Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

stepho99
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Oct 2012, 5:38 am

I've always seen myself as shy and quiet whenever I'm with unfamiliar people, and I've never really thought there was any problem with me until this girl at a summer camp who I'm friends with said: "You know, at first I thought you were autistic." And I've been thinking about this ever since. I do have really bad social skills, but it's not like I don't understand what other people mean. But, I think it's other people who don't understand what I mean. Like for example, in that summer camp, one of the counselors tried to get me to sing the camp songs along with other people. But I was feeling a bit sad at something that just happened a few hours ago, so I said to her "But I'm not really in the mood for it right now, can you just leave me alone?" but she just kept on persisting until I finally had to sing those songs even though I didn't want to. >_< I think I know what she's thinking. She's probably thought "Oh, this girl is so shy and quiet. I should make her sing so that she has more confidence in herself" or something or something like that. I always find that I do like things in a particular way. For example, I hate it when people tear, not cut, a piece of paper, because the edges seem too "unfinished", and I just have to trim them. When I was younger, I had to line up all my stuffed animals in a particular order, or else I wouldn't be able to sleep. And now, I have to pray before I sleep or else I couldn't sleep either. And there's a lot more things that I haven't talked about. I'm actually okay with bright lights and loud noises, and I even like my music to be turned on really loud. Oh, and also, my science teacher has recently started asking me "Are you okay?" every time before lessons, which I think is weird. She's started asking me ever since she told my best friends off for "bullying and excluding me" even though I'm pretty sure they weren't. 8O I took the aspie test, and I scored 28. But I've asked my dad (who's a doctor) a few times about whether I'm autistic, but each time he says no.

Curiotical
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 2:27 pm

It sounds to me like you do have mild Asperger's Syndrome.

Even if your dad is a credible doctor, he may not be the best person to ask. He might not want to admit that his little girl is in some way "imperfect". Asperger's is not an imperfection but generally, it is viewed as such.

If you are desperate for a diagnosis, you should try to get an opinion from an other doctor but if it doesn't cause you too many problems in life, the pursuit of an official diagnosis probably won't be very useful.

physicsnut42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Oct 2012, 7:04 am

Looks like mild aspergers to me.

sadmom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Oct 2012, 8:55 am

I think also that you are likely mildly Aspie. Which in and of itself is not a bad thing at all, and don't let anyone tell you it is a bad thing! But the label might help you understand why you are different. As you get older, I hope you can learn to love the differences, and your unique perspective on the world. There are a lot of NT people out there, and you are blessed with being slightly Aspie, and not crushed under the weight of being so autistic as to be nonfunctional. You will find people who will love your unique views, and ability to think outside the box. Good luck!