Why did God make people with AS?

Page 2 of 7 [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 11:59 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
God isn't real.

Then why do people bother talking about Him so much?

I have yet to ever see Santa Claus get anything beyond a quickly-passing mention around here ...

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 12:03 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
God isn't real.

Aspies are real
God made aspies
therefore, God is real.

Too bad this isn't the PPR forum.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 12:08 am

greenblue wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:
God isn't real.

Aspies are real
God made aspies
therefore, God is real.

Ah now, watch out for that logic stuff ...

God is love.
Love is blind.
Ray Charles was blind ...
??

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 12:17 am

leejosepho wrote:

God is love.
Love is blind.
??

That could explain why God created aspies. :wink:

Boomkin
Raven
Raven

18 Nov 2009, 12:22 am

leejosepho wrote:
greenblue wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:
God isn't real.

Aspies are real
God made aspies
therefore, God is real.

God is love.
Love is blind.
??

I must say it is this careful attention to logic, even when it works against a particular viewpoint, that makes me enjoy this forum so much. Thank you WrongPlanet and everyone on it!

18 Nov 2009, 12:43 am

And I steer this off topic.

Boomkin
Raven
Raven

18 Nov 2009, 12:47 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
And I steer this off topic.

We are the Kings and Queens of off topic.

Sparx139
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Nov 2009, 1:42 am

Back on topic, consider this:

By having AS, you don't fit into the popular group, do you? It's true for me as well, and while it creates new problems, consider some of the things it solves:

>You can be yourself, and don't have to conform with others
>When was the last time you had to lie/do something that made you uncomfortable to fit in? Have you seen Mean Girls? That thing is based off of the works of a psychologists. It's accurate (testimony of all NTs that I know).
>As I've never seen the popular side myself, there's more I'm missing things

As for suffering in general... So long as we're talking Christian/Jewish God, I'd like to pull out Ecclesiastes, the wonderful book in the old testament devoted to the meaning of life (the one other than 42):

"Sorrow is better than laughter, because a sad face is good for the heart." -- Ecclesiastes 7:3

When was the last time you learned something at a party or from a joke? As hard as it is to come to grips with this, it is hardship and suffering which make us grow. Many of us have fields that we are good in - maths, computers, etc. - things that NTs struggle with we find simple. If it weren't for the downsides of AS, how easy would it be for us to become arrogant? AS keeps us humble, and it teaches us lessons that we couldn't learn otherwise: The value of friendship - and who true friends are. Understanding for those in similar situations - I've never seen a nasty comment on here about people with disabilities.

We learn from our suffering. It makes us stronger, and it makes us better people.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 1:47 am

awsome uberness

werewolf1994
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Nov 2009, 2:52 am

Why does God make people with AS suffer so much? I think it's the same reason NTs suffer, if our lives were perfect, there would be no reason to go to heaven would there?

Sala
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Nov 2009, 2:54 am

I have AS. I don't know if I believe in God. I am completly unaware of any gift that makes having AS worth it. I have no special skills, or unusual talent in any given area. I've heard that people with AS are highly intelligent. I do not feel highly intelligent. Honestly I feel rather stupid, pretty much 24/7.

LivingOutsideTheBox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Nov 2009, 2:56 am

God doesn't exist.

Nature made aspies as a failsafe. If the world has problems normal people can't handle, some aspies with their altered skillset might. Then again, aspies can't handle stuff normal people cán. Biodiversity.

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 4:08 am

If you believe God exists, as I do, then trying to understand His reasons for doing things good or bad can be a rather difficult issue. When things are tough, I guess I do blame God a bit. But I also know that the other things in my life (the good) comes from Him too. I don't know why, I seem to be singled out for a miserable life. I don't know why me trying so hard brings about no change in fortune. I guess one day when I meet Him face to face, I can understand these things. Until then, I will be up and down, lose hope and gain it again. Be sad and shed tears, but later gain a smile. I'm here as I am and I can't change that. I guess only time will tell.

Sparx139
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Nov 2009, 4:15 am

If you believe that God exists, then it's useful to pick up a bible (or another religious text, depending on your religion) once in a while. With a bit of patience, you can usually get an answer to some topics such as this.
And I just realised that this is the sort of question that you really aught to talk to a priest/chaplain/rabbi/ etc. about it. I mean, this is a good discussion and all, but I don't think it's really useful in the long run (how many of us have done theology cources, etc? Not me).

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 4:51 am

God permits an unspeakable and unlimited amount of suffering, injustice and "evil" in order to bring about the "greater good".

The supposedly OMNIPOTENT and OMNIBENEVOLENT god is a utilitarian....a cosmic Jeremy Bentham if you will.

Interesting :roll:

Call me crazy....but I can't help but wonder why an omnipotent being would NEED suffering/injustice/evil in order to "bring about a greater good".

Unless this god is not so "omnibenevolent"...and considering the degree of suffering/injustice/evil in existence, i'd say this omnipotent fellow is well...rather sadistic (<greatest understatement of all time.)

Oh....and the OMNISCIENT god also permits miscarriages. After all...according to Rick Warren and other American renaissance men....god has a plan/purpose for everything right?

So in the case of miscarriages.....it's the good ole' greater good thing again eh? That is....maybe god allows miscarriages to occur in order to teach the women (and/or whoever else) who have them some sort of valuable "lesson".

There's just one slight problem with this though. Miscarriages that occur in the early stages of pregnancy (seven weeks or <) often go unnoticed, the women in question aren't even aware they were pregnant. So what was the old nobodaddy up to in these cases? Did the OMNISCIENT god CHANGE HIS MIND? 8O Well it wouldn't be the first time actually.

The LORD said, "I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, from man to animals to creeping things and to birds of the sky; for I am SORRY that I have made them."

Genesis 6:7

The omniscient god is capable of sorrow and regret?!?!?!?!? Sounds to me like the "divinely-inspired" authors of the bible unwittingly revealed they created god in their own image eh?

I really try to keep an open mind towards all possibilites. Like Socrates....i'm always aware of the fact that I know nothing FOR CERTAIN.

But really....my "open door" policy towards the existence of the Judeo-Christian personal god is hanging by the most tenuous thread imaginable.

So tenuous that I see no reason not to define myself as an atheist. An atheist is a person who doesn't believe in the existence of a personal god....not a person who claims to KNOW such a being doesn't exist.

In all my 40 years.... I have yet to hear any satisfactory explanations for the aforementioned (among countless others I need not mention) behaviors of the dubious deity. Behaviors which seem wildly and absurdly incongruous with the purported "omni" characteristics of this being. Maybe god is an Aspie?....lol. When confronted with behaviors that are seemingly incompatible with the supposed nature of this deity, many theists will finally resort to that age-old escape hatch...."god works in mysterious ways". To be fair.....many offer arguments for god's existence which seem logical.....to them. Atheism isn't a choice...I never woke up one day and just decided to be an atheist. It would actually be nice to believe in SOMETHING aside from a blind, mechanical, unconscious universe which is neither aware of, or concerned with, the hideous sufferings of the life forms that exist within it. A universe in which Adolph Hitler and my beloved granny both wind up in the same eternal oblivious nothingness.

All things considered, it's just all-but impossible for me to wrap my mind around any other possibility irrespective of whether this possibility involves the personal god of the exoteric J-C faiths or some more esoteric form of spirituality like Hermeticism, Wicca, Thelema, etc.... I see no objective rhyme, reason, or purpose to existence whatsoever.

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 6:00 am

I don't consider my AS a gift, far from it. It has kept me from being truly happy. I am not trying to sound like it is an excuse or cop out. I have been working on myself, my social skills, trying to read people better all my life. I still have not gotten better at it. People still think I'm strange, different and don't want to hang out or get to know me or date me. They think I am a freak. After working on myself and failing for most of my life, the only reason I can think of me failing at being social all the time is God does not want me to be happy. So why should I try anymore if I have failed for over 20 years and I keep feeling like the outcast?