Assaulted , assailant still on loose .

Page 4 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 8:49 am

I don't know what I would do if I became homeless.

It's very hard to be homeless here in the US.

I'm wondering: does he now have enough of a serious condition to REALLY get treated at a hospital?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 12:36 am

if he has a communicable disease then the public health department would take over. other than that he is on his own, they will just patch him up perfunctorily and wait for him to die, that is the usual practice with the homeless. so long as the big business class is kept comfortable.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 8:09 am

I'm wondering if one good suit of clothes, only worn on special occasions (like when he has to look good), would be useful.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 3:27 pm

the problem is that he would have no place to store such, no closet or such, and he could not keep it on her person as it would rapidly get wrinkled and soiled. one needs a steady place to live before anything else will work. some cities such as salt lake and seattle are beginning to get the hint, and are making more of an effort to up their game regarding the housing of the homeless.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 3:54 pm

He could show up in the hospital in something like a polo shirt and chino slacks, his face freshly shaved. I'm sure they would take care of him--especially if he has his Medicaid card.

Maybe he could put these clothes in a very large zip-lock type bag.

He could go to K-Mart, Target, or some similar place, and pay about $35-40 dollars for this sort of outfit (less if it's on sale).

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 4:01 pm

his problem is that his feet are barely able to hold him up now, they are bleeding and shedding skin. any additional thing to carry beyond what he already has got, is beyond what he can handle now. when one is homeless one has to carry around all of one's stuff as there is no storage. the hospitals in this country simply refuse to offer more than palliative care to people sans the almighty dollar or even the wrong [read: lower cost] insurance card.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 4:27 pm

I get what you mean.

I probably should have thought of that earlier, actually.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 4:29 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I get what you mean. I probably should have thought of that earlier, actually.

no worries :flower: it is hard for those of us with roofs over our heads to remember these things, they are harsh realities most would rather not think about rather like whistling past the graveyard. :skull:

AhsokaLives
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jul 2015, 5:09 pm

still no word? you think that he's headed to SF because he has judgments against him, and he could get some jail time? this sounds horrible, but wouldn't the jail at least have to help him medically?

anything we can do to help?

"I often wonder if I should have been born at another time. My senses are unusually, some might say unnaturally keen, and ours is an era of distraction. It's a punishing drumbeat of constant input. It follows us into our homes and into our beds. It seeps into our... Into our souls, for want of a better word. [...] In my less productive moments, I'm given to wonder.... If I had just been born when it was a little quieter out there, [...] Might I have been more focused? A more fully realized person?"
-Sherlock, in Elementary ("The Marchioness")

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 5:11 pm

the jail, as per common practice today, will not offer him much medical but at least will let him "flop" and give his feet some rest. the only help that would help him at this point, would be if somebody among us in that area would let him live with them. that is the short and sweet of it.

AhsokaLives
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jul 2015, 5:17 pm

I'm on the other side of the world :-/

What if we found a spot for him in a more homeless-friendly city's shelter? a few have been mentioned. Maybe we could pass the hat to get him a bus ticket to a better place? The area he is in is bad for the homeless and incredibly expensive (highest cost of living in the country, from what i read a couple years ago).

"I often wonder if I should have been born at another time. My senses are unusually, some might say unnaturally keen, and ours is an era of distraction. It's a punishing drumbeat of constant input. It follows us into our homes and into our beds. It seeps into our... Into our souls, for want of a better word. [...] In my less productive moments, I'm given to wonder.... If I had just been born when it was a little quieter out there, [...] Might I have been more focused? A more fully realized person?"

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 5:23 pm

AhsokaLives wrote:
I'm on the other side of the world :-/

What if we found a spot for him in a more homeless-friendly city's shelter? a few have been mentioned. Maybe we could pass the hat to get him a bus ticket to a better place? The area he is in is bad for the homeless and incredibly expensive (highest cost of living in the country, from what i read a couple years ago).

he moved to one of the more homeless-friendly [lower cost of living and less punitive to the homeless] places [Thurston county Washington then Seattle] a few months ago, lost patience with our cold weather and moved back to santa cruz. I don't know what else to do at this point.

AhsokaLives
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jul 2015, 5:25 pm

oh, okay. well, it has to be his decision to get help, and what form that help will take. thanks for keeping tabs on him and keeping us posted. and do let us know if the situation changes or if we can help!

MiLK
Raven
Raven

24 Jul 2015, 8:56 pm

Would a monastery be something for him? It could mean a place to rest, get clothed, washed and get medical care. Also, a steady rhythm to the day and the chance to learn about woodworking, pottery or gardening for example.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 9:32 pm

I don't know if he's a believer or not but I can ask him that when he resurfaces.

MiLK
Raven
Raven

24 Jul 2015, 9:55 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I don't know if he's a believer or not but I can ask him that when he resurfaces.

He said he was unsure of it on some other place on the forum. I don't think it would matter, though. He could stay there as a guest.