Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

playgroundlover
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Apr 2020, 9:06 pm

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about freewriting as a coping skill to deal with unpleasant emotions. As a TA in a school, when I found out that had to stay at home and do distance learning (at the time most likely for the remainder of the year), I was feeling stressed and hurt so I decided to write a long poem about my deepest feelings toward a very special student of mine that I may not ever see in person again. I have almost 3 full pages now and I've been adding a little bit each day. Sometimes, I tear up and cry a little but during my writing. Is this a healthy coping strategy? I'm looking for thoughts about this. Also, I was thinking that since I cannot be there in person for him to give him a present or even a hug, that on the last day of school (distance learning) I would read him my poem. I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not. I'm thinking of it like the last thing I can do for a child I love. However, when I had an online tutor read it over, they told me that I could get in a lot of trouble for reading it unless I clear it with the principal first. The problem is, I don't really feel comfortable sharing it with anyone else because the feelings are very personal about the bond that this student and I have shared over the last year and a half. The intense pain he has caused me at times and yet how much I love him and only feel so sad because I want to help him be his best. You know, feelings like that. What can I do? Any thoughts about this would be greatly appreciated. By the way, this student is moving up to middle school (5th grade) and that is why I cannot see him again when the school year ends.

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2020, 9:54 pm

I think writing the poem is a healthy outlet and coping mechanism.

Sharing it without the principal's permission would be unwise.