Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 12:52 am

It killed me to watch these stories unfold.

The mum and daughter were both crying when they arrived with their cat. Kitty had been well in the morning but developed the same symptoms as my dog. They had to sign consent papers for treatment / cost, and she said she was on a very limited income as a single parent. They asked if she could afford $600 because that would be the lowest cost for an exam and possible euthanasia. The mum said she could do $600 but no more. The daughter understood what that meant and kept sobbing. It was nearly unbearable for me to see this poor woman trying to stay composed and maintain her dignity in the face of such fear.

I considered asking for her email so I could etransfer money. I couldn't pay their whole bill but maybe anything above $600 if the kitty could be saved? I had to remind myself to detach and allow them privacy. I knew my dog's care would be expensive, and I also have three cats who need regular vet care. I'm a single mum too. I ended up wearing earplugs and staring at a blank wall just to cope. It's bad enough in hospital with my mum, when I see trauma happening for families. When animals, children, or vulnerable adults suffer it's more than I can stand.

Here's to our pets!
I couldn't survive without mine, and it sounds like you're the same.

Thank goodness your parents / rescuer were able to help you.

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jul 2022, 1:44 am

Vets waiting rooms and hospital emergency rooms are terrible places. So much suffering concentrated there. A real insight into humanity and our pain.

Well done for holding back on giving financial support you couldn't afford. That's such a difficult thing and yet so necessary. Balancing the human urge to help with the practical realities. Very tough!

I was in a similar situation to that woman a few years ago when my kitty died. Not that I think anything could really help at that stage. I had already delayed going to the vet for too long as I couldn't afford it. For whatever reason, the "bedside manner" of the vet was also pretty bad. Thinking about it still makes me cry. It took a long time to recover from the loss.

I'm so glad your hound is back home with loving family and improving! I hope he is back to normal soon.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 8:52 am

I'm glad your dog is getting better

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 4:09 pm

Good news that your dog is home.
Awful about the little girl’s kitten. :cry:
Been there with children losing beloved animals,it’s never easy.
I feel very blessed that my vet will let low income folks pay out their pet’s bills monthly.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 4:30 pm

:heart: Love to your dog. :heart:

Vasco
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jul 2022, 5:20 pm

Sending hope and love your way. :heart:

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2022, 2:55 am

Good that dog made it. :)

Was gonna go all philosophical about life and death (the poor kitty and family), but decided against it as lecturing annoys me when I do it nowadays when not asked for and will just share a quote from The Thin Red Line that resonated and resonates with me when it comes to these things (sorta went from the former to the latter overnight here).

One man looks at a dying bird and thinks there's nothing but unanswered pain. That death's got the final word, it's laughing at him. Another man sees that same bird, feels the glory, feels something smiling through it.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 7:54 pm

So so glad your pup is on the mend. Hope the vets figures out what is causing this illness.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2022, 11:27 pm

So glad your Dog is getting better, our pets are so special.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2022, 11:33 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I feel very blessed that my vet will let low income folks pay out their pet’s bills monthly.

You're very lucky.

This was an emergency vet clinic that I'd never been to. I didn't hear them offer any sort of assistance or payment plan to anyone. My regular vet doesn't really offer anything either, but I have insurance on two of my three cats and it's already saved me a fortune. I even get paid back for most of their prescription food. Stupid me, I didn't get insurance on my dog when he was a pup. I could kick myself for that.

There are charitable organisations that you can apply to here, for veterinary expense relief. I tick all the boxes for qualification but I've never had the guts to inquire of my vet or the agency itself.

Update: He's doing a lot better but still tired. The final diagnosis was a bad seizure and a heart arrhythmia.

Thanks again to everyone for your puppy-love.

JDintheQuietCorner
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jul 2022, 2:16 pm

Quote:
I have no idea how anyone can work at an emergency vet and see this every day. More power to them.

Same. As I recall, the suicide rate for veterinarians is staggeringly high. Just looked on the Google and in 2019, 1 in 6 report having had suicidal thoughts in the previous year & 3x more likely than the average person to actually do it. That # has only had to gone up during this pandemic and economic situation.

I did a day shadow at a vet hospital during high school and I could not imagine having to see that every day. I think back on a golden retriever with bone cancer whose family told the vet to put her down, by phone, and I did my best to comfort her with petting and soothing voice right until the end. God I’m selling up with tears just remembering it now. I’m really not a crier… except for losing an animal and it doesn’t even have to be my own.

Needless to say, vet / animal care was crossed off my list as potential careers after that.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 9:05 am

They told the vet to put her down by phone and never showed up to be with her?!? How cold hearted.
The vet I use will come to your home to put a pet down, when that times comes ( hopefully very far off) I will have her come to my house, I don’t care what it costs.

bunglebonse
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Jul 2022, 7:03 pm

Hope your beautiful little friend is doing ok now.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 1:25 am

Misslizard wrote:
They told the vet to put her down by phone and never showed up to be with her?!? How cold hearted.
The vet I use will come to your home to put a pet down, when that times comes ( hopefully very far off) I will have her come to my house, I don’t care what it costs.

I have a vet that comes to my place as I don't drive and he had to put my 16 year old cat down 2 years ago, he wrapped her up in an old towel and took her away.
It was a while before I felt like having another cat as I missed having one around.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 1:38 am

Aprilviolets wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

I have a vet that comes to my place as I don't drive and he had to put my 16 year old cat down 2 years ago, he wrapped her up in an old towel and took her away.
It was a while before I felt like having another cat as I missed having one around.

:( :( :(

That's so sad April.

Do you have another kitty now?

Speaking of cats, where is my 18 yo? I haven't seen him all night and he needs his meds.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 4:31 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Aprilviolets wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

:( :( :(

That's so sad April.

Do you have another kitty now?

Speaking of cats, where is my 18 yo? I haven't seen him all night and he needs his meds.

Yes I have another Kitty, her name is Florence, they named her at the pet rescue I kept her name as it suits her.