Anxiety is driving me through the roof right now.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

DerKodeMeister
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Jan 2011, 6:10 pm

I usually never make friends fast, like I'm very comfortable with taking my time getting to know someone and it just kind of melts in to a friendship over a pretty long period of time. However, there's this new girl at my school who has talked to me quite a bit since she's arrived because we both share a similar passion for music, both are multi instrumentalists, and like the same types of music. For some reason, I feel like I've kind of clicked with her (note I said I've clicked with her) in the way I'd usually click with a really cool person once I've known them for quite awhile. They're kind of verging on more than a friend feelings, (I'm physically attracted to her, I love the sound of her name and voice, and so far I love her personality) but I can't say they actually are because my mind just can't comprehend why I'd develop such strong feelings for someone I barely know at all. It's freaking me out, because I feel like since I feel like I'm moving so fast, she probably can pick up that I'm moving in this unnaturally fast manner and it's probably making her extremely uncomfortable.

Because I feel this way and a part of my brain is so sure that she absolutely did not get that same immediate 'click', it's getting increasingly hard for me to talk to her because I feel like I'm burdening her and creeping her out. At the same time, I have this ret*d desire to spend time with her and get to know her better, and I feel like she's kind of picked up on that and is getting creeped out too (although at least one of my friends has said it's all in my head). In fact, my friends seem to have pretty good confidence in me with her for some reason, but I just feel like it's already over and I've already f****d it up, even though I have no idea what she actually thinks of me (probably nothing at all! Tell that to the emotional part of my brain :lol:).

For example, today I tried striking up a conversation on Facebook, just simply saying hello how's it going. I haven't talked to her since the end of the school week. She was online (not away), but I got no response for 15 minutes (although because I was anxious it was probably shorter than that.) This just kind of made a huge flood of anxiety rush through me, and my mind bolted to conclusions that indeed she was creeped out by me and all kinds of crap like that.

On my facebook page, I always post music videos of songs I'm really in to at the time instead of statuses, but lately I've been starting to feel like she's going to see a song I post and think it's about her (maybe it is subconsciously?) and get creeped out.

Etc etc, you probably get the idea by now. But normally none of these things would ever cross my mind at all, and I feel creeperish even think through all of it this way. Maybe I just won't let myself win no matter what? I don't know.

Basically I am anxious as all hell right now, and I have no one in real life to talk to about it really. I feel like I'm doing everything really wrong with this, and I have no idea why, or what to do about it. Does anyone have some advice?

If all mankind were to disappear, the world would regenerate back to the rich state of equilibrium that existed ten thousand years ago. If insects were to vanish, the environment would collapse into chaos.
-E.O. Wilson

Last edited by DerKodeMeister on 16 Jan 2011, 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2011, 6:41 pm

Don't worry so much. Overthinking things won't help.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2011, 6:58 pm

Go with the flow and enjoy yourself.

DerKodeMeister
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Jan 2011, 7:14 pm

Thanks guys for the support. I know I just need to chill the hell out but, I don't feel like there's a flow to get in to. Even with people I know, I can just like talk to them you know? With her it's turned in to where I feel like I have to calculate what I say, even though I most likely don't. Like with the Facebook thing; maybe she just didn't have time to respond or something. She went offline for awhile but now she's back on, and I'd like to talk like I do with any other person. But if I say hello again, she'd probably think I'm desperate for attention or something. And see as I'm typing this, the overthinking process starts all over again. I just can't stop doing it lol.

If all mankind were to disappear, the world would regenerate back to the rich state of equilibrium that existed ten thousand years ago. If insects were to vanish, the environment would collapse into chaos.
-E.O. Wilson

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2011, 7:38 pm

Oh, you can do it, we have confidence in you. :D

DerKodeMeister
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Jan 2011, 7:42 pm

Jonsi wrote:
Oh, you can do it, we have confidence in you. :D

Thanks man! I just need some confidence in myself :)

-E.O. Wilson

SaNcheNuSS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 5:11 am

We are here for you brother. Just relax. Life is fun if you relax. Don't take it so seriously. Be smooth buddy. Have fun with trying to meet new people. Just think of it as a game. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. We all do. We all get rejected. The strong people get back up after rejection because they realize that it is a fun game to play. It really is man. Then you will find out that you actually win some. You don't always get rejected. You have to weed through the bad to find the good. You understand? The people who reject you, weren't meant for you, you don't need these people but through this process you will discover that you will find people who accept you. It is amazing really. Try it out. and remember. Relax.

Helixstein
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 5:19 am

I find slowly counting down from 10 and practicing diaphragmatic quite beneficial when anxious.