People with AS who give Asperger's Syndrome a bad name...

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Yavikins
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Nov 2006, 8:47 pm

I personally think it's a bad idea to use a 'disorder' to explain away people's blatantly rude actions. That's the only time that I would consider a diagnosis 'making us look bad'. It's a rather difficult judgement to make, as well. And I'm ALSO tired of people being accused of making any condition, appearance, lifestyle, sexual preference or personality 'look' bad - I notice this problem with racial minorities and LGBT people as well, eg 'You give gay men a bad name' or 'you make black people look terrible' or 'you make Democrats look bad'.

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2006, 6:50 am

Like they're so scared of being in their minority group that they have to invent a "mini social ladder" to reassure themselves that they're halfway normal.

Like a drop of blood in a tank of flesh-eating piranhas, a new idea never fails to arouse the wrath of herd prejudice.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2006, 6:56 am

And than there's the opposite side of the coin, where a modest Aspie starts a thread, talking about how great they are. I was guilty of that, I was wrong to do that, and I've move on from that, months ago. 8)

k96822
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2006, 5:27 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
And than there's the opposite side of the coin, where a modest Aspie starts a thread, talking about how great they are. I was guilty of that, I was wrong to do that, and I've move on from that, months ago. 8)

Well, I still think you're great :-)

weeks
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Dec 2006, 3:31 pm

i think with austim and asperger they put them together instead of looking at the whole person.
i know that my son is 7 and i dont hid it from the world i just let him tell people if he wants to and i do the explaining
and then you have the show like rain man and raido and they see just one side of austim not the whole thing

k96822
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2006, 7:44 pm

weeks wrote:
i think with austim and asperger they put them together instead of looking at the whole person.
i know that my son is 7 and i dont hid it from the world i just let him tell people if he wants to and i do the explaining
and then you have the show like rain man and raido and they see just one side of austim not the whole thing

I agree. People don't associate autistic with it's real meaning, being a disconnection of some sort. AS is a social disconnection. NT's cannot imagine that disconnection any more than they can imagine never having had eyesight, so it just serves no good purpose to engage them about it.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2006, 12:33 pm

Yavikins wrote:
I personally think it's a bad idea to use a 'disorder' to explain away people's blatantly rude actions. That's the only time that I would consider a diagnosis 'making us look bad'. It's a rather difficult judgement to make, as well. And I'm ALSO tired of people being accused of making any condition, appearance, lifestyle, sexual preference or personality 'look' bad - I notice this problem with racial minorities and LGBT people as well, eg 'You give gay men a bad name' or 'you make black people look terrible' or 'you make Democrats look bad'.

I Agree.

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2006, 2:34 pm

Most of the AS kids in my social skills therapy group acted like they were completely nuts.But then again,they were alot younger than me and had other problems other than AS.

-SpaceCase

hpunch
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Dec 2006, 4:00 pm

I don't think Aspies diagnosing criminal masterminds as Aspies helps either. Like there was discussion several months ago that John Mark Karr might have had Asperger's. Indeed, he may have, but we shouldn't be in any hurry to diagnose infamous individuals such as him. Assertions like "Hitler sure sounds like an Aspie to me because of his fascination with Aryan history" or "Eric and Dylan Clebold were outcasts, therefore they must have been Aspies, because Aspies are outcasts" are not helpful for publicity.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2006, 9:44 am

SpaceCase wrote:
Most of the AS kids in my social skills therapy group acted like they were completely nuts.But then again,they were alot younger than me and had other problems other than AS.

-SpaceCase

Yeah, the kind of (diagnosed) AS kids who end up in and/or choose to be in social skills therapy groups are a lot of times the ones who have bigger, more disturbing issues than AS. At least in my experience

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2006, 12:15 pm

I don't like people who give any condition that they have, a bad name.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2006, 2:56 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

That's a fair comment. You'd think anyone who had a certain problem in their life would try and help others with the same syndrome as much as they could. Sadly not.

Revenant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2006, 5:46 pm

Quote:
I've been criticized before by anther person with AS for "making him look bad". But sometimes, AS *really is* that bad.

I wish people would learn that people don't make their disability look bad; they make themselves look bad. If I were him, I would have stopped complaining and accepted that some people generalize about us, and that it means they're ignorant and sometimes stupid. Would you really want to be friends with stupid people?

Mike. You know what? YOU RULE!! !
That post made my day. Thank you!

Its lovely to see that I share this opinion with someone.

KusanagiShiro
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jul 2013, 9:25 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

Then apparently another Aspie said I give the whole syndrome a bad name...and I think I should just disappear for good...no one would care.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 8:40 am

Hello KusanagiShiro, I think you should create a new post about how you feel as this one is 6+ years old.

FlanMaster
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 7:43 pm

yes, an old post that is judgemental suddenly appearing in the top of the forum is discouraging to say the least. to suddenly see a thread where someone seems to think they are social elitist AS individuals causes me to question not only the o.p., but also the wisdom of associating with persons on a board that would allow it. When an individual has AS compounded with other issues and is labeled by him/herself or by NTs, they don’t "give AS a bad name", Those of us who reject them or try to distance ourselves from them by complaining about them instead of being a support are the ones who "give AS a bad name". I hope this thread is allowed to dissappear.