Why are people offended by everything?

Page 3 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Adam55
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jan 2018, 1:11 pm

Because we've been spoon fed politically correct nonsense for years and it's effected the youth the most because they are (lets be honest) very easily influenced.

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2018, 4:24 pm

I guess being offended will cease to be such a big deal when those perceived to be right-wing leaning begin to take ownership of the word by simply claiming to be "offended by immigration" or "offended by gay marriage" etc. rather than trying to defend their position with their own reasoning. I'm on the left with the majority of issues but I find this sort of thing extremely counter-productive. It's basically playground stuff.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2018, 12:58 am

TheAP wrote:
And League_Girl, no one gets offended over things that aren't offensive, any more than people can have an allergic reaction over things that don't cause allergies.

Nope, only people with mental issues do like how people with allergies have a reaction to things that are harmless.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

LittleCoyoteKat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2018, 10:11 pm

Because they replaced their sense of humor with a puckered a**h***.

Just my opinion.

I am a Bookwyrm.

Spycraft
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Jan 2018, 8:44 am

FunkyPunky wrote:
Last night I saw a post on Facebook saying that breast cancer charities that use shirt like "Save the Boobies" or "Save Second Base" need to be shut down because it was misogynistic. I left a comment asking if it really mattered since the charity was literally saving women's lives. Shouldn't that be enough? I woke up with a reply list a mile long calling me a misogynist a mansplainer and a dozen other names I won't repeat here. Why are people so determined to be offended that they would rather leave cancer patients without treatment than put on their big kid pants and deal with it?

Those words are sexist. They objectify women and make it sound she is just meant for one purpose.
What would it feel like if men were used that way for generations and for in the 21st century for people still saying those things?
This type of frat boy language promotes rape culture which is basically men thinking they can do anything to women. Didn't you learn anything from #metoo?

I actually knew a guy that was involved in some sexual harassment and so I've started to take another look at it. I hated what this culture did to a good mentally vulnerable man.

I got to say I'm disappointed in all but a few people here. If you think people should get over offensive jokes then maybe you'd like someone to call you the r word 10 times a day. Doesn't feel good, does it?

Spycraft
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Jan 2018, 8:52 am

lostproperty wrote:
I guess being offended will cease to be such a big deal when those perceived to be right-wing leaning begin to take ownership of the word by simply claiming to be "offended by immigration" or "offended by gay marriage" etc. rather than trying to defend their position with their own reasoning. I'm on the left with the majority of issues but I find this sort of thing extremely counter-productive. It's basically playground stuff.

No, because those are legit things to be offended by. Meanwhile being offended by gay marriage is just homophobia and being offended by immigration doesn't make a lick of sense.

What is so wrong with wanting to treat all people with respect? Offensive language leads to bullying and that can lead to suicide. There is really something wrong when social media makes people lose their empathy, and I'm not talking about autistic people. I'm talking about people who developed it normally and then lost that ability after being holed up in their houses for years from being on the internet.

I just don't know why people think it's ok to insult others.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 10:00 am

If one person gets offended, that person just has problems. If everyone gets offended, then you or that person is an as*hole whoever did it. If you don't get what the problem is, it might be your autism or maybe you are a narcissist.

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jan 2018, 2:54 pm

Spycraft wrote:
FunkyPunky wrote:
Last night I saw a post on Facebook saying that breast cancer charities that use shirt like "Save the Boobies" or "Save Second Base" need to be shut down because it was misogynistic. I left a comment asking if it really mattered since the charity was literally saving women's lives. Shouldn't that be enough? I woke up with a reply list a mile long calling me a misogynist a mansplainer and a dozen other names I won't repeat here. Why are people so determined to be offended that they would rather leave cancer patients without treatment than put on their big kid pants and deal with it?

Those words are sexist. They objectify women and make it sound she is just meant for one purpose.
What would it feel like if men were used that way for generations and for in the 21st century for people still saying those things?
This type of frat boy language promotes rape culture which is basically men thinking they can do anything to women. Didn't you learn anything from #metoo?

I actually knew a guy that was involved in some sexual harassment and so I've started to take another look at it. I hated what this culture did to a good mentally vulnerable man.

I got to say I'm disappointed in all but a few people here. If you think people should get over offensive jokes then maybe you'd like someone to call you the r word 10 times a day. Doesn't feel good, does it?

Funny thing is that the owner of that page asked "What if they had a testicular cancer campaign with the slogan 'save the weewees'?" and literally everybody responded saying that they would be grateful that people cared enough about them to make shirts and raise money to help them out. So maybe it's not sexist, maybe you're just oversensitive. Here's my main problem with the whole thing: do you have breast cancer? Do you have cancer at all? If not, then who are you to go around saying a charity for cancer victims needs to be shut down? Your feelings are not more important than the lives of the people that charity might save and claiming otherwise is pretty narcissistic of you.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 3:21 pm

Save the immune system
Save the bladder
Save the colon
Save the lunges
Save the brain
Save the hair
"Save your arms and legs and eye sight" for diabetes awareness and how important it is to very good care of yourself if you are a diabetic so you won't have to have anything amputated or go blind

Yes I see it. No different to saying save the boobies or save the breasts when spreading a certain cancer awareness.

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jan 2018, 3:55 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Save the immune system
Save the bladder
Save the colon
Save the lunges
Save the brain
Save the hair
"Save your arms and legs and eye sight" for diabetes awareness and how important it is to very good care of yourself if you are a diabetic so you won't have to have anything amputated or go blind

Yes I see it. No different to saying save the boobies or save the breasts when spreading a certain cancer awareness.

I'm not sure if you're actually taking my side or if you're being sarcastic. Breast cancer has the built in bonus that men find breasts sexually attractive. The woman (yes, woman) who started this charity decided to use that as a way to appeal to more people because raising money to help and save cancer victims and research a cure for cancer was more important to her than the feelings of people who don't even have cancer.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 4:01 pm

My friend from high school is dying of breast cancer. She has had both breasts removed by mastectomy, so I guess she's not worth saving anymore. The woman might as well die once the breasts are gone, as they are the most important part of her to the man in her life. Also, her husband left her for another woman now that she is sick and no longer has any breasts.

Needless to say, we find "save the boobies" rather offensive. A woman is more than a walking pair of breasts, and is worth saving for more than just the sake of her tits.

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jan 2018, 4:06 pm

karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
My friend from high school is dying of breast cancer. She has had both breasts removed by mastectomy, so I guess she's not worth saving anymore. The woman might as well die once the breasts are gone, as they are the most important part of her to the man in her life. Also, her husband left her for another woman now that she is sick and no longer has any breasts.

Needless to say, we find "save the boobies" rather offensive. A woman is more than a walking pair of breasts, and is worth saving for more than just the sake of her tits.

You're putting words in other people's mouths. IE, you're offending yourself. You can't blame everyone else for these things when you're the one saying them.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 4:12 pm

FunkyPunky wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Save the immune system
Save the bladder
Save the colon
Save the lunges
Save the brain
Save the hair

I'm not sure if you're actually taking my side or if you're being sarcastic. Breast cancer has the built in bonus that men find breasts sexually attractive. The woman (yes, woman) who started this charity decided to use that as a way to appeal to more people because raising money to help and save cancer victims and research a cure for cancer was more important to her than the feelings of people who don't even have cancer.

No I am serious. I was agreeing about how silly it is to get offended by the campaign.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 4:45 pm

FunkyPunky wrote:

You're putting words in other people's mouths. IE, you're offending yourself. You can't blame everyone else for these things when you're the one saying them.

I will pass that along to my friend, that she's only offending herself. I am sure that will be great comfort to her as she dies with no tits to save.

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jan 2018, 4:50 pm

FunkyPunky wrote:

I will pass that along to my friend, that she's only offending herself. I am sure that will be great comfort to her as she dies with no tits to save.

Be sure to show her this thread so that she'll know you're the only one who even mentioned that women are worthless without their tits.

LittleCoyoteKat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 5:19 pm

Apparently the post I put up was taken down. I guess it was a little too real. But yeah guys, put more words in people's mouths, that'll show em.

I find it absolutely ridiculous that there are "offended" people complaining about a shirt whilst attacking others without provocation or threat, over imagined slights. This is nuts. Is there a way to block a thread? The level of toxic psychology here is suffocating.

I am a Bookwyrm.