Freaking out about a big life change

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Sai
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Sep 2017, 4:31 pm

So this time next week I'll be moving to a new city to start a new job and I'm completely freaking out about it.

To put it into some context - I live with my husband and have a stable job that I love and that I've done for a number of years. About 7 years ago I started playing basketball (ie. I got obsessed with playing basketball) and it turned out that I was quite good at it. I was invited to try out for the Great Britain team in 2014 and got accepted, but then quit about a month later as I just couldn't cope with it all. Last year I went back and was accepted back into the programme. Now all the training has moved to a new city and I decided to keep doing it in the hope of going to the World Cup next year or maybe the Olympics in 3 years. I've got 5 days left at my job and then I move to a new flat (without my husband - he doesn't want to move) and start doing basketball full time.

Everyone keeps telling me that I must be so excited to be doing this and it's such a great opportunity but all I can think is that it's so much change and I have no idea how to deal with it, and maybe this is the worst mistake ever. My anxiety is so bad right now. I've committed to it now and I'm going to see it through, but it's scary as hell.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 5:40 pm

That's pretty nifty. Congrats!

I wish your husband would keep in contact with you. I'd be honored to be married to a great basketball player.

Will you be getting a stipend?

There was a thread recently which asked : "Can an Aspie be a great athlete?" Well...I guess the answer is "yes."

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 6:04 pm

Congratulations on your success, you're taking a risk but the world needs risk takers. Big change is really scary but this is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

It must make you feel so sad to know you will be away from your husband but this kind of situation isn't unprecedented. Partners of soldiers and sailors face the same, and at least you will still be in the same country!

Sai

03 Sep 2017, 3:35 am

Thank you kraftiekortie and fifasy. I hope to drive back on some weekends to be with my husband / at home but I'm not sure how often that will be.

Yes, there will be a monthly "wage" to cover rent etc.

Thanks again. I think I just need to do it now, and settle into a new routine!

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 5:42 am

My work is temporary so always 3, 6 or 9 months at a company before moving to the next one so I know all about moving cities for work.

I wish I could tell you something that would make the process easier, but it's still hard for me. What I can tell you is that you'll gradually build up new routines so the initial week or two will be the worst, but things will snap into place more as time goes on.

I always split my time and focus on one thing at a time. First is somewhere to live. Once I have that I sort out a way of getting back to my permanent home at the weekend. Then I focus on finding a gym. Then I focus on a supermarket and shopping routine. Those things probably aren't all relevant to you, but that's how I tackle it mentally. A routine to work out my routines :)

So I know it's anxiety inducing but that is only temporary...with each week that passes you'll feel better and better and before long your new life will be your new normal.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 6:02 am

She's a basketball player. What you said about the gym and the supermarket is quite relevant.

Sai

03 Sep 2017, 6:14 am

Chichikov wrote:
So I know it's anxiety inducing but that is only temporary...with each week that passes you'll feel better and better and before long your new life will be your new normal.

Thanks for this, it is helpful. I think it would have been easier if I had some time between moving and starting my new job but it's going to be pretty full-on. Taking it a week at a time seems to be the way forwards.

Thanks again.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 6:39 am

What position do you play?

I'm a shorty, so I used to go under people to get open. My shot sucked, though.

Sai

03 Sep 2017, 7:14 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
What position do you play?

I'm a shorty, so I used to go under people to get open. My shot sucked, though.

I'm a forward / forward-centre - so big and slow :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 7:44 am

You must be pretty good in the low post, then.

I could have had many assists with you.

I should have used the passing aspect of my game more, rather than just chuck the ball up.

Sai

03 Sep 2017, 10:11 am

Yeah, that's exactly where I like to be!

When did you play?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 10:58 am

I only played with my friends in the schoolyard. I was a tenacious defender, though. I was called Superman as a derisive nickname because I tried so hard.

Who knows....had I used my passing abilities better, I could have made my high school team.