Therapist has given up on me

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 5:38 pm

People in general give up on me...and they probably should, so I can't blame them. Anyways to the OP is there any way you could get a different therapist, that is more willing to help you?

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 6:05 pm

Quote:
It is true that I have no great plans to change my life

just curious; if you have no plans to change anything, why are you seeing a therapist?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 6:27 pm

Lene wrote:
Quote:

just curious; if you have no plans to change anything, why are you seeing a therapist?

I could be mistaking but I think it was meant, they can't change that they have AS and the therapist decided that made them 'untreatable' in all ways simply because they cannot stop having Aspergers.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 6:45 pm

Halligeninseln wrote:
I had four sessions with a therapist recently and was supposed to have a fifth, but the therapist said at the end of the fourth session that just as when someone has caries in their tooth it is clear that they have caries in their tooth so in the same way it is straightforwardly clear from the way I am that I have asperger's and so I should finally accept the fact and not keep wondering whether there is some doubt. She said there is no point in her seeing me for a final therapy session because I just am the way I am and she doesn't know what to do with me. I don't know why but it left me feeling hurt, as if I am a complete write-off in this person's view. It is true that I have no great plans to change my life and wouldn't be able to change much even if I wanted to but it was hurtful that the therapist didn't see the point of continuing with me at all and cancelled the last session, because I had hoped maybe to talk about some things from the past and get some insight from her. The analogy with caries in one's tooth to describe something as personal as having asperger's was demeaning too. So I feel sad about all this :cry: .

The therapist is clearly a moron. Practically any random person off the street could do the job better, from the sounds of things. The right thing for her to do would be to say she hasn't got sufficient training or expertise and she doesn't think she's qualified to deal with Aspergers, but help you, or at least offer suggestions, to find someone who is. Simple. Why do so many totally incompetent people have good jobs?

Ivasha
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 May 2012, 7:44 am

edgewaters wrote:
Why do so many totally incompetent people have good jobs?

Because they are regarded as 'having one eye' in the land of the blind, and are thus made king :( The rest just have even less clue about what is really going on, everything is relative, etc.

Halligeninseln
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 May 2012, 10:53 am

Lene wrote:
Quote:

I wanted to reassess the situation in the light of my AS diagnosis and come to terms with the past better. However I didn't want to jump straight into some kind of social training program or anything like that. Probably I really should live completely differently to the way I do but I didn't want someone to start pressurising me into trying to be someone different at my age. Maybe I made that too clear at the outset but I think it was better to be clear about that from the beginning. The last seven months have been stressful enough reevaluating my life from the standpoint of undiagnosed AS without wanting to suddenly start changing everything I've become over the years just because I now know more or less how things came to develop in that way.

Snar

11 Jun 2012, 7:07 am

Ivasha wrote:
edgewaters wrote:
Why do so many totally incompetent people have good jobs?

Because they are regarded as 'having one eye' in the land of the blind, and are thus made king :( The rest just have even less clue about what is really going on, everything is relative, etc.

Have a look at this link to the Peter Principle - It quite eloquently describes the common work scenario :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Peter_Principle

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 7:26 am

Usually when a therapist gives up on you it's because they've done all of the strategies that they can think of and you didn't work with them or didn't do your homework. A therapist can also give up on you if you're not willing to make any changes that they suggest. I'm surprised they just let you go though, usually they'll keep you around as long as you continue going to your scheduled sessions, they just wont do much else but listen to you and wait until you decide to make that change they want. Whether that change is a will to live, willing to make a change or accepting something.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 2:51 pm

Couple of things strike me

Quote:
I have asperger's and so I should finally accept the fact and not keep wondering whether there is some doubt.

Where you trying to convince her that her diagnosis was wrong?

Quote:

She might be having trouble with this. I too would question why a patient would come to me; and make it clear he has no plans to change.

I feel like she may not have experience with AS. Not all therapists are skilled in every mental health issue. She might be excellent in working with some conditions, and lacking in others.

I would seek out a therapist who specializes in AS; but I think that if your not willing to change anything, your gonna run into a lot of flack in finding a therapist.

Lexa
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jun 2012, 3:49 pm

What a CRAPPY therapist.

The job of any person involved with trying to help others' mental health should be PRIMARILY: DON'T ADD MORE PROBLEMS ON TOP OF THE EXISTING ONES.

The fact that you said this: "she said...she doesn't know what to do with me" and "...it left me feeling hurt, as if I am a complete write-off..." tells me that this person is (a.) in the wrong profession and (b.) is idiotically without empathy at even the most basic level.

Get to a better educated, better qualified, more empathetic, more human, more intelligent, more logical therapist ASAP!

Get away from that silly, silly, silly person.

I've said this before on another thread here very recently: find a Jungian psychodynamic therapist who just reeks of intelligence and calmness the moment you sit down with him/her.

You do not want: a psychologist focussed on medicating and/or labelling you.
You do no want: a 'counsellor' who is merely trained in techniques for life, but lacks ANY deep understanding of the human psyche.

It's not you, it's her.

Proper, true, life-changing, mind-altering psychotherapy should happen at a regular time and place every week for a period of AT LEAST months, more often years.

It takes years to build trust and to whittle down your mind to the core things that need to be aired out.

Part of the process is just talking, until random memories or thoughts bubble up from the depths of your mind. Repetition happens often. It isn't always dark and heavy. It can be silly and fun. It is all of you, laid out on a metaphorical table, gradually, until you and your therapist can see it all, and put the pieces together in the right order.

QwertyJon25
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jun 2012, 12:21 am

I know how you feel. Eventually, every one of my therapy sessions eventually became 45 minutes of me talking with no input.

greenheron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jun 2012, 1:56 am

Is there a way you can connect with others in your area who have AS and who see therapists? You might get the names of some good ones from them. Perhaps, the local autism societies could redirect you.
Your experience with this person must have been a sad experience. Someone like that person should not work with those who seek help.
At our age, we had better not let "therapists" like that get us down, otherwise we could end up needing a lot more than a therapist can give. At times like this, I think of the people with whom I have interacted who are just the opposite of the offending person. This gives perspective.
Why don't you become an expert on AS, through books, the library, the internet, WP, etc.? Maybe you would make a good therapist, yourself.