Being harassed and kicked out of my home

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

kwilky
Raven
Raven

17 Nov 2011, 10:10 am

Hi. I'm staying with my grandma right now in florida. She's been harassing me and is now kicking me out of the house because I don't have a job. I am paying rent and buying my own food. I collect disability as my income. She will not accept the fact that I have a disability and doesn't want it in her house. Discrimination basically. Anyway, I'm not sure what to do. I've been looking for rooms for rent on craigslist and there are quite a lot of them but because of my disability I face discrimination and nobody wants me in their house. I've responded to a lot of ads and do not ever get a response back. I can afford the rent for all the ads I responded to so there's no real reason why I'm being ignored by people. I have until december to find a room or I'm probably going to be homeless. I don't deserve that..... I've applied for public housing but that's gonna take at least a year before I'm going to be able to get into a public housing unit.

Any advice would be nice.... I'm in the orlando area if anyone happens to have a room for rent. Slim chance I'll find something on wrongplanet but I might as well try. Thanks.

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 11:39 am

Hmm...I have been in similar situations a few times since I was 16. I would suggest trying to talk to her (and keeping your tone very neutral. non-judgmental). If that is not an option, perhaps you could contact other family members that might be more accepting. I am sorry that I do not have much to offer as far as advice goes. If I lived in Florida I would be more than willing to try to rent a place with you. Alas, I am in AL.

V001
Toucan
Toucan

17 Nov 2011, 12:09 pm

Post an ad yourself on craigslist. Be upfront that you can pay. Something like need to be roommates On Dec. 1 2011. Maybe forget to say you have the income from disability and say you have a small trust fund. That is sort of true.

kwilky
Raven
Raven

17 Nov 2011, 12:57 pm

I don't know if it's a good idea to not let people know about my disability income. People seem to make such a huge deal out of it. If I didn't mention it and then the person I'm renting from found out (I get mail from them every once in a while) I might get kicked out right away and then I would really be screwed. I do have other family but they're all the way in colorado.... I lived with my mom before I came out here and she just got sick of paying most of the rent for me so she shipped me off to her parents. I don't really blame her. She had done a lot for me. She understands more than my grandma though. My grandma is old and stubborn. She really doesn't understand and never will. She just doesn't care. You know how many times she's called me rude and a jerk because I have trouble communicating? Too many times. I'm sick of it and don't even wanna stay with her anymore. I just don't know how I'll find another place to live.

bucephalus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 3:21 pm

kwilky wrote:
I don't know if it's a good idea to not let people know about my disability income. People seem to make such a huge deal out of it. If I didn't mention it and then the person I'm renting from found out (I get mail from them every once in a while) I might get kicked out right away and then I would really be screwed. I do have other family but they're all the way in colorado.... I lived with my mom before I came out here and she just got sick of paying most of the rent for me so she shipped me off to her parents. I don't really blame her. She had done a lot for me. She understands more than my grandma though. My grandma is old and stubborn. She really doesn't understand and never will. She just doesn't care. You know how many times she's called me rude and a jerk because I have trouble communicating? Too many times. I'm sick of it and don't even wanna stay with her anymore. I just don't know how I'll find another place to live.

May I ask what your disability is. I only have AS but I've rented lots of rooms and I've never told anyone about my disability - because it's none of their business. The idea of posting an ad with the deadline is a good one... keep trying and be careful who you choose

kwilky
Raven
Raven

17 Nov 2011, 5:29 pm

You're right, my disability is nobody's business. My source of income is though. Everyone asks what you do for work. Even if they didn't, I stay home all day. They'll wonder where I get the money for rent from. I will probably post an ad in the next few days if I have too. I prefer not to do that because of people who may just be playing around with me when they respond to the ad. There are tons of spambots and other garbage on craigslist and I'd rather respond to ads so I know the person is actually renting out a room to me. I don't have a diagnosis so I'm not entirely sure what exactly I've got. I suspect some form of autism but it may just be a personality disorder.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 11:46 pm

So are you getting disability payments from something unrelated to autism?

MikeB2of10
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Nov 2011, 2:43 am

There use to be a lot of good apartment rental sites out there. Look around the colleges. Those renters are use to dealing with unusual situations. Also might have better luck with private people renting compared to conglomerates.

On the family side, don't know really what to say there other than the fact I understand how you feel. I've just had to come to the conclusion that people from past generations were taught different things, many tied to religion that would say what issues we have are due to some things we've done wrong or sins we've made. General society, even secular, saw disorders as the fault of the individual or as a sign of them being a bad person. So for her its not so much what you have in all likelihood but what she's trained to think it says about you....and worse yet, and harder to deal with, herself.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 3:45 pm

Try subletting.

Frances

LjosalfrBlot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Nov 2011, 3:49 pm

I'm sorry I went through the same thing when I was a teenager. I would let you stay with us but there's no room :(

kwilky
Raven
Raven

18 Nov 2011, 6:11 pm

Quote:
So are you getting disability payments from something unrelated to autism?

I'm not sure what social security has written down as my disability. The doctor's reports I gave them all had autism/aspergers written down as a possibility but none of them were from a psychologist or whatever so they couldn't dx it. I have severe anxiety issues and have a hard time functioning outside my home and even inside my home if I can't get privacy. I know for sure that social security has at least that on my record. Nobody wants someone in their home who is just gonna shut the door and never be seen around the home. That's what I need though. It's frustrating.

Quote:
On the family side, don't know really what to say there other than the fact I understand how you feel. I've just had to come to the conclusion that people from past generations were taught different things, many tied to religion that would say what issues we have are due to some things we've done wrong or sins we've made. General society, even secular, saw disorders as the fault of the individual or as a sign of them being a bad person. So for her its not so much what you have in all likelihood but what she's trained to think it says about you....and worse yet, and harder to deal with, herself.

I've come to that conclusion also.

Anyway.... Still haven't found a room.

OLIVERBELL
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Nov 2011, 6:23 pm

Sorry if this doesn't help, I just have to say it.
"What do you do for work?"
"I receive income from the government."
"What do you do for them?"
"I am unable to discuss that information."

Would that work? You're not lying by doing this.
if they assume something else (that your a spy,
work for the CIA, etc.)
that's their fault.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 11:33 pm

I hope that you can get yourself into a place of your own and that things will improve for you in the near future.Image

Mishmash
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Nov 2011, 10:06 am

OLIVERBELL wrote:
Sorry if this doesn't help, I just have to say it.
"What do you do for work?"
"I receive income from the government."
"What do you do for them?"
"I am unable to discuss that information."

This is plausible. My sister works for some kind of financial institution and because of the nature of her job she is bound to a confidentiality agreement which does not permit her to discuss any details of her job with anyone AT ALL; she's not even allowed to put the address of her workplace on her CV.
I agree that where you get your income from is nobody's business apart from yours.
P.S. How do they know you don't work from home online? In this day and age there are lots of ways to work without having to go into an office every day.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2011, 10:50 am

kwilky wrote:
Everyone asks what you do for work. Even if they didn't, I stay home all day.

Nothing wrong with being home all day, but I suspect that is what bothers people. For a variety of reasons related to their feelings of personal security, they want other people to be like them.

Would your grandmother possibly be satisfied if you did some volunteer work somewhere a few days a week?

Raven_Morris
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Nov 2011, 9:48 pm

I am curious what ended up happening with your living arrangement?

Wishing you the best... I know exactly how this goes. I am about to be kicked out of my mom's place when she moves, I am here temporarily due to illness (environmental sensitivities) and have been unable to find a stable home for almost seven years now.

For sure it exhausting...