Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 2:22 pm

Pretty cool.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 2:38 pm

Great, from what I know turning a turtle upside down can lead to its death. So one of these turtles was saving the life of the other one. This is a wounderful thing to see, as it shows that a passing turtle is willing to help another one.

I ask the question of why did the camera man not right the turtle. If I found a turtle stuck upside down I would be inclined to put it back on its feet rather than waiting for another turtle to do the turning over.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 3:07 pm

Woodpecker wrote:
Great, from what I know turning a turtle upside down can lead to its death. So one of these turtles was saving the life of the other one. This is a wounderful thing to see, as it shows that a passing turtle is willing to help another one.

I ask the question of why did the camera man not right the turtle. If I found a turtle stuck upside down I would be inclined to put it back on its feet rather than waiting for another turtle to do the turning over.
hahaha! i thought the SAME THING. put the dang camera down and flip him over already!

but truly a beautiful video.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 3:22 pm

Woodpecker wrote:

I think that both turtles are owned by the same person, and that this behavior had been observed previously. The cameraman simply wanted to capture it for Youtube. It does show that altruism is not exclusively a human trait, as Darwin thought.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 3:58 pm

pezar wrote:
Woodpecker wrote:

I think that both turtles are owned by the same person, and that this behavior had been observed previously. The cameraman simply wanted to capture it for Youtube. It does show that altruism is not exclusively a human trait, as Darwin thought.
ahhh i see. well, it was a sweet demonstration that hope is not lost.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 4:10 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
pezar wrote:
Woodpecker wrote:

ahhh i see. well, it was a sweet demonstration that hope is not lost.

Turtles are remarkable and I'm impressed by their altruism and intelligence. I understand too that if a turtle becomes flipped upside down, death is imminent. I guess that's what friends are for......... :sunny:

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 10:21 pm

Aww, that is a so touching

Thank you for posting that, LabPet!

Turtles are bright. I once knew a slider who learnt to eat from a spoon. The same red ear climbed up on a low shelf and let her owner hold up a boot for her to crawl onto and so she took the "lift" down to the floor. She was taught 3 hand commands and reacted to them.
When her companion died she was desperate to get to the empty aquarium and then to the empty spot, she was very obviously looking for her friend. She wouldn't eat for weeks (and this was in spring, so it wasn't hibernation time). It was heart breaking

She was also a master at getting past objects in her way (much like the turtle in the video below) and if the door wasn't closed completely she could always open it with her leg, even if it opened towards her into the room she was in.

Door opening turtle:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mfJn7Dw55s[/youtube]

Turtle who has learnt hand commands:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTYl_Vkgv5c[/youtube]

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 1:31 pm

Last night I dreamt of turtles - they are just cool. Love Florida the trained turtle (above vid) 8)

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 1:46 pm

The turtle in that last vid looks hungry. :(

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 8:35 pm

Awe, that's sweet. :O)

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 1:20 pm

I came in to this forum feeling sad but now I am crying for a different reason! Thanks for putting this here it's so sweet!

(we should have a collection of inspiring and cute animals in this forum!)

primaloath
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Oct 2010, 9:43 am

That's absolutely lovely - if it really is a sign of friendship. I couldn't help thinking, however, that one turtle was really just pushing the other away from its territory.

mezzanotte
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2014, 7:57 am

:lmao: @ 1:15 in first video when turtle starts flailing his legs

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2014, 10:47 am

Ooh, I'm so glad to see this thread revived! It's one of my favorite threads here! :D

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765