Feeling homesick...for Japan

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

cyberfox007
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jul 2011, 8:51 pm

It has been a year since I spent the best two best weeks of my life in Japan. Every single day since then, I have kept thinking of the wonderful experience I had there and how it has made me feel great. I am going though a sort of "homesickness" for Japan since I feel that is where I belong and where I should be at this moment. I am absolutely crazy/insane for all things Japanese and when I went on that trip least year, I thought it was a dream. A dream I did not want to wake up from. I no words could describe it. I just miss it so much. I ma going though a homesick period and a tinge of depression (Nothing too major, I can get over it).

In that year since then I have accomplished much. I got a degree in engineering and ready to start my career. Right now, my life is in flux. I have no idea where it is going. I have been feeling this way since I graduated which was a week or so ago and i feel adrift.

I wanna go back so badly.

bigdango
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jul 2011, 11:37 pm

I haven't been to Japan - but definately want to soon. I don't want to hijack the thread but since you had such a great time - I wouldn't mind hearing where you went and what you did over there...

cyberfox007
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jul 2011, 7:07 am

It would be my pleasure. Off the top of my head, i spent about a week in Tokyo. Some days i had free time, some days i went on some tours. I went to Mt. Fuji for a day trip. After my stint in Tokyo, i went to Kyoto for a few days. Did some tours of some of the major castles and shrines. The later half of my trip i went to Hiroshima, Okayama, Itsukashima and a few other places.

If you have any questions or need tips on your trip Japan, please let me know. i am just gushing with information but send me a PM to me about it to avoid a thread hijack.

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2011, 8:11 pm

Japan is a really awesome place. The happiest times of my life were there.
Too bad about the disaster.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2011, 9:27 pm

Are you fluent in Japanese? I'm sure there are many Japanese firms that would love to have a bilingual engineer on their team, especially companies looking to expand oversees. If you really want to do it, there are ways!

cyberfox007
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jul 2011, 8:28 am

draelynn wrote:
Are you fluent in Japanese? I'm sure there are many Japanese firms that would love to have a bilingual engineer on their team, especially companies looking to expand oversees. If you really want to do it, there are ways!

I can speak some phrases but not fluent. I just graduated from school and my life is in flux as of now. I have been rotting at home waiting for call backs on job interviews i have done. I would like to work in Japan...i just don't now where to start...I have thought of the JET program but teaching English may not be my cup of tea. And i think Japan needs guys like me to help rebuild instead of teaching english

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 9:14 am

cyberfox007 wrote:
draelynn wrote:

I can speak some phrases but not fluent. I just graduated from school and my life is in flux as of now. I have been rotting at home waiting for call backs on job interviews i have done. I would like to work in Japan...i just don't now where to start...I have thought of the JET program but teaching English may not be my cup of tea. And i think Japan needs guys like me to help rebuild instead of teaching english

Well you could appeal to our Japanese WP members for some pointers or recommendations. Perhaps a professor from school could recommend an engineering headhunter. Check your school to see if they offer placement assistance - if nothing else they would have references to offer. See if you can get your hands on trade magazines in your field - most public libraries have these and your school's library is sure to - there are often times leads in there. Start researching firms that you would be interested in joining - American and Japanese. An American company with business in Japan would be a great way to get your foot in the door so to speak. It is also a great selling point in an interview - that you are willing to travel and have some knowledge of the language and are looking to expand your skill in that area.

Unfortunately, getting a job is very much about networking these days. If you can find a forum for enginieers in your field, you could get to know some people and hopefully generate some leads that way.

Good luck!

bigdango
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Jul 2011, 10:45 am

Thanks Cyberfox. Will take you up on that when i eventually get to it.

cyberfox007
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jul 2011, 11:42 am

draelynn wrote:
cyberfox007 wrote:
draelynn wrote:

Well you could appeal to our Japanese WP members for some pointers or recommendations. Perhaps a professor from school could recommend an engineering headhunter. Check your school to see if they offer placement assistance - if nothing else they would have references to offer. See if you can get your hands on trade magazines in your field - most public libraries have these and your school's library is sure to - there are often times leads in there. Start researching firms that you would be interested in joining - American and Japanese. An American company with business in Japan would be a great way to get your foot in the door so to speak. It is also a great selling point in an interview - that you are willing to travel and have some knowledge of the language and are looking to expand your skill in that area.

Unfortunately, getting a job is very much about networking these days. If you can find a forum for enginieers in your field, you could get to know some people and hopefully generate some leads that way.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advise! il definitely take heed of it

markun
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Jul 2011, 4:33 pm

I was on JET and stayed in Japan for three years. It wasn't always easy and it took me a while to adjust but they were the best years of my life.

It's easily the best way to get to Japan and live there for a while and the programme is strongly structured with lots of support. As far as international experiences go I think JET is one of the best for Aspies. Japanese society and language are also very structured.

I think you should look into JET if you are passionate about Japan.

cyberfox007
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jul 2011, 7:33 am

markun wrote:
I was on JET and stayed in Japan for three years. It wasn't always easy and it took me a while to adjust but they were the best years of my life.

It's easily the best way to get to Japan and live there for a while and the programme is strongly structured with lots of support. As far as international experiences go I think JET is one of the best for Aspies. Japanese society and language are also very structured.

I think you should look into JET if you are passionate about Japan.

Seeing how my job search is in a rut, i am starting to seriously consider the JET program.

markun
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Jul 2011, 11:33 am

It's worth it in my opinion. You will have the opportunity to become fluent in Japanese if you really work hard at it and will be able to make contacts for the future.

You will also be able to see lots of Japan and really become part of life there.

You shouldn't let on if you want to stay in Japan forever in the application process as the point of JET is that you will go back to your home country to be an advocate for Japan, so be prepared to express an ambition to do something in your home country afterwards, even if that is connected with Japan.

You are a graduate with an interest in Japan which is important, having been there already will help as it backs up your interest. A passion for Japan is important to show you just don't want to go to any old overseas programme but specifically want to engage with Japan and Japanese people.

As I said, it is very structured and your work life is regulated so you can't be taken advantage of which can happen in private language schools which are another common way of working in Japan. There is lots of support. There is also a book 'How to be Yourself in a World That's Different: An Asperger Syndrome Study Guide for Adolescents' which I found useful when learning about myself and As. It might be useful as it was originally written in Japanese.

I actually found that being an Aspie was useful, I found Japan more comfortable than many NTs who got frustrated with Japanese people and culture. But I still have massive difficulty with change and transitions and that was something I had to deal with nonetheless.

If you want any other advice, send me a message I am happy to help if I can.

cyberfox007
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jul 2011, 9:51 pm

I have been doing some thinking and i think i let my emotions get the better of me. I was having a PSM-style mood swing and now feeling back to my normal sense. I still have that burning desire to go back someday but with the aftermath of the earthquake and the country in the early stages of recovery, i would rather have Japan heal rather to go on the trip for pleasure. I did that once and the pocket book is STILL recovering.

I was thinking of the JET program long and hard and i feel the only real reason i would apply is just for the sake of going back to the country and not for the sake of teaching English. I feel the country needs engineers like me to help rebuild it and such. i would still consider the JET program, i haven't completely eliminated it from my 'potential jobs' list.

Over the next few days, i am just gonna go on a nostalgia trip and just recall the best 14 days of my life!