For Aspies/Auties That Have Younger Siblings...

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 3:49 pm

Do you ever feel like you're not a good enough older sibling to your younger siblings?

I have 3 siblings and I am the oldest. I feel this way all the time.

-SpaceCase

Flow
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 4:13 pm

All the time.
I have 2 younger brothers.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 4:14 pm

No, not really. :)

Nijihamu-chan
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Feb 2007, 4:50 pm

Not really, But i have 1 younger brother

EricAKATheBelgianGuy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Feb 2007, 5:17 pm

At times. Maybe because my younger brother is a little critical at times.

RTSgamerFTW
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 5:27 pm

I have only one,and he's 26.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

07 Feb 2007, 5:44 pm

Never thought about it. I think I've been pretty good to Lisa (my 14 year old sister. Or was it 13...?). Mum once said that we get along well because my AS cuts my mental age by two years to match hers.

Hmm, I wonder what I was like at age 1, eh?

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 6:34 pm

its been hard because I am two and a half years older and certainly that much more mature, but because I have had disabilities in the real world, there has been a lot of competition, and no matter what I did, he did better. Being a very uncompetitive person, I wouldn't care if he surpassed me if I just had the fundamental things I wanted such as friends, but because I had NOTHING, and because my dad taught me that only success matters, I was very bitter at him. Examples of him surpassing me include wrestling, friendships, civil air patrol, driving (they made me wait, but they let him drive as soon as he was old enough), academics and many little stuff. He knew I was the older one and he respected me, but there were times when he would bring up my inadequacies and I would get EXTREMELY angry at him for this.

Now he is at the Air Force Academy, a prestigious place worthy of respect, while here I am stuck at Shepherd University, a school that literally accepts 99 percent of its applicants (my dad made me go here). But despite this, we now have a good relationship. I am no longer bitter at him for doing somehting better at the academy because I have really started to make friends now and I have a lot of potential, and its easier not being around each other in social circles as we were in high school. I realize also that he actually looks up to me. but as you get older, the age difference begins to matter less.

It was unfortunate I had to be bitter towards him because our personalities are very similar and I can relate to him on so many things.

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 9:49 pm

Sometimes. We are total opposites and I'm often very harsh towards him (he's 13). So, yeah, I feel like a bad sibling.
On the other hand, I stand up for outside of the house and have solved several bullying problems. I'm not completely awful all the time.

Three years!

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 10:03 pm

Well, if being 5 minutes older counts.....But I don't feel like a good enough daughter.

Kamex
Raven
Raven

09 Feb 2007, 5:28 pm

I have a brother who's younger than me by 2 years. I've never been a good "older brother" in that sense, but I don't feel I need to be. I seem to be even less in touch with my culture than most aspies, because I don't see how my being born in '87 instead of '89 obligates me to somehow be a superior being to him. But maybe there's more to it than that and I just don't get it.

I've always thought of him as my older brother, because he's more mature than me. Recently, our relationship has withered somewhat from him isolating himself from his family in order to spend all his time playing World of Warcraft, but even now, we never fight. We've only had one argument in our entire lives, at least that I remember, it and it was quickly resolved.