Is there anyway I can force myself to cry?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

kruger4
Toucan
Toucan

05 Dec 2010, 7:17 pm

At times I just feel very sad and I just don't know how to express it, everything I feel I just keep to myself. I haven't cried for at least 6 years and even when I feel like crying I just can't. I think it would help me if I could cry once in a while to get rid of all these bad emotions. Is there some kind of way that I could force myself to cry?

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 7:19 pm

Kill a kitten.

No, in all seriousness - watch sad films? listen to sad music? although, i don't know if it's a good idea to force yourself to cry.

KnowRainSupreme
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Dec 2010, 8:00 pm

Lying in bed with the lights out in a perfectly quiet room. This is when the mind starts really mulling over itself. I find this is the best place to confront my thoughts.

Chopping onions will force you to cry but It probably won't hold the same emotional value.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 10:15 pm

I havent cried since 2001. Dont miss it at all. I have faked it for people but havent gotten the natural thing.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 10:16 pm

Put yourself in a position where you are completely powerless, thats what works for me.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 10:17 pm

chrissyrun wrote:
Put yourself in a position where you are completely powerless, thats what works for me.

Last time i checked i am always powerless.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 11:30 pm

You guys are lucky.

missykrissy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Dec 2010, 12:06 am

i hardly ever cry even when people think i should be terribly upset about something. i get upset and it just makes me quiet. i deal with it other ways. find a song that matches the emotion, crank it up and sing out LoUD(when no one is around) or sometimes i write about it or just go over it in my head again and again and again until it just feels like old news and doesn't bug me anymore. some people are criers. some are not.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 9:12 am

Hmm, maybe there's something holding back the tears. Give yourself full permission to cry. Let yourself. Don't force it. Why did you stop crying? Maybe thinking about that could help. Perhaps hypnosis could work.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 9:45 am

kruger4 wrote:
At times I just feel very sad and I just don't know how to express it, everything I feel I just keep to myself.

There are many different reasons some of us feel that way (very sad) and have that problem (no expression) and do that (keep it in), but the first thing we each need to do is still the same: Begin by saying "I hurt." Say that to yourself, to "God" or to anyone at all, but do say it ... and if you cannot do that, begin trying to figure out what is standing in the way. Personally, my biggest obstacle was a great fear of what would/could/might happen if I *did* cry ... and that fear is actually still a problem at times. For me, the idea of crying seems about the same as falling into a deep, dark hole of some kind where I might disappear ... but I am slowly learning that is just not true.

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 1:51 pm

It can help. Sad movies and music are good suggestions to try though they don't work much if you aren't prone to crying. Something more effective can be writing. That's a good outlet for many.