Is it worse for Aspies to have high self-awareness?

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 9:51 am

I think I have a high level of self-awareness as well and yes, I agree, it can cause a lot of negative emotions and self-criticism that other (less self-aware) people would avoid. Sometimes I do wish I was just stupid - stupid people seem to be much happier, that's for sure. Two things make me feel a bit better, though:

1) I still believe that, on the whole, high self-awareness is a good thing. By being aware of your strengths you can play to them and by being aware of your weaknesses you can improve them. Of course, whether you do is another story - so maybe that's something to work on.

2) Your self-awareness can only go in one direction: up. You cannot unlearn something once learnt. Perhaps there is some optimal level of self-awareness - we don't know. And we can't go backwards. Our choices are: become more self aware or remain where we are. Out of those 2 I'd chose moving forward, because I'd rather try to improve myself and fail than not try.

Joe90 wrote:
Today I was waiting outside a shop for a friend in a busy town, and a woman with 2 children walked by and literally walked right at the other side of the path from me, as though they were trying to walk as far away from me as they could possibly get, and as usual I started taking their reaction personally and thinking, ''why are they avoiding me like that for? Do I look like a child-abuser or something?'' - until I saw an elderly lady pass in a wheelchair so it was onvious thay they were just walking on the edge to allow her plenty of room to get by in her wheelchair. So then I started telling myself that there is usually an explanation for everything and that 99 percent of people's reactions are not negatively caused by me at all.

That is a good point - a lot of the time you are not the reason for other people's actions. Self-awareness is great, but awareness of others around you can be pretty important, too!

Gnonymouse
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jul 2012, 11:58 am

Joe90 wrote:
Today I was waiting outside a shop for a friend in a busy town, and a woman with 2 children walked by and literally walked right at the other side of the path from me, as though they were trying to walk as far away from me as they could possibly get, and as usual I started taking their reaction personally and thinking, ''why are they avoiding me like that for? Do I look like a child-abuser or something?'' - until I saw an elderly lady pass in a wheelchair so it was onvious thay they were just walking on the edge to allow her plenty of room to get by in her wheelchair. So then I started telling myself that there is usually an explanation for everything and that 99 percent of people's reactions are not negatively caused by me at all.

Joe, DialAForAwesome: ignorance is bliss, but Aspies without self-awareness have more trouble fitting into society. When we are self-aware we can survive well enough to hold down a job, friends, maybe even relationships. At the same time self-awareness brings anxiety and exhaustion. Sometimes we are overly self-aware at which point it makes us seem rigid, shy, or paranoid.

Like FMX said, it's like Pandora's box - once you become self-aware you can never go back. At least not easily.

ptown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jul 2012, 12:44 pm

My Aspie's high level of self awareness/self reflectiveness/ability to empathize/forgive, etc.. is the only reason we were able to get back together after 8 months of no contact. It's a curse at times but it's so much more of a gift. When he is in the head space to do emotional work, he's the most amazing guy I know.

Roninninja
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Jul 2012, 1:56 pm

I try not to get hung up on the fact that I have AS. What I do in unfamiliar situations is pretend to be someone else, almost like i'm acting. I just hate patronizing and special treatment so I tend to hide my weaknesses.