I don't know whats wrong with me

Page 9 of 10 [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2016, 2:37 pm

sly279 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
This seems to be true on dating sites; it's not always true in real life.

Well no it's just out front. People still look for all the requirements they have they just do it discretely offline rather then posting it all for everyone to see online.

What your saying is that guy posting on a kkk forum isn't a racist offline, no he's only like that when he gets online. No people are who they are regardless of if they'll online or not. They just show their true selfs online. Those women with lists of requirements of what makes a real man if met in person will still believe that and still demand that.

That woman who won't date short people isn't going change her mind when meeting a short guy anymore then a guy who won't dat chubbies will date a 300 pound woman he met on a subway.

People are who they are. There's no magical offline world where people aren't judgmental and shallow like they are online.

hmm...you have a point, however in Online dating world, there's an abundance of sausages - so the pickiness magnifies.
For example the woman who won't date short guys, might end up only replying to very tall guys on dating sites because there are many average heights messaging her.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2016, 3:11 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
sly279 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Well no it's just out front. People still look for all the requirements they have they just do it discretely offline rather then posting it all for everyone to see online.

What your saying is that guy posting on a kkk forum isn't a racist offline, no he's only like that when he gets online. No people are who they are regardless of if they'll online or not. They just show their true selfs online. Those women with lists of requirements of what makes a real man if met in person will still believe that and still demand that.

That woman who won't date short people isn't going change her mind when meeting a short guy anymore then a guy who won't dat chubbies will date a 300 pound woman he met on a subway.

People are who they are. There's no magical offline world where people aren't judgmental and shallow like they are online.

hmm...you have a point, however in Online dating world, there's an abundance of sausages - so the pickiness magnifies.
For example the woman who won't date short guys, might end up only replying to very tall guys on dating sites because there are many average heights messaging her.

Yes but she'd do the same with guys approaching her in person.

Didn't you have this problem when meeting in person and they though you were tall from your profile? Did meeting you in person suddenly erase that requirement or did they not longer want to date you?

Why has hurtlooms thread turned into this discussion

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2016, 4:06 pm

It's turned into this discussion because I commented on the weirdness of modern dating.

I've been talking to friends in their 50s and they say it was much easier in the late 70s / early 80s. If you liked someone you asked them out. They find our dating messes bewildering.

I'm blaming modern dating methods for my issues. It's not me, the world is just screwed up.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2016, 4:10 pm

Amity wrote:
QuillAlba wrote:
Amity wrote:
Another thought, if the man also had social and communication challenges...

Are you part of any ASD real life groups and have you ever considered dating a man on the spectrum?

Is she desperate enough yet to date men on the spectrum?

We are seriously weird and can't communicate.

Ah now, no need to be so harsh. Would you say the same about women on the spectrum?

Life is short, if conventional isn't working, maybe try something different.

I always take what quillalba says with a pinch of salt.

I'm not in any aspie groups, but my female friends are all a bit spectrumy. Um, I think some of the guys I've been interested in have been on the spectrum. I don't think I could be attracted to a completely NT guy. We'd have nothing in common.

What I don't want is a long distance relationship.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2016, 5:06 pm

sly279 wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
sly279 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Didn't you have this problem when meeting in person and they though you were tall from your profile? Did meeting you in person suddenly erase that requirement or did they not longer want to date you?

Yes, you are right, maybe it just get magnified online.

Thank you for bringing unpleasant memories. :jester:

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2016, 5:57 pm

hurtloam wrote:
I'm not in any aspie groups, but my female friends are all a bit spectrumy. Um, I think some of the guys I've been interested in have been on the spectrum. I don't think I could be attracted to a completely NT guy. We'd have nothing in common. What I don't want is a long distance relationship.

How far away is long distance?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2016, 12:52 am

To be fair though, I am much shorter than average - so a girl refusing my height doesn't mean she wouldn't go for an average height.

Probably I should create my own 'I don't know whats wrong with me' lol.

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
sly279 wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
sly279 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Yes, you are right, maybe it just get magnified online.

Thank you for bringing unpleasant memories. :jester:

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2016, 9:06 pm

I feel like there's no point trying to meet someone new. I'll just mess things up again like I always do.

I don't really understand what happened with the last guy. No one understands. He genuinely seemed to like me and I freaked out and got really anxious around him.

It was the fact that he was so obvious about liking me that freaked me out. I'm not used to that. I didn't know what to do.

I ruined it. I wish I could have just been able to talk to him, but I felt like everyone was watching and laughing at me.

If I can make things work with someone who really likes me how can I convince a stranger to like me?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2016, 9:09 pm

hurtloam wrote:
I feel like there's no point trying to meet someone new. I'll just mess things up again like I always do. I don't really understand what happened with the last guy. No one understands. He genuinely seemed to like me and I freaked out and got really anxious around him. It was the fact that he was so obvious about liking me that freaked me out. I'm not used to that. I didn't know what to do. I ruined it. I wish I could have just been able to talk to him, but I felt like everyone was watching and laughing at me. If I can make things work with someone who really likes me how can I convince a stranger to like me?

maybe you need to take it slow and start with somebody you meet online? a nice long correspondence of maybe a year should give you time to mentally adjust to each other. :idea:

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2016, 9:20 pm

I don't want an online relationship. I want a normal in real life relationship. I want someone to spend time with. I want hugs.

I can't connect to someone just writing. You don't really get to know someone properly that way.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2016, 9:33 pm

hurtloam wrote:
I don't want an online relationship. I want a normal in real life relationship. I want someone to spend time with. I want hugs. I can't connect to someone just writing. You don't really get to know someone properly that way.

I am sorry. it is true that one never can really get to know somebody deeply unless you eventually meet, it happened most improbably to me, I met another WPer who took a shine to me until she actually met me and ran away screaming in relatively short order. :oops: I want a normal relationship also, but god had other ideas for reasons known only to him. I hope god smiles down on you and helps you out soon.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2016, 3:33 am

I just feel like it was my fault things didn't work. I don't know how I'm supposed to behave when I like someone. People tell me, "just be yourself."

But being myself, carrying on in my own routine where I never used to talk to this person who now seems to like me, means I'll carry in doing what I normally do and I won't talk to him.

Carrying on being myself will mean that he will think I don't have any interest in him.

I feel like if I start talking to him I'll make a fool of myself and everyone will laugh at me. And it'll turn out he doesn't like me and I'll look like a fool and things will be worse than before.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2016, 3:56 am

hurtloam wrote:
I just feel like it was my fault things didn't work. I don't know how I'm supposed to behave when I like someone. People tell me, "just be yourself." But being myself, carrying on in my own routine where I never used to talk to this person who now seems to like me, means I'll carry in doing what I normally do and I won't talk to him.
Carrying on being myself will mean that he will think I don't have any interest in him. I feel like if I start talking to him I'll make a fool of myself and everyone will laugh at me. And it'll turn out he doesn't like me and I'll look like a fool and things will be worse than before.

have you ever looked "like a fool" before? like in the past you did try to talk and keep the fellow engaged and it still fell through? in any case, would you like a guy who did more talking than you? are you a better listener than talker? :idea:

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2016, 7:30 am

I'm a little bit of both. I am a good listener and can be very quiet sometimes, but in a small group I can be the life and soul of a party. I'm good at telling funny stories... I think lol

I've tended to like sweet shy guys in the past, tried to talk to them and not developed much of a rapport because neither of us were good at conversation. I would probably get on better with an extrovert, but I suspect they find me boring because at first I can be bad at conversation until I get to know someone better and feel more comfortable.

I do feel like I've looked like a fool before. I can't tell if people are gently amused, and thinking awh that's sweet, or laughing at me.

I remember being a teenager and I knew a woman in her 30s who was single, she still is, and my friends made fun of her. She's also on the spectrum. That's probably what has embedded this fear of being laughed at.

I don't hang out with those people now.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2016, 11:04 am

You have to move on.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2016, 12:56 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
You have to move on.

A lot of this is hypothetical. It translates in to what the hell do I do with the next guy? If I'm just being me I'll make all the same mistakes again and still be on my own.