Are people with Aspergers more likely to commit suicide?

Page 8 of 12 [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2011, 8:10 pm

auntblabby wrote:
many aspies who are blue about their whole situation, should take a hint from the deaf peoples' coping playbook- aspies should also have their own language and culture separate from NTs, as the deaf do from the hearing world. a deaf person doesn't consider him/herself inferior to a hearing person, just differently abled, and an aspie should think likewise about him/herself relative to NTs. just my 2-cents' worth, adjusted for inflation :)

I don't think I would fit in with an 'aspie' culture either.......though keep in mind there is not just one NT culture, I mean there is society and the people that try and live in it and conform to it then there are those who do not. Not even all NTs like this society.

Bosun117
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jul 2011, 9:48 pm

I've had bouts with suicidal thoughts myself, particularly during my high school years. The thoughts usually stemmed from the aftermath of an extremely upsetting social encounter or something similar. College made it even worse, though. This past spring, I came as close as I've ever come to suicide... it's painful to think about.

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2011, 10:58 pm

I have never thought about suicide. But I do have some "passively suicidal" thoughts. For example, I would probably react to a robbery. In fact, I ran after a trio of pickpockets once when they stole a very cheap chinese MP3 Player I had.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2011, 11:02 pm

have attempted a few times, one which was almost fatal. however i was under the influence of alcohol. now that i'm on meds the thoughts are there but i don't think i cold ever attempt like i did in the past. the last attempt when i became sober after surgery was very painful.

mycats
Raven
Raven

30 Dec 2011, 5:12 pm

I don't think Aspergers and autistic should be in any used against someome to say that they are at risk of suicide. It is the bullying. And being on the Autistic specrum could be a high risk of being bullied. Cure the bullying first should be the goal. The goal of curing Autism just causes more bullying.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 9:43 pm

what is worse than the bullying, is having to be on one's toes in the process of defending oneself against said bullies who can be diabolically sneaky. this wears one down in a slow grind. it is yet more discouraging when bystanders either do nothing or laugh along/abet the bullies.

front
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Jan 2012, 3:33 pm

For years have had and still have the same thoughts about it.

Active - no
Passive - yes i wouldnt let them treat cancer, or if a car comes my side of the road i would happyly stay on mine

I dont wish for my family to have extra grieve but if i can get a good excuse .... any day is as good as the next day to die aint it?

alessi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jan 2012, 10:59 pm

I can honestly say I think about suicide every day and I have done since I was about 5 or 6 years old.

I take antidepressant medication which doesn't fix it but it makes it less intense - enough so that most of the time I don't actually attempt it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2012, 4:31 am

front wrote:
For years have had and still have the same thoughts about it.
Active - no
Passive - yes i wouldnt let them treat cancer, or if a car comes my side of the road i would happyly stay on mine
I dont wish for my family to have extra grieve but if i can get a good excuse .... any day is as good as the next day to die aint it?

sorry to be a killjoy [unintentional pun], but- if you don't let them treat cancer and it spreads to something like your brain or eyes or something which would leave you maimed and in much unpleasantness, then where would you be? cancer is a crappy way to go out, with protracted pain. same for getting hit by a car, it could just maim you for the rest of your life instead of killing you outright. when i was younger i was "accident-prone" and stumbled into many situations that should've killed me but for some reason unknown to me then, did not. luckily i never even got maimed by these "accidents" which were subconscious attempts by a part of me to off myself. but i've also seen the results [working in a hospital for decades] of people who tried most sincerely to end their lives but instead maimed themselves something awful, and they were in far worse a situation than they were in before- the lucky ones were vegetables who were unconscious of their awful new "jumping from the frying pan into the fire" situations. the unlucky ones [much more common] knew what they used to be and were in a situation where they no longer had any autonomy over their own bodies, and were basically "locked in" or stuck in their present living death situation. just think how awful that would be. i'm not saying don't commit suicide [only you can make that decision for yourself] but i am saying think it over as carefully as the most important life decision you will ever make. when it is your time, only then will you be allowed to go.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2012, 5:01 am

I go through periods of feeling empty and very depressed, and during these periods I always feel like committing suicide. This used to be a fairly rare thing, but it's been happening more and more often recently. I think the rest of the time I'm just hiding how depressed I feel, so it has to all come out some time.

However, something happened recently which made me feel a lot better about myself, and I'll think of it whenever I feel bad in the future in the hope that it'll make me feel better in the future too.

tropicalcows
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jan 2012, 7:10 pm

I've had suicidal ideation since I was 12. I'm depressed most of the time.

nilescrane
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 3:01 pm

I'm never going to do the deed but wish everyday for a premature natural death. Have no interest in my life or life at all. Was just a mistake. Really wish my parents never met.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 9:55 pm

i suppose i had to get this particular lifetime done and overwith sometime, it might as well be the present incarnation. sooner done, sooner overwith, i always say. :idea:

housefannbnh
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Feb 2012, 9:16 am

I have recently had episodes in the past 2 months where I go into a suicidal mode....the first time, came 24 hours after drinking a Coke Zero....the second time it was 24 hours after chewing a few pieces of Orbit gum....Came out with my own diagnosis....the culprit?...Splenda.

Suicidal thoughts have been off again/on again throughout my whole life dating back to when I was 11.

I just never realized what an adverse effect this ingredient could have on me and my depression. And it's EVERYWHERE. In virtually every gum you can imagine.

In words, what does Splenda make me feel like? Picture Dr. David Banner receiving more gamma radiation. In addition to the massive depression, the psychotic temper lingering inside just scared me. :(

front
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Feb 2012, 8:06 pm

auntblabby wrote:
sorry to be a killjoy [unintentional pun], but- if you don't let them treat cancer and it spreads to something like your brain or eyes or something which would leave you maimed and in much unpleasantness, then where would you be? cancer is a crappy way to go out, with protracted pain. same for getting hit by a car, it could just maim you for the rest of your life instead of killing you outright. when i was younger i was "accident-prone" and stumbled into many situations that should've killed me but for some reason unknown to me then, did not. luckily i never even got maimed by these "accidents" which were subconscious attempts by a part of me to off myself. but i've also seen the results [working in a hospital for decades] of people who tried most sincerely to end their lives but instead maimed themselves something awful, and they were in far worse a situation than they were in before- the lucky ones were vegetables who were unconscious of their awful new "jumping from the frying pan into the fire" situations. the unlucky ones [much more common] knew what they used to be and were in a situation where they no longer had any autonomy over their own bodies, and were basically "locked in" or stuck in their present living death situation. just think how awful that would be. i'm not saying don't commit suicide [only you can make that decision for yourself] but i am saying think it over as carefully as the most important life decision you will ever make. when it is your time, only then will you be allowed to go.

Nope my life is my own and when i wanna quit i can quit. There are no valid reasons why i should wait to be allowed to go. And if something goes wrong and it looks like rest off life is a crappy way out. Well i luckily live in a country where euthanesia of the suffering is quite normal :)

So no probs there :)

skribble
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Apr 2012, 6:06 pm

Simply waiting for the right time to go. Living like this is too lonely and emotionally painful.