Do you have trouble crying?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 7:53 pm

I get the emotions that lead to crying, but more often than not they subside right away and no tears come. I've only shed tears twice in the last year and the second time was just a few droplets and then they went away. I can feel like I'm so sad inside, as though I'm sobbing on the inside but nothing comes out. I'm not depressed either - I'm actually generally pretty upbeat. Have any of you ever had this problem? I didn't know this was possible.

druidsbird
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 8:08 pm

happymusic wrote:
I get the emotions that lead to crying, but more often than not they subside right away and no tears come. I've only shed tears twice in the last year and the second time was just a few droplets and then they went away. I can feel like I'm so sad inside, as though I'm sobbing on the inside but nothing comes out. I'm not depressed either - I'm actually generally pretty upbeat. Have any of you ever had this problem? I didn't know this was possible.

I once counted the number of years between crying episodes. I almost got to four years. Not because I didn't feel like crying... I just couldn't. I don't know why really. I rarely cry even if I feel like it. And I feel like it all the time. Back then I just felt too dead inside and so used up. To a large degree I still do, but since my burnout it's been... different. Now I just feel a little lobotomized. I usually only cry now during really very bad bad meltdowns.

CosmicCowboy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 May 2010, 8:51 pm

many many years of no tears,
I killed that part of me young.

... in the last few years I have acttually wet my face a many time,

I still have storms that are just thunder no rain, even though the pain is excruciating, I know i will go with a heart attack or a stroke. at least now with 1/2 a century experience I try not to break anything, and I haven't put my fists through walls or doors in a while, I haven't had a fight with a human in over 30 years...

for like 20+ years no tears maybe, not for the lack of thunder,
I was really relived when they came. geeze how we fight for normalcy

And what is normal.
Normal is the in-between, the Grey, the "mean between" no one is normal that is a statistic.
I don't want lukewarm, I want hot or cold,

whoas AS derail...

caissa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 May 2010, 8:55 pm

I don't cry easily. Especially for a woman, I think.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 9:12 pm

The inability to cry is a side effect of some anti depressant medications, including Zoloft and Prozac. I have been on both and am now on Prozac and I cannot cry.

Epilefftic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 May 2010, 9:25 pm

I am unable to cry, even when I extremely upset. I merely feel an uncomfortable numbness all over for the longest time, as I am forced to think about it over and over due to the lack of closure, until I eventually break down from it all and start bawling. It took me 3 days before I could cry over my dog of 15 years passing.

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 9:58 pm

I cried A LOT when I was young but now It seems I cant cry....it annoys me too because sometimes I think it would be a release and would make me feel better. I do have this strange phenomenon that I cry when I see other people cry, its not an emotion its just like imitating. I do the same thing with laughter...someone laughs, I laugh even if Im not amused.
I managed not long ago to get a few tears out but nothing to write home about!

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 10:11 pm

Sometimes I get a bit teary eyed, like when I listen to very emotional music or feel especially lonely, but I can never shed a tear.

chaotik_lord
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 12:08 am

I don't really cry and never have, even when I thought it was expected (I have three dead exes and never managed to cry, despite trying after people insisted it makes things better). Very recently, I've started noticing that a particularly sweeping piece of music causes me to tear up, but it stops instantly. And if I try to use that to cry over a real-life, personal tragedy, the teary effects never come.

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 12:29 am

I cry usually when I'm frustrated and feel helpless. Since I have three kids, I cry regularly, if not often.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 2:17 am

I've gone through years without crying. I wondered if I had some emotional constipation or something. If I do cry, it's not hard like in childhood, and it's kinda forced.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 8:49 am

I usually cry over the little small things and never cry over the big things that normal people would cry over.

Typical backwards me. :P

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 12:25 pm

Are we making a distinction between crying for reasons of feeling, as in sadness or happiness, or crying as a response to the need to release tension? Because when I mentioned frustration and helplessness, well, the first one has been the main reason I've cried over the years, and it's been horribly embarrassing because people think you're crying for some emotional reason. I suppose frustration is an emotion of sorts, but it isn't the same as the sadness that most people seem to associate with tears. Thus, people seeing me cry have tended to respond completely inappropriately and make it worse.

A lot of people don't seem to understand that some of us just need a few minutes. My daughter ran into that problem last night, but fortunately did not cry when she tried to get a few minutes to cool off and her Girl Scout troop leader insisted she join the group (probably because she was able to text me and get me to pick her up).

But I digress. I guess the OP is referring to crying of any sort. It would be very frustrating to need to cry and not be able to... but then, in my case, that just might be what would start me crying anyway...

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

Gehringer
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 May 2010, 1:17 pm

Aimless wrote:
The inability to cry is a side effect of some anti depressant medications, including Zoloft and Prozac. I have been on both and am now on Prozac and I cannot cry.

Ah, thats why i cant cry when i'm on my antidepressants. ive been wondering about that for a while.