Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

QueenoftheOwls
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Jan 2011, 6:49 pm

Does anyone out there find solace in animal companions as a way of coping with an unforgiving world? I've always found that I feel much more comfortable around animals than among other people. I've always loved horsebackriding and last year I in fact bought a horse--after many years of wanting to do so, and its made a big difference in my attitude toward life. Given me a reason to spend a little more time on this planet, one might say. I realize that not everyone can own a horse or even learn to ride, but I know many aspies have close relationships with dogs and cats (I have two of the latter as well), and this helps to compensate for a lack of close social relationships. certainly many people here have chosen animals as their avatars. So is there anyone out there with any stories about how animals can be of help to people on the spectrum?

Atreides
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jan 2011, 7:22 pm

sure, I think it's the fact that we can relate to a sense of familiarity and routine with our pets. The most annoying thing with my cats is when they want attention/affection when I don't want to supply. Otherwise, they are the best roommates I've had, after living with a girlfriend for a while, then with a buddy of mine.

I'm not sure you should refer to this as 'social compensation'. I don't think aspies like their pets more than they like people, it's just that animals don't work the way normal humans do, and that's exactly what we have in common.

Megz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 7:40 pm

I completely agree. My animals are some of my best friends. I like that they never really expect you to talk to them. I can get through an entire day with my dogs without saying a word, just using hand signals and other cues. Sometimes they demand physical contact, but contact with animals is more tolerable than contact with people most of the time. They don't get their feelings hurt when you say you don't want to interact at that very second. My animals do a good job of calming me down when I'm stressed. And I like having their care routine to rely on. Right now I have 3 dogs, a barn cat, and 16 goats (although only one of the dogs lives at my apartment full time, the other critters live with my parents). Eventually (like 10-15 years from now, hopefully) when I have my own ranch-type place I want a pair of llamas and a flock of guinea fowl too.

DrS
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jan 2011, 8:04 pm

Human animals are pretty baffling, but I think I get non-human animals really well. <unfounded speculation>I think it might be easier for aspies to understand animals because we are more used to trying to understand social interaction and communication from the outside, so to speak.</unfounded speculation>

danandlouie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 9:23 pm

never had a human relationship so i do not know what it's like to love/be loved........ human wise. i feel my companion animals love me in their own way and there's nothing i wouldn't do for them.

queen of the owls.....if you take in another horse i hope you will consider a retired race horse or a mustang taken off western federal lands. (not that you haven't already). there are tens of thousands that end up in slaughter plants in canada/mexico each year. steaks for europe/asia.

it's always good to read about so many wrong planetarians who love their companion animals.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 9:53 pm

It might be an "uncanny valley" thing. For some, other humans may be just too close to a resonance. Animals are less demanding, less complicated and more tolerant of people who are just a little different than other people are. I know animals can tell when you are angry, but they will misread some things. For example, dogs will misread laughter as a sign of distress.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

AspieWolf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 9:55 pm

I much prefer the company of animals to that of people. Why? For one thing the average IQ of the population of animals is vastly higher than that of humans. Well the NT's anyway. No, It's not that I rank animals so high, I just place humans so low! Secondly, no animal has ever done to me, or thought of doing to me, what humans have. I am no fan of the human species. Indeed, I consider humanity to be failed experiment that should be terminated with extreme prejudice.

Some of us just have a little more madness than others!

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 10:56 pm

Animals also feel more comforable with Aspies, maybe we dont have that aggressive competitiveness that NTs do and animals sense this?
The number of times Ive been approached in a friendly manner by dogs whose owners tell me, "thats strange, he doesnt usually like men".

SaNcheNuSS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 3:29 am

I think that every autistic person should get a pet. It is the best choice that you will ever make. In fact, if you are autistic and you read this, go get a pet immediately. A dog or a cat is ideal. It will be yours. You will be responsible for it. Theres no pressure though. It will love you and you will love it. I did and It really helped me. I have two cats. They make me feel better all of the time.

opal
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 8:28 pm

AspieWolf wrote:
I much prefer the company of animals to that of people. Why? For one thing the average IQ of the population of animals is vastly higher than that of humans. .. Secondly, no animal has ever done to me, or thought of doing to me, what humans have.

I agree. My dog was the most loyal, optimistic, happy, and gutsy individual I have ever met. She was always there to cuddle and cheer you up when you were down.. in fact she would go up to complete strangers who looked sad, in an effort to cheer them up. (and share a pat.) She would never harm you and was always appreciative friendly and compassionate. If only I could say the same for most humans.

I miss her :cry:

Helixstein
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 9:49 pm

I like the company of cats, as unlike dogs they are very indolent. I still do like dogs, however.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 10:22 pm

I prefer my dog because he's always thrilled to see me. He's a rescue who had a tough start in life...so we have something in common. He never passes judgment, or criticizes me, plus he's soft & cuddly too. It's esp good after spending a long day among humans who find me to be "annoying," "irritating," or whatever other term for not being who they think I ought to be. It's great to feel loved, & I enjoy giving love back to him. I've taught him a few tricks since I've had him, & he loves showing off. :-) We have fun together.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

coatesdj
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Mar 2011, 11:03 pm

I am glad I found this thread, because I was wondering if there's anyone else here who feels a natural affinity towards certain animal species. I guess I know now.

The one thing I cannot stand is dogs. They frighten me to all hell. Always with the barking and trying to jump on you...but especially the hostile barking when you walk past wherever they are. And they always do this to me.

Horses, cats, and birds. Those are the animals I can deal with. Their personalities are very similar to mine, and I always seem to get along with them.

Does this make any sense?

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2011, 11:10 pm

Nambo wrote:
Animals also feel more comforable with Aspies, maybe we dont have that aggressive competitiveness that NTs do and animals sense this?

No...I'm the most competitive SoB known to man and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only competitive aspie around...first one that comes to mind is kx250rider or whatever his username is.

MooCow
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 1:33 am

I love animals, if it wasn't for them I probably would have gone crazy (well, crazier) without them. right now I have two cats, in the past I've have dogs, snakes, goats, horses, hedgehogs, pigs, squirrels, hamsters and pretty much any other pet you can think of.

I think I relate with animals so much more than people because when compared to humans they are pretty simple. they don't lie, or cheat, or steal (well, squirrels do, but not maliciously). I don't have to try and guess what they are thinking or feeling, they don't hide their emotions like humans do. They express themselves in simple, easily to understand ways.

I have trouble telling what a person is feeling, but with an animal it's easy.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 9:23 am

SaNcheNuSS wrote:
I think that every autistic person should get a pet. It is the best choice that you will ever make. In fact, if you are autistic and you read this, go get a pet immediately. A dog or a cat is ideal. It will be yours. You will be responsible for it. Theres no pressure though. It will love you and you will love it. I did and It really helped me. I have two cats. They make me feel better all of the time.

I have to agree with you as well. I have a 6 year old West Highland White Terrier. When I'm down, he comforts me, sits with me and gives me kisses. I walk him every morning before heading off to work. I feed him in the mornings as well. I also pay for the the groomers and all vet bills. I buy all of my dog's personal items like medications, shampoos, dental care, etc. He is my first dog.

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)