My how things can change.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

333Onfire
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Dec 2008, 11:47 pm

Hi, I used to be on here a lot, this is probably my first time posting in about 6 months. I just needed To vent because of all the stress I have been under. 6 Months ago I was in a great position. I did a course with my church for a year and had become more independant and felt great.

Then I moved back home and everything started to go down hill. Since september my brother has been in the hospital for 4 weeks and lost 15 pounds. He has hereditary pancrietitis. The car broke down, my dad broke his hip, my job cut my hours and I am done there in 2 days. My mom just went to the doctor for anti-depressents and sleep aids to help with the stress she is under because her uncle just died on top of everything else. So I am 21 years old, don't have my licence, live at home, now I have to look for work and I have know clue what to do with my life.

Thanks for listening to my rant it just seems like there is nothing more that could go wrong right now especialy since I had all these grand Ideas of what I was going to do.

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 11:55 pm

Sorry I can't offer any spectacular advice. All I can say is to hang in there. Life seems to throw stuff like this at you in waves. You just brace yourself to survive, then recoup and get ready for what's coming next. Every time you make it through, you come out stronger.

Hope things improve.

Happy holidays.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 12:31 am

I had to laugh, what else can go wrong? :lol:

The tide always turns.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 12:38 am

Sorry, I can't offer any advice either but to say stay strong.

I live at home to and have to look for work. It seems futile because I've never been able to get employed.

ike
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 1:12 am

I don't have much in the way of advice, but I will make a few book recommendations. If you're anything like me, these books will help you out a ton:

the Luck Factor by Richard Wiseman (very well respected scientist)
Learned Optimism by Martin Seligman (same)
Influencer (4 authors, can't remember their names - don't start with this one)
Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely (professor of behavioral economics at MIT)

-- okay that last one less so, but it's still an excellent book. :)

Anyway, the first two especially should help cheer you up. :)

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 4:15 pm

Wow, that's a lot to happen in a short time.

Try using the autism community to get away from NT stress. :)

You can talk to me if you want.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 6:21 am

If there's any way in heaven you can go away to study, DO THAT!

333Onfire
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Dec 2008, 6:09 pm

Thanks for all the advice, all of the stress seems to be making the AS tendencies a lot worse. I have become more anxious in social situations and my more obvious stims are coming back( pacing and sniffing). I was wondering if this is a common thing?

Also I have never been officially diagnosed but I know two or three doctors/teachers who deal with this a lot they mention AS after I had already self-diagnosed it, and I never mentioned it to them.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Dec 2008, 10:31 pm

Hello 333Onfire. It is hard to offer advice when it comes to a situation like yours. There seems to be a lot of things happening to make you feel bad lately. But I can say something---even though it may seem hard to believe---it could be worse. Now I don't expect that to make you feel better, but let's deal with your issues, but keep in mind I am no therapist or anything---but I do have Asperger's---and I can relate to you. I am also a teacher of the gifted and I see stress a lot in the classroom. So here it goes.

First---venting is good. Whenever you send your troubles for others to see and perhaps respond to---it is good. We are listening and sympathizing with you. We also have problems, but it does seem like it rained on you a bit heavily lately. But it will get better---and when it does, you should feel like a weight has been lifted.

Second---You did a course with your church and you felt better. Now, due to the stress, you are going downhill. But remember, it is possible for you to be up (feeling better). The church course must have offered you advice to deal with things. Can you recall how they got you to feel better? When things start to settle down in your life, can you recall those course things and feel better again? As the old song goes, "I've been down so long, it looks like up to me." In other words---it has to get better soon, and you will be on your way up to feeling better.

Third---Your brother's pancreatic problem is a concern. That can develop into bigger issues if not treated. However, your brother is in the care of physicians. There are numerous things that can be done to make him feel better and get him on the way to recovery. That condition can take several months to get under control---but it should go well. There is a lot that can be done for him.

Fourth---The car broke down. That is an inconvenience, but it can be fixed.

Fifth---Your Dad broke his hip. It will heal. Again an inconvenience.

Sixth---Your job cut your hours and you are done there in two days. There are other jobs. Can you get unemployment if you need to? I wasn't working a regular job until I was 23. You will get a job. Think positively.

Seventh---Your mother should do fine with the medicine she is receiving for her stress and for the loss of the uncle. Sorry about the uncle.

Eighth---You don't have your license. Can you get a license? If not, and you need to get places, how did you do it before? Can you catch a bus/cab? Do you know people that can get you places?

Ninth---You live at home. Well, at least you aren't making house payments for a house you have bought (I don't think). That's not that bad---unless you are looking for your own place right now. I lived at home all through college and didn't move out until I was 25. That's not uncommon for us Aspies (I lived with my parents until I was 25).

Tenth---You have no clue what to do with your life. When I was your age I was in my third year of college. I had switched my my major from mathematics to psychology. I had no clue what I wanted to do yet. Then, I decided to be a teacher of English. So it took me an extra year because I had switched majors three times. You're just 21, you have a lot of time. Don't worry about that. Whether you are in college or not, that's no big deal.

My dream in life was to own an amusement park complete with roller coaster, dark rides, and carousels. And you know what---it happened. I do own an amusement park. In fact, I own a whole town. But there is one slight problem. The town and amusement park are 1/87 full size. In other words, it is HO scale model railroad scale. I never got my real amusement park, but I did get it in a less grand way. You have grand ideas. Don't give up on them. If you find you can't make them happen, re-work them into a more manageable form like I did. If you want to be a Hollywood actor and you can't get a movie part, try out for your local theatre's upcoming play. I don't know what your grand ideas are, but I think you get the point. There are always other things you can do that are similar to your dreams even if they aren't as grand.

For example, I wanted to be a world famous musician also. Well, I doubt that's going to happen. So now, I am beginning a ministry around local churches, and I play my hammered dulcimer for them. I have also begun bringing inspirational stories of hope to the churches. I am also including my two close calls in life in those stories. I nearly died in 2004 due to a blood clot. And when I was born, I got tangled up in my cord for like 45 minutes. It was wrapped around my neck and I was delivered by C-section---a bit on the blue side. I survived, but I attribute my autism to my birth.

May I suggest that you keep a journal of your daily happenings and feelings. My wife suggested I keep a journal after my last therapy session. Therapy can help. I am 44 years old and seeing a therapist about social issues due to my Asperger's/autism.

Another thing---try to focus on the good things in your life. I have begun to try that. It has taken a little effort on my part to do that, but it is quite easy once you get in practice with focusing on the good. Take that good, and let it drive your life.

I don't know if I have made you feel better or not. I am deeply concerned for you as should be evidenced by the length of this reply to you. I do care.

Whenever I feel bad, I play in my mind the motivational stories of Professor Carl Hurley, "the world's funniest professor." He is great at making you feel good. He tells funny, but true, stories of his growing up in eastern Kentucky. Most people can't help but laugh along with him. And as he says, laughter is good for us and makes us feel better. "No matter how bad things get in your life," he says, "you might as well laught at it." I try to take that advice.

I hope you get feeling better. I hope your family gets better too. Please...please...keep in touch and let us know how things are going. Oh, I just saw your second post here. Yes, my stims and social anxiety get much worse under stress. I think that is common with all of us with stims and autism.

333Onfire
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Dec 2008, 3:15 pm

Thank you a lot glider18. That does help a lot. Just to give a update on some things:
- My brother has had this since he was 12, but it has gotten a lot worse. From 2 times a year to ten attacks since last September.
- My dad has been in a wheel chair since 2004, he is a paraplegic. He broke his hip because he has know balance.
-I quit my job because I was not getting any hours so I am just hoping I can get one some where else.
-I have my learners permit, and have failed my driving test 5 times. I didn't try again for a year and I was going to practice again and make another go of it just before my dad busted up his hip(he has hand controls) now I don't have anybody to drive with.
-Most of the time I am pretty positive but this has really bummed me out. Thanks for caring enough to post.