Page 1 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Do you tell people that you have asperger?
yes 48%  48%  [ 78 ]
no 52%  52%  [ 86 ]
Total votes : 164

Garrett
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Sep 2007, 4:08 am

I do but, so far I only told people on the computer that I have it because then, I won't have to deal with them if they are snotty.

I think it depends on who you are talking to, most people are nice and caring enough not to mock you for having it but, there are some mean, ignorant, non caring people that will mock you but, they are mostly mean to every one. I think that you shouldn’t tell any jerks that you have it. You can tell your friends that you have it because, sense they know you they most likely won't mock you for it. I think it would be better if you told someone about it so, you don’t have to keep hiding it. The only thing is, some people don’t know what it is and some might be envious of you for having it, that’s why they are not very nice.

mouapp
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Sep 2007, 5:03 am

i dont because i dont want to be treated differently ............. i dont want to end up blaming everything that goes wrong on AS or feel that im justified for being a jerk

LadyMahler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Sep 2007, 8:14 am

Quote:
...being a jerk

I hate feeling like that. :( But I do, all the time. And I'm not a jerk.

Damn.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 8:20 am

people know, anyway.
They are mostly too polite to mention it and get all uncomfortable when you DO mention it.

do you really think they don't notice you are all ASD unless you tell them?
They know SOMETHING'S up, surely!

Comet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 8:30 am

I dont unless i really have to which isnt often i dont see much point in telling people,

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 10:05 am

Unless there's a specific reason to self-identify as an Aspie, why do so? Much as one might like to think that the world is full of open-minded, intelligent, educated people, it's not. Label yourself as different, and you'll be treated differently (and not always in a manner you'd like) by an awful lot of people. Before you self-identify, you're "unique" or "eccentric" or maybe "peculiar". Once you do, you're "disabled" or "the nut case" or similar. Unfortunately, people do talk so it gets around.

If being Aspie is causing you to have extreme difficulties in school or at work that you simply cannot work around, you may have to provide the information on the chance you can improve your position/problems. You do have to go through the motions of claiming your disability and asking for accommodation to be protected under the law (US law, anyway). If you don't, and you're not functioning well, you have no recourse if they fire you/demote you/toss you out of school.

Remember that the accommodations you might be able to get up through high school are not necessarily going to follow you once you pass into the workforce or college. They don't - what the public school system has to do for you up through grade 12 ends at grade 12. Things change very dramatically afterward, so it's best to plan ahead.

Of course, if you're already working, once you do get outed as an Aspie on the job you're at risk of being labeled as "that person with the weird disability" - with a good chance of having any hope for a decent career progression shot out from under you unless you become extremely proactive and pushy about it. You'll have to be 200% better at what you do than the person next to you who is not a known Aspie just to get the same outcome. Life tends to work that way.

If you can pretty much pass as NT, I'd suggest keeping your personal information private and not sharing it with anyone you don't know very well. What would you really gain from broadcasting, anyway? Who really needs to know?

So no, to answer your question. I do not tell people I'm an Aspie.

Malachi_Rothschild
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Sep 2007, 12:19 pm

I have been telling people around me that I suspect I am but I think I should stop being so open. The typical response is one of sympathy or an attempt to make me feel better and I have no interest in that at all. I only state it when it seems relevant and only as an observation. To be quite honest it's mostly comforting because I've been able to understand myself much better than I was ever able to before.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 7:51 pm

and to add insult to injury. . .I find people have no clue as to what I am talking about and have no curiousity about it at all!

Merle

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 9:27 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
and to add insult to injury. . .I find people have no clue as to what I am talking about and have no curiousity about it at all!

Merle

Yeah, isn't it a bummer being "an inconvenience", Merle? :?

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 9:34 pm

Nan wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:

Merle

Yeah, isn't it a bummer being "an inconvenience", Merle? :?

oh, s**T! I never thought about it that way. . of course I am! Good gawd. . .I had better shut the f**K up, then.

(I just thought people would find it curious. .but no. . .I am thinking like me again, and they don't thinklike me. . .they think like they do. . . and they don't like anything really different. . .makes 'em uncomfortable. . sheesh, what an idiot I am. . .)

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

29 Sep 2007, 5:30 am

I don't tell people unless it is important...such as if I am applying for a job and they needed to know because I can't be in some situations etc.

onefourninezero
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Sep 2007, 6:46 am

I don't tell people unless it's absolutely necessary.

Crimson_Phantom
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Sep 2007, 7:49 pm

I never tell anyone unless there comes a situation that I need to. I dont want people to treat me different then they do now, I need to keep my mind in shape. Besides, it builds character.

I dont know what would happen if people did know, if they'd be a bit less cruel, or more. But to be safe, I'm never telling anyone.

DeStRuCtO
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Sep 2007, 9:33 pm

I don't like telling people I have AS just because they'll treat me differently if they know.
It's even worse that they treat you differently and they don't even know what AS is. Thinking it's something like ADD.

The other day in writing class, we were going over a poem written by an autistic person. I piped up and said that I has AS. Everyone was silent and the teacher thought she offended me by talking about the poem.

That kind of upset me a bit.

And that's one of the reasons why I don't tell others I have AS

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2007, 2:57 pm

I do, but most of the people I meet are total snobs and talk to me as if I don't understand anything. :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Stockton
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Oct 2007, 3:25 pm

I only tell people when it's relevant.