My only support about to die.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Immured
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Aug 2008, 8:55 am

I have been living with my uncle for awhile as I look for work. Between my anxiety and the fact that I've not had a job nor any other relevant experience before has made it difficult--even the grocery stores do not seem to want to hire me. My uncle is very ill and I fear he is nearing his end. I have no family or anyone else left to take me in. I'm 23, not a minor so I fear I will just be left on my own on the streets. I'm just so depressed and alone--what can I do?

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 8:59 am

Where do you live?

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 9:06 am

If that unfortunate event comes to happen, you'll have to remember to try harder, getting throw to the streets is certainly not what him would have wanted for you, you need to honor the work and effort it took your uncle to support you and put your max effort on getting a job, don't give up. I am sure there is something out there you can do. I won't lie, It will be hard to find a job, but not only is it your only choice, you also need to find out that you are capable of doing it.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 11:00 am

You will need to go to a county or state vocational rehabilitation office. They will help you find work if you have a diagnosis.
Have you looking into SSI?
I am so sorry about your uncle.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 11:21 am

sometimes it takes something as devistating as losing your (I assume) beloved uncle to force us to do things we would not necessarily do on our own. You can look up the agencies that work with developmentally disabled in your area and let them know your DX and your needs and find out if they have any information or support they can assist you with.

Try to remember your uncle needs you too, at this time.

Immured
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Aug 2008, 12:45 pm

schleppenheimer wrote:
Where do you live?

U.S.

Vexcalibur wrote:
If that unfortunate event comes to happen, you'll have to remember to try harder, getting throw to the streets is certainly not what him would have wanted for you, you need to honor the work and effort it took your uncle to support you and put your max effort on getting a job, don't give up. I am sure there is something out there you can do. I won't lie, It will be hard to find a job, but not only is it your only choice, you also need to find out that you are capable of doing it.

Thanks for the advice. I've been trying my best and thought I was finally making headway when I found out about volunteering, hoping the experience would help me find work. Now I need to find something quickly, but I tend to confine myself to the paper and online ads. My agoraphobia isn't as bad as it used to be, but it is extremely stressful and nauseating to wander around in public, especially on the streets.

lelia wrote:
You will need to go to a county or state vocational rehabilitation office. They will help you find work if you have a diagnosis.
Have you looking into SSI?
I am so sorry about your uncle.

Thank you for the condolences.
I don't have a diagnosis--would they still help me? I'm not adverse to work in the least, but the problem is finding any job I could do at all. The only place I don't apply is fast food because I'm sure being in that kind of environment very long would cause me headaches and nausea.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 3:32 pm

my suggestion-get one of those jobs you can work at from home
ya know

I wouldn't limit yourself-take anything you can get-like job wise, even if its fast food
I used to pick up trash, made good money
and I worked alone so it was actually not that bad