Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2022, 9:14 am

It is official - i got fired for lack of performance.

I am 54 this year. That next job will be hard to find.

Last edited by Fenn on 05 May 2022, 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2022, 9:18 am

Sorry to hear that, join the club.. I either walk out due to depression/frustration or get fired for poor work performance and making mistakes/having accidents. I'm 51 now and have been out of work over 22 years. Luckily for me as I'm in the UK I can claim state benefits due to my ADHD and drinking. I guess for you in the US things are more difficult.

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

Last edited by Rossall on 05 May 2022, 9:43 am, edited 5 times in total.

munstead
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2022, 9:19 am

Sorry to hear that. Do you agree with their reason? Can you appeal?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2022, 9:29 am

Sorry about that, Sir.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2022, 9:45 am

The reason is everyone else on the team got more done than me - by a lot. I am ADHD (diagnosed) and ASD (undiagnosed) and have low EF skills and that didn’t mix well with two years of social distancing and a boss who is a spectacular technical guy but poor project manager. And there were days i just didn’t get anything done. A lot of them. They probably also wanted to free up my salary for a new technical network/software architect position they are creating. I might try to fight it but in a way I agree with them. I didn’t get the job done.

I am a computer guy. I can write software, I have been a DBA and my last job was DevOps Engineer. Most of the other guys were from Ops I was the only one from Dev. They wanted to do everything by hand and got faster and faster every time they did something - i got slower. If i could automate it - which took time i could make it faster - but not as flexible as a top flight Ops guy. But i couldn’t automate fast enough and would hyperfocus on the wrong things. “Rabbit holes”. Sometimes nothing to do with work at all. Mood issues - dysthymia - and possible bi-polar ii - or not.

My boss said in my last review that when I got stuff done it was really really good but he wanted more stuff faster. But it wasn’t happening.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2022, 9:49 am

I'm so sorry this happened.
I wish there were some way you could continue working special projects or consulting with them.
I wish there were some way you could be accommodated for ADHD.
I wish today wasn't so difficult for you.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2022, 9:51 am

Thanks, Isa

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2022, 9:53 am

I’m sure there are positions opening up for you.

I would purport that computer “developers” are very much in demand.

I would start looking right away. Because, these days, it seems to take a few months to find jobs.

If you don’t feel like it now, I would evaluate how much savings you have.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2022, 9:58 am

I am mostly an introvert. But i found it much harder to stay focused on work with COVID-19 isolation. No co workers in the next cubical talking work stuff. No boss walking by saying where are you on that stuff. Or me over hearing a conversation and adding my spock-like knowledge. From the next cube. Somehow it really didn’t seem to bother the others on the team. I started to feel like major Tom sitting in my tin can high above the world. It stopped seeming real.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2022, 10:00 am

You might not feel like Major Tom in your next position.

I know it's certainly not pleasant feeling like Major Tom. I know that song well.

Hopefully, you can get a "remote" position next time.

munstead
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2022, 10:33 am

It sounds like you have some great skills and that despite being fired you could get a positive reference from them should one be required when applying for your next job. It seems from what you have written that it was some v particular points that weren't quite working and your employer was not sufficiently able to accommodate you, but this should not be any signal going forward. You sound like a great worker it is about the firm needing to find a way to get the best out of you. There is a firm in the UK that only hires autistic developers (Auticon) - perhaps there are some like that in the US, where I think you are based.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2022, 10:39 am

I might seek something like Munstead said----but there really aren't too many of these sorts of organizations around. I do hope you do find some such organization.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2022, 10:42 am

Fenn wrote:
It is official - i got fired for lack of performance.

I am 54 this year. That next job will be hard to find.

They didn't wait 'till Friday? Brutal.

I think last time I got fired on Tuesday... For being "difficult to work with".

"Yeeah, why don't go ahead and not come in starting tomorrow, that would be great... Mkaaay?" -- Every Bill Lumbergh

Last edited by r00tb33r on 05 May 2022, 10:52 am, edited 4 times in total.

munstead
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2022, 10:48 am

Have you built up a network from your professional life? Perhaps some have gone into freelance and if they respect / like you they may have some work to give you? You could try reaching out to such a network if you have one.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2022, 10:52 am

Depending on what state you're in, you might be eligible for unemployment insurance even if you were let go for "performance" reasons.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2022, 11:14 am

I can imagine how you feel.

Last time I lost a job, I cried my eyes out. And I’m not the crying type.