Kind of 48%  48%  [ 12 ]
Not really 20%  20%  [ 5 ]
I can barely read them at all. 16%  16%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 25

IceCreamGirl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2010, 5:39 pm

I've noticed that Aspies on the Adolescent forum usually do better on the Reading the Mind in the Eyes quiz than most of my NT friends. I wonder if a lot of Aspies go from having trouble reading faces to being very good at it.

P.S. I got a 23

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2010, 6:05 pm

Link?

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2010, 6:37 pm

Found this test:

http://www.questionwritertracker.com/in ... n=Z4MK3TKB

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2010, 6:54 pm

Faces: Yes
Body Language: Sort of
Tone of voice: OH YEAH!
Eyes: No way!

I think I'm just bad at reading eyes, but don't have a hard time with faces. I actually find eyes distracting when trying to read someone's face.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2010, 7:43 pm

Interesting link - thanks :)

Megz
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2010, 9:13 pm

Wallourdes wrote:

I got a 9. The exact amount you would expect to get with random guessing. Yeah out of context I'm totally clueless. In context I'm only mostly clueless lol :wink:

IceCreamGirl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2010, 10:16 am

MidlifeAspie wrote:
Link?

Just search "reading the mind in the eyes."

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2010, 5:24 pm

Reading Faces: yes
Gestures/body language: depends, but usually yes
Tone of voice: most people aren't hard to read in that respect. Other aspies however are like robots and don't always show much emotion. It takes an aspie or a psychologist to figure out what other aspies are feeling.

Gedaechtnis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Dec 2010, 9:20 pm

Reading faces: no way. I failed that test.
Body language: not really
Voice: definitely

jamiethesilent
Raven
Raven

31 Dec 2010, 5:49 pm

How does someone's eyes relate to there emotions?? Most of the words listed did not say what I read the eyes as..

Body language: Useless. Though after taking a course in the theory I do try a lot harder to "read" someone.

Tone of voice: Monotone. Like a robot. As monotonic as you can get.

Faces: I can only read 2 facial expressions: Happy :) & Sad :cry: . Hence I tilt my head when I am confused and I have virtually no facial expressions. I very rarely smile or move my face muscles.

- Cruch Bang Linux.

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2010, 10:19 pm

I can read body language and facial expressions pretty well in pictures or on TV. This is mostly because I can see what the context is. Real life, when everything moves more quickly and I have to pay attention to more things, is very different. I'm not good at reading real people.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2011, 3:58 pm

I got a 23 in the test.

-froggo-
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2011, 4:17 pm

I got 22.

I'm not awful at reading faces, I suppose, just not good at it.

I tend to follow the following idea:

- Squinty eyes = angry
- Side ways eyes = shifty
- Wide eyes = happy
- Shiny eyes = lust

And, I've just remembered someone telling me that looking down = sad.

I don't think that's right, but I did read a body language book with some pictures and it seemed to indicate that wider eyed drawings were 'nicer' (happy) and that narrow eyes were not as popular (angry).

So, I based my answers off that.

I don't look at people's eyes enough in rl to put that into use, though, because I tend to find eyes off putting. But, overall, I don't think I'm completely awful; other people seem to have different opinion, though. Also, when I'm trying to figure out someone's facial expression, apparently I look like I'm staring at them... so I try to avoid it.

Helixstein
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2011, 6:52 pm

I am not terribly good at decoding body language messages. I can register certain faces, but I do have difficult deciphering gestures and sarcasm.

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2011, 7:43 pm

Tried Wallourdes' test, got a 25. Can't understand how results are delivered though.
"An average score for this test is 26.2 or 21.9 for an adult with Asperger's Syndrome or High Functioning Autism".
Now what is that supposed to mean? Was my score high or low? High or low on what, exactly? And what do they score, the number of times you got it right or the number of times you got it wrong?

I am not good reading eyes anyway. I can gauge more from the posture and the face.
Tone of voice confuses me and I can't integrate the content of what's been said with how it sounded when being said. I react to the tone of voice rather to the words, much like a dog, now I come to think about it. That's why I like people who talk calmly but firmly, without much emotion so I could relax and really listen to the information content.

RainBullet
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jan 2011, 8:20 pm

Severus wrote:
Tried Wallourdes' test, got a 25. Can't understand how results are delivered though.
"An average score for this test is 26.2 or 21.9 for an adult with Asperger's Syndrome or High Functioning Autism".
Now what is that supposed to mean? Was my score high or low? High or low on what, exactly? And what do they score, the number of times you got it right or the number of times you got it wrong?

You scored higher than the average adult with AS, but lower than an average NT I think. And yes, a score of 25 means you got 25 out of 36 correct :) So for an aspie, your ability to read emotion from people's eyes are above average! :D