Can't stop feeling depressed

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2016, 7:06 pm

I wish I knew how to stand up for myself. Now knowing how causes people to feel sorry for me and it makes me unattractive. I hate it.

Earthbound
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2016, 7:10 pm

slw1990 wrote:
When I had Thanksgiving with my family my aunt gave me several drinks and I actually started to get drunk. Alcohol makes me feel a little better, but I still struggle an have trouble interacting with others. I feel like an unlovable helpless child and I'm don't know what to do about it. Sometimes I don't want to be alive.

I personally don't think drinking would ever be a good solution to things. Interacting is hard but people will understand if you have trouble.

You are one of the few on this site that chat with me! I wish I could help more, you are a very nice person and I wish things were better for you :(

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2016, 10:34 pm

Earthbound wrote:
I personally don't think drinking would ever be a good solution to things. Interacting is hard but people will understand if you have trouble.

You are one of the few on this site that chat with me! I wish I could help more, you are a very nice person and I wish things were better for you :(

Thank you. I want to clarify that my aunt wasn't really pressuring me to drink and also that a lot of my family is pretty accepting, but sometimes I just feel frustrated.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2016, 2:08 am

I feel like there's some kind of vibe I give off that causes people to target me and be unattractive because I have almost no experience at all. It seems like the few guys that seem to like me always like someone else more or are just desperate and don't really like me.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2016, 2:21 am

I think you should try singing lessons. That would strengthen your voice and make it more expressive, and give it more range and variation. And you might even discover a hidden talent! :mrgreen:

There Are Four Lights!

neurotypicalET
Toucan
Toucan

29 Nov 2016, 7:25 am

I too was and still is depressed but just your average run of the mill depression...nothing clinical or anything... What it did though is forced me to take happiness where I can find it...although it made look like and idiot being overly excited for something so trivial to others...but it did kept me going....and about you being untractive...I don't know whether you mean physically or about your personality... Because to me no matter how beautiful a girl is on the outside if she rotten in the inside....my mind will always see her as fuggly.... :lol:

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2016, 11:44 am

neurotypicalET wrote:
I too was and still is depressed but just your average run of the mill depression...nothing clinical or anything... What it did though is forced me to take happiness where I can find it...although it made look like and idiot being overly excited for something so trivial to others...but it did kept me going....and about you being untractive...I don't know whether you mean physically or about your personality... Because to me no matter how beautiful a girl is on the outside if she rotten in the inside....my mind will always see her as fuggly.... :lol:

I meant personality. I mean, I'm a nice person and have motivation, but I struggle with social things like standing up for myself, connecting with others and being able to figure out things that are simple.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2016, 11:48 am

You'd be surprised how many people, whether or not they are on the Spectrum, identify with what you just wrote.

Private Idaho
Toucan
Toucan

29 Nov 2016, 3:05 pm

Maybe you can find more opportunities for social interaction such as volunteer work?

You might be the type who needs to be around people for a while so they can notice your positive qualities.

neurotypicalET
Toucan
Toucan

29 Nov 2016, 3:49 pm

slw1990 wrote:
neurotypicalET wrote:

I meant personality. I mean, I'm a nice person and have motivation, but I struggle with social things like standing up for myself, connecting with others and being able to figure out things that are simple.
standing up for myself<===can you give an example...also if you can't figure it out then it isn't that simple...to you at least...connecting with others..I've given up on this, so I can't help you with this one....It seems to me your seeing yourself from someone else's point of view.....

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2016, 4:58 pm

Private Idaho wrote:
Maybe you can find more opportunities for social interaction such as volunteer work?

You might be the type who needs to be around people for a while so they can notice your positive qualities.

I do volunteer work. Most of the people there are nice, but it's mostly older people.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2016, 5:14 pm

neurotypicalET wrote:
slw1990 wrote:
neurotypicalET wrote:

standing up for myself<===can you give an example...also if you can't figure it out then it isn't that simple...to you at least...connecting with others..I've given up on this, so I can't help you with this one....It seems to me your seeing yourself from someone else's point of view.....

Why does it seem that way exactly? I meant that they are things that most people are able to easily figure out and this causes problems for me. I can tell that it's obvious just from observing others doing the same things. It's things like figuring out whether I should stop for a pedestrian or not, not knowing who should go first when I cross paths with someone, trouble using the self-checkout at the grocery store ect.

Halbert
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Nov 2016, 5:32 pm

Exercise works to help your head, but it takes time and devotion. For me, biking in the country is an almost religious experience, so it's easy for me. My spouse of nearly 24 years ditched me this summer. Without the bike, I'd be dead or locked up by now.

And about depression, please do what you can to get help or get yourself well by whatever means possible. Life is hard for a lot of us. I've been close to suicide myself. But my feelings about it changed drastically seven years ago, when my little brother killed himself. I was estranged from him and didn't know he was in trouble. It was awful for the family. Some of us were crushed. It's easy to lose sight of that when you're in pain.

neurotypicalET
Toucan
Toucan

29 Nov 2016, 5:56 pm

slw1990 wrote:
neurotypicalET wrote:
slw1990 wrote:
neurotypicalET wrote:

Why does it seem that way exactly? I meant that they are things that most people are able to easily figure out and this causes problems for me. I can tell that it's obvious just from observing others doing the same things. It's things like figuring out whether I should stop for a pedestrian or not, not knowing who should go first when I cross paths with someone, trouble using the self-checkout at the grocery store ect.

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 3:46 pm

Depression is an on-off thing for me and a lot of it now is just accepting that there will be bad days, but those bad days aren't definitive of how my life is going. I try to keep busy so I have things to fall back on for distractions, or to remind myself of when things seem worse than they are.