Do you ever feel physical pain from bad memories?

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 1:55 pm

cooldryplace wrote:
I don't feel pain but I've recently picked up the habit of yelling/swearing or making some sound when I think of a bad experience.

Sometimes I do that because of the pain or just general unplesentness of the memory. Like typically if I think of something related to my PTSD and it triggers me to feel anxious or whatever I might yell(though I more just talk to myself) or swear because I don't want to be bombarded with the feelings of that memory when I'm busy doing something else....or in general.

QwertyJon25
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jun 2012, 10:45 am

When I was younger, stressful and anxious situations would cause me to start feeling pain in my abdomen. It felt like a hole was burning through my stomach and trying to reach my back.
I definitely know what you're going through. Nowadays, whenever I get bad or negative thoughts or memories, they make me cringe and cause my stutter to come back on occasion. It feels like the bad thoughts or worming and digging their way into my skull from the outside, and then I get rapid flashes of sensations and sights from whatever is on my mind.
I usually try to close my eyes and wait for it to pass. That, or I try to manually shift gears in my head, if you know what I mean. =/

QwertyJon25
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jun 2012, 10:52 am

chiastic_slide wrote:
Yeah, bad/embarrasing memories are so vivid and they come back in cycles. Always the stupid stuff I've said and the incredulous or angry reactions I got back not expecting them at the time. Definitely feel it in the gut, sometimes I will go bright red with anger and shame.

I know exactly what you mean! Usually when I get into bad mode and memories start to come out, they usually consist of feelings of shame or guilt over things that I've done or said in the past that I'm not proud of, or feel were stupid. Little things, at that.
Cringing, and eye shutting, and stuttering left and right. =/

Greatsharkbite
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 4:42 pm

Yeah, in highschool I started getting nervous tics whenever I thought of a painful or embarrassing memory.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 10:52 pm

Greatsharkbite wrote:
Yeah, in highschool I started getting nervous tics whenever I thought of a painful or embarrassing memory.

I get that in public...so bloody embarrasing. Like today I was trying on shoes and I had a box of shoes in my hand.....and I guess I must have heard a random loud sound or something. Because I basically almost dropped it and had an exaggerated response of grabbing it before it fell. but the store employee there looked kind of freaked out over it...I mean I pretty much jumped randomly almost dropped the shoe box and grabbed it before it fell. But I really hate that crap I mean even if I am not aware of the trigger it happens. And then I'm all thinking 'great I'm jumping around and being all tense like some nutcase, though I am one I don't want to public to notice.'

Greatsharkbite
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 5:41 am

Quote:
And then I'm all thinking 'great I'm jumping around and being all tense like some nutcase, though I am one I don't want to public to notice.'

Yeah, this is why when I go to stores, I sometimes try to avoid dealing with the same cashiers because they recognize me from my last stumbling encounter. Being a nutcase for me is sometimes fun, so I don't mind being one. Like a lot of the world its not information I want to freely share tho, lol.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 6:31 am

I attempted suicide last month in a bathroom stall, and just thinking about it makes me nauseous.

Ascagne
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Aug 2012, 5:12 pm

Quote:
Just wondedring if anyone else has physical reactions to memories and thoughts like this? It feel a bit weird, especially since its something I've only noticed over the last month or so.

Yes. When I remember my worst errors and my fails, for example a silly and stupid social mistake I made years ago. It makes me feel bad and yes, I feel "stomach cramps" and I feel sick-like. It mostly happens 1/ when I already don't feel psychologically well 2/ conversely when everything is fine or nearly fine, and my idiotic brain remembers that I can be such an idiot sometimes or such a loser (even though actually it's not really right for the second part. It's just I missed one of these 1 by lifetime opportunities because I'm not good at most competitive exams [and that was the hardest in my country].).

khaos
Toucan
Toucan

03 Aug 2012, 10:01 pm

That happens a lot to me. I over think so much I swear my brain will explode with thoughts, memories of things said, done, etc. How I could do it over... if given the opportunity to do so. It is actually REALLY REALLY REALLY exhausting being like that all the time, then getting the stomach pains, nausea, MORE anxiety, and others. Although, it is a sort of relief to find out I am not the only one, it is disconcerting to know others have similar feelings.

AS, OCD, ADHD - Diagnosed
PTSD - Undiagnosed
<"May the Gods have mercy on you for I shall show none...">

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 6:43 pm

Yeah, I had a back and neck injury a while back and I tend to feel pain there when I'm upset. Of course, I sometimes feel it when I'm not upset, just because I now have a bad back, but I still really think there is a strong mind/body link there.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 10:46 pm

Greatsharkbite wrote:

It's the embarrassing ones that get me the most, I heel my head reel like a punch when I think of something remarkably stupid/awkward I'd done, even in the very distant past.

I have to work very hard on reminding myself it's the past and not only was it not that big of a deal, but there's also nothing I can do about it. "Move on, self..."

I used to whip my emotions into a frenzy until I felt sick from anger when reliving the memories from when people had hurt me in the past. This is something the experts call "stinking thinking" and it's so self-destructive! It's interesting to see it affect so many of us. It's a hard habit to break but you'll feel so much better for doing so. You brain experiences memories and events as the exact same thing, which is why you smell the smells, sense the emotions and feel the pain. You MUST break the cycle - for sake of your sanity!