Problems with a professor

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

aloofdeer
Raven
Raven

29 Aug 2016, 3:41 pm

First off I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. It might belong in the school and college life forum but I just want to vent so I thought it belonged in The Haven.

I have a college professor who made it his mission to "mess" with me, in lack of a better term. He noticed I was really quiet and awkward so he decided to start antagonizing me.

He will be lecturing and out of nowhere he will suddenly call on me by yelling my name loudly, which in turn scares me to death and my brain stops. He knows the loud yelling scares the crap out of me and makes me unable to answer or even process his question, he finds it very funny that I am unable to speak and that I look like I am on the verge of tears. I am the only person in the class he does this to!

He also likes to scare me by slamming a textbook on my desk. The loud thump has the same effect as when he yells my name out. I don't know why he does it, he just thinks its hilarious. Everyone else in my class thinks its funny too and I feel as if I am the laughing stock of the entire class. Before every class I have with him I feel the need to take a bottle of Xanax because my anxiety is so high.

Today, I was in the college lounge trying to work on some homework and he suddenly jumped in front of me and asked if I had turned in an assignment, He was really close to me and it made me uncomfortable. He stared me down with an angry look. I told him no, because it was not due for a few more days and I would get it in and he started to laugh and said "Ok." as he walked away.

I could try asking him politely to stop but I think he would just laugh at me and tell me to get over it, he doesn't seem like a friendly guy. I hope I never have him for a class again because he drives me crazy! :cry:

B19
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 4:07 pm

This is a possible course of action:

1. Document the incidents carefully (time, place, what happened, who else was present).
2. Find out whether there is a code of conduct and see whether formal breaches have occurred
3. Seek support if there is a student counselling service
4. Talk to the Head of Department about it (though discuss this with a supporter first).

I suggest that you put it in a "context of learning" approach, that your learning is being impaired by behaviour that intimidates and disrespects you, that you are being treated in a way that other students are not, and the discrimination
is making it impossible for you to concentrate on the course material and causing you ongoing distress, that you are concerned that you will fail in this course due to these learning barriers. It would be best if you can tie that in to specific clauses in the code of conduct.

Be proactive. Ask for a meeting with the HOD, the professor, yourself and a student advocate. If you can't talk to the HOD, then write a letter. Remember though that a copy will be sent to your professor because he is entitled to know of the actual complaint so that he can respond to it, so frame it in a measured and reasonable way. There may be a student body which can provide a representative to help you with this advocacy.

You need to talk to a trusted person first, to clarify your own thoughts and offload stored feelings about this, so make that the first step. Hope there are better times ahead for you, and that this will be resolved soon.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 4:07 pm

I would say you should have a sit-down with the academic dean about this.

He shouldn't be slamming books in front of you---definitely not.

Document the times when he does this.

Sawke
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Aug 2016, 4:14 pm

Have you shown to him you need accomodations? if so he absolutely cannot treat you this way. But yes go to your head of dept. Or just tough it out, if you only have a short time left in the class. I'm so sorry this is happening to you!

aloofdeer
Raven
Raven

29 Aug 2016, 6:23 pm

I will start documenting times he does these things to me and bring them to the school dean, although hopefully the teacher I'm having problems with stops before I have to. I will wait a bit to see if the situation escalates. I talked to my mother about what's been happening and she said he was trying to be friendly toward me, but in his own way and that I was misinterpreting the situation.

Sawke wrote:
Have you shown to him you need accomodations? if so he absolutely cannot treat you this way. But yes go to your head of dept. Or just tough it out, if you only have a short time left in the class. I'm so sorry this is happening to you!

I don't have any accommodations and sadly I just started the class so I have him for another four months.

Thank you guys for your advice.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 7:00 pm

I'm inclined to agree with your mother, but whatever the professor's intent, it's still having an adverse effect on you.

Do you think you would be able to talk to the department head or your dean? It's all very well to say this is the right thing to do, but many of us have difficulty doing it.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 7:06 pm

I would transfer to another class.

aloofdeer
Raven
Raven

29 Aug 2016, 7:11 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
I'm inclined to agree with your mother, but whatever the professor's intent, it's still having an adverse effect on you.

Do you think you would be able to talk to the department head or your dean? It's all very well to say this is the right thing to do, but many of us have difficulty doing it.

I think I will have difficulty. If the situation just gets worse then I'll write down what I plan to say to the dean to make it easier on me.

androbot01 wrote:
I would transfer to another class.

I would have too but the last day to drop/transfer classes was last week. It sucks because I didn't have him originally but made some changes in my schedule because the class he taught sounded interesting. You should be able to meet the teacher before taking a class.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 7:16 pm

aloofdeer wrote:
I would have too but the last day to drop/transfer classes was last week. It sucks because I didn't have him originally but made some changes in my schedule because the class he taught sounded interesting. You should be able to meet the teacher before taking a class.

What about dropping the class altogether. You could pick up the credit in the spring or summer. What year are you in?

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 7:29 pm

aloofdeer wrote:
I think I will have difficulty. If the situation just gets worse then I'll write down what I plan to say to the dean to make it easier on me.

That's a good plan. It might also be easier if you talk to your academic counselor, if you like that person. Ideally, your counselor is someone you can go to, to talk about any problem you might be having.

aloofdeer
Raven
Raven

30 Aug 2016, 7:53 am

androbot01 wrote:
What about dropping the class altogether. You could pick up the credit in the spring or summer. What year are you in?

If I do drop the class I will not get refunded for it or the book I bought for the class. This is my first year but it's a community college so it only lasts for two.

BeaArthur wrote:
That's a good plan. It might also be easier if you talk to your academic counselor, if you like that person. Ideally, your counselor is someone you can go to, to talk about any problem you might be having.

Thank you BeaArthur. Thankfully, I know one of the counselors and she is decent.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 8:02 am

aloofdeer wrote:
If I do drop the class I will not get refunded for it or the book I bought for the class. This is my first year but it's a community college so it only lasts for two.

If you record a pattern of harassment you could present it as reason for your being unable to continue with the class and you may be eligible for a refund based on this.

aloofdeer
Raven
Raven

31 Aug 2016, 2:30 pm

I feel like I am going to explode. I had class with him today and he embarrassed me in front of the whole class! He was lecturing and he paused to say "Sometimes I like to make people uncomfortable...." Then he looked at me and asked "Isn't that right (my name) ? in a mocking voice. Everyone thought it was hilarious and burst out laughing. As class ended I turned to leave but saw a few kids pointing at me and laughing!! !! :evil: :evil: It's just like high school all over again! I'm still documenting everything that's happening. I am sorry I just really had to get that out.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2016, 3:02 pm

You need to nip this in the bud. Please talk to a counselor, dean, or department head without much delay, so this doesn't escalate.

I actually think your professor is a socially awkward person who probably is just joking around, but his behavior is causing you a lot of difficulty, so you should act soon. I'd hate to have your whole semester or even your college career ruined by one jerk.

Good luck.

Last edited by BeaArthur on 31 Aug 2016, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aloofdeer
Raven
Raven

31 Aug 2016, 3:48 pm

Thank you. I set up an appointment with a counselor for next week. So I will talk to her about what is happening.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2016, 4:10 pm

I think the professor is making a misguided attempt to "toughen you up."

I hope the meeting with the counselor goes well.