Autism/AS and coping with grief during the holidays

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

NYAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Nov 2017, 8:01 pm

As you're well aware, Halloween has come and gone and the specter of Christmas and New Year's seems to loom larger than ever. (Here in the US, Thanksgiving informally ushers in the holiday season, FYI.)

The last two months of the year have been my favorite part of same, filled with both parents' birthdays, my own birthday, Christmas/holiday parties, events, and the like. However, with my Mom's passing earlier this year, this is going to be the most difficult season I'll have ever witnessed. Triggers will abound, no question about it, and I'll try and open myself to holiday joy despite the pain of loss. My Mom did a good deal in the run-up to Christmas, cooking Christmas dinner and hosting the day's festivities with our family. As someone who was very close to her, I'll be feeling this the worst of anybody (save my Dad).

I have been part of a bereavement support group at a nearby Catholic church, so that has helped in some way, and they'll have a session where coping with grief during this time of year will be discussed. I also have events within my friend circle to look forward to, BTW. On the contrary, my autism support group is planning a potluck in place of their usual meeting next month, and that means I'd likely have to call upon my sister to whip up something, and I don't want to put her through the ringer in that regard (my nephew is in kindergarten, and he provides enough stress and agita alone as it is). As such, I'd prefer not to attend such events.

Any tips on how to cope with loss amidst the hustle and bustle of the holiday season? Thanks, I'll hang up and listen...

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 4:45 am

I always enjoyed the tradition of having everyone together and happy for Christmas, the jovial feelings I associated with the holidays stemmed from that experience.

The first Christmas after dad died felt empty and meaningless. I tried to keep it all together and make the most of it, but I was the only one with the energy to do that.
I've often thought that my family's sadness that year would have been a more healthy way for me to be also. I guess everyone needs the space to react differently, I don't regret the effort I put in that year, but my health suffered for it.

For now I would say it's just another milestone to get through... a few years passed before it became a joyful experience again, though I anticipate it will always feel bittersweet.

MarissaKay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Nov 2017, 5:27 am

I'm so sorry about you losing your mom this year. I lost my cousin a couple of weeks ago and am just dealing with the grief myself, worrying about how I'll handle the holidays; I was really looking forward to seeing her for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I'll pass on the advice that my therapist has been telling me to do to handle this: It's perfectly okay to feel sad, but keep yourself busy so you don't dwell on the sadness. It makes the triggers so much easier to deal with when you're preoccupied, especially when it's doing an activity that you enjoy. It's awesome that you have a friend circle and a few support groups in your life! I suspect it would be really good for you to focus on the excitement of spending time with your friends in your upcoming events.

Good luck! I hope that the support group session on grief with the nearby church helps you, too.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 9:15 am

I'm sure your mother would want you to have fun with the other members of your family.

If you have a Costco nearby (and can afford it), you could get great stuff for a "potluck." You can make it so that they don't know it came from Costco.

Especially if you get along with your dad, you could have fun with him during the holiday season, while sharing the fine memories of your mother.

It's better for people to be with each other during times of grief, rather than withdrawing from each other. This is especially true if you get along.

It's best that you don't deny your grief....but that you continue living. I'm sure your mom would want you to continue living.

NYAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Nov 2017, 3:16 pm

MarissaKay wrote:
I'm so sorry about you losing your mom this year. I lost my cousin a couple of weeks ago and am just dealing with the grief myself, worrying about how I'll handle the holidays; I was really looking forward to seeing her for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I'll pass on the advice that my therapist has been telling me to do to handle this: It's perfectly okay to feel sad, but keep yourself busy so you don't dwell on the sadness. It makes the triggers so much easier to deal with when you're preoccupied, especially when it's doing an activity that you enjoy. It's awesome that you have a friend circle and a few support groups in your life! I suspect it would be really good for you to focus on the excitement of spending time with your friends in your upcoming events.

Good luck! I hope that the support group session on grief with the nearby church helps you, too.

Thanks; the aforementioned support group has helped in some way. I had a get-together with an old high school friend and his wife earlier this afternoon, so that likewise helped. Incidentally, the wife lost her dad a couple of years back, and she said that the holidays aren't real fun when you're grieving a loss. Of course, I've been working, attending various meetups and getting out on weekends (usually before dinner).

NYAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Nov 2017, 3:30 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm sure your mother would want you to have fun with the other members of your family.

If you have a Costco nearby (and can afford it), you could get great stuff for a "potluck." You can make it so that they don't know it came from Costco.

Especially if you get along with your dad, you could have fun with him during the holiday season, while sharing the fine memories of your mother.

It's better for people to be with each other during times of grief, rather than withdrawing from each other. This is especially true if you get along.

It's best that you don't deny your grief....but that you continue living. I'm sure your mom would want you to continue living.

About your "potluck" suggestion: My Dad has tried his hand at making desserts and he's done good (but nowhere as good as my Mom did). We recently gave all the cake mix and such that was in our pantry when she passed to my sister for her baking needs as the holidays approach. I'd rather get something pre-made from a grocery store's bakery department.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 5:02 pm

I bet you're a Giants fan. That's the logo of the New York Giants football team.

NYAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2017, 10:11 am

MarissaKay wrote:

Thanks; I've also been volunteering once a month at the local food bank in the salvage room, which I've been doing since a few months before my Mom passed away.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 11:18 am

My mother passed in May, so I can emphasize with the way you're feeling right now. All the best to you during this difficult time.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

NYAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2017, 8:53 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
My mother passed in May, so I can emphasize with the way you're feeling right now. All the best to you during this difficult time.

Thanks

Cat23
Raven
Raven

01 Dec 2017, 11:45 pm

NYAspie wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

About your "potluck" suggestion: My Dad has tried his hand at making desserts and he's done good (but nowhere as good as my Mom did). We recently gave all the cake mix and such that was in our pantry when she passed to my sister for her baking needs as the holidays approach. I'd rather get something pre-made from a grocery store's bakery department.

I don’t know what most ppl think but I think potluck is just a way of trying to include ppl to make them feel important and let them share their talents with others... they are going to remember ur compliments on what they’ve bought not what u bring.

I second the idea of a pre made cake or a cheese platter done!

I’m sorry about ur grief.

Cat23
Raven
Raven

01 Dec 2017, 11:48 pm

NYAspie wrote:
MarissaKay wrote:

Thanks; I've also been volunteering once a month at the local food bank in the salvage room, which I've been doing since a few months before my Mom passed away.

So good of u to volunteer!! ! Can I ask what’s the salvage room?

NYAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2017, 2:26 pm

Cat23 wrote:

It's where area supermarkets send their unsold perishable inventory -- often meat products, frozen foods -- and are given to the less fortunate in our 19-county area. Rarely, we also help family shelters and provide bedding, toys and such to them.

Cat23
Raven
Raven

09 Dec 2017, 10:00 pm

NYAspie wrote:
Cat23 wrote:

It's where area supermarkets send their unsold perishable inventory -- often meat products, frozen foods -- and are given to the less fortunate in our 19-county area. Rarely, we also help family shelters and provide bedding, toys and such to them.

Wow meat!! !! ! The only meat our guys get is meat in a can (spam) or of course tuna but that’s probably a distribution limitation. I think our big supermarkets (there are only 2 major chains) give the actual homeless shelter food. Is it the law there that supermarkets need to donate food?