I CANNOT BELIEVE WHAT MY SISTER AND COUSIN SAID...

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zshampo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jul 2008, 12:42 pm

we were talking about that show the secret life of the American teenager. i was asking what the name was of the one who had down syndrome(tom, if you know the show). and they told me and then i said " does he do a good job of pretending to have down syndrome?" because i don't watch the show, and my sister was like " you can tell he has down syndrome in real life because of his face" and my cousin was like "yeah", basically saying that all people with mental illnesses look the same. i just stood there looking shocked and they were like "well its true".

i haven't told them yet about my suspected AS and now i am afraid to!

sorgenfri
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jul 2008, 12:58 pm

People with Downs syndrome have special face features, people with AS do not. Thats have they could tell he had Downs syndrome in real life.

krunk_crew
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jul 2008, 1:12 pm

Don't be afraid to they should like you for you and should see past your illness!! If not you don't need them because they will just put you down!! :cry:

Detren
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jul 2008, 3:01 pm

There are a couple physical features that are common in people with Down's Syndrome. People with this have somehow received an extra chromosome from their parents.

I pulled it up on wikipedia but they don't seem to have many pictures with it.

click me for the wikipedia site

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2008, 4:16 pm

neither down's syndrome nor asperger's syndrome are mental illnesses.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2008, 4:27 pm

sorgenfri wrote:
People with Downs syndrome have special face features, people with AS do not. Thats have they could tell he had Downs syndrome in real life.

that's true. Even if your sister had been guilty of over-generalising, it wouldn't have been intended to hurt you, as she doesn't know you might have AS.

I know it's really easy to be over-sensitive to comments like this: When I first thought I had AS, I went around thinking everyone could tell, despite having never heard of it before. Don't let casual comments like this put you off telling your family if that's what you want to do :)

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2008, 4:41 pm

My mom said she noticed alot of people with AS have cleft chins

Chaotica
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2008, 5:10 pm

Never mind! These two syndroms are absolutely different. And Aspies are often more beautiful even then NT's :wink:

20 Jul 2008, 7:54 pm

Sometimes it's hard to tell someone has DS because theirs is so mild, it's so hard to see the difference in their face than normal ones.

I didn't see anything in OP's post where he was put down. :?

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2008, 8:13 pm

here you go: browse these pictures

www.downssupport.org.uk/images

I went to school with a boy who had down's syndrome. One would only need to glance at him to know that. With the exception of the mild cases mentioned you can tell that someone has it just by looking at their face

21 Jul 2008, 1:48 am

It said it was forbidden and I don't have access to the page.

I was watching Nick News when I was 15 and they were talking about bullying. This 11 year old girl started talking and she was overweight (she wasn't fat) and my dad said she had Down syndrome. I asked him how he knew and he said just by looking at her. I looked at her but I still couldn't tell but I have known other DS people and I could tell they had it. But with that girl on TV I couldn't so that's why I assumed mild. And she didn't sound ret*d either, she sounded normal and there was no weird talk. I am not trying to be insulting when I am saying this, I can't think of other words to use. I knew a girl with DS and she was my friend and she talked different because her tongue was bigger than normal. That's why she stuck her tongue out when she be eating.

I couldn't even tell my old neighbor had FAS but my mother could tell because his head was real big and his ears were lower than normal. I thought his face was big from fat because he was overweight and I did not know his ears were that low. I suspected he had FAS though because I heard his mother drank when she was pregnant with him so I suspected it. her He also had ADHD and my mother said that is part of FAS. he also showed signs of AS and even my dad noticed it too but I wasn't sure if he had it or not. His mother neglected him because she could not afford a baby sitter and child neglect and poor parenting can cause problems for the child such as poor hygiene and cause them to have lack of friends. He also had obsessions and didn't seem to think of other people.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 8:40 am

Hmm I must have accidentally posted the wrong link - I had several tabs open. Too bad too I was trying to link to a site with 7 pages of pictures of DS kids

But for the original poster look at this page anyway http://www.downssupport.org.uk/links.html and if that doesn't work take out the links part and then click on links when the page opens. There is a picture of a girl with down's syndrome

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 12:56 pm

it would suck to look like a person with DS and not have it.

Julia_the_Great
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jul 2008, 6:02 pm

First of all, don't worry, DS people have physical features, e.g. flat face, small ears, narrow eyes. There are a lot of people I know who I didn;t even realize were Aspies.

Second of all, please, nobody get offended, but how do you tell if an Asian has DS?

aspiebeauty87
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Jul 2008, 8:28 pm

I hate that show to me it glofyies teenagers getting pregnent which is a bad reference. There's a person with down syndrome on there? cool if there is i'll actually watch it i like to see people with developmental disablities act because it gives me hope that i could do it since i love to act.

aspiebeauty87
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Jul 2008, 8:31 pm

martymoose wrote:
My mom said she noticed alot of people with AS have cleft chins

haha, that's funny i'm AS & i don't have a cleft chin i look like a regular person