2012, 12:45 pm

I definitely feel like I have a different experience.
All my friends are either going crazy over guys, sports, clothes, etc.
I am mainly just obsessing over my chinchillas and piano.
I have one likeminded friend who could not care less about clothes or guys or whatnot.

BenPritchard
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2012, 3:20 pm

muslimmetalhead wrote:
so we don't worry about our looks and physical changes because while we're emotionally in like, the 7th grade, we already have a smoking hot 15-year-old body lol.

I'm not even 15 yet and I feel way older than the "7th grade." Stop presuming we're all too emotionally immature for our ages. We're not all like that. Everybody is different in this spectrum, as almost everybody has said by now.

Curiotical
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2012, 11:14 am

muslimmetalhead wrote:

I highly doubt that "happy and carefree" would be an accurate description of most Aspies' adolescence.

muslimmetalhead wrote:

Speak for yourself. I am much more mature than any of my NT classmates. AS is highly variable. No two people on the spectrum are the same. I am perfectly aware of the changes in my body caused by puberty, and just because your personal appearance isn't important to you doesn't mean that mine isn't important to me.

muslimmetalhead wrote:
Haha I never said that, just that we're somewhat behind.

I - along with many others on the spectrum - am not at all emotionally behind. Please stop making these potentially offensive generalizations. You may be emotionally behind, but do not simply assume that others are too.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2012, 12:13 pm

Don't blame him. He's just an idiot with an adult-like complex.

Oh wait, that was a generalization.

See how that works?