ways of coping with your depression and building self esteem

Page 9 of 23 [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 23  Next

pratchettfan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jul 2011, 4:53 pm

asplanet wrote:
While I agree there are so many ways to make uorselves feel better and myself exercise, dancing, music.... the list goes on. But I also need down time, its a part of who I am and have learnt not to feel bad about wanting to shut others out for a while...

When feeling low we know all know there are people worse off etc... but if you need to withdraw and feel sorry for yourself, do not feel bad... us aspies tend to need down time now and again... I call it my injured animal time where I retreat for a bit, just need my our space for a while, time not to over think, worry.. but just to be... it can be exsourcing having to fit into a world that does not fully understand us all...

Before being diagnosed I use to feel I was depressed, but now know its not the case, its just the way I am, thats why learning to understand ourselves, our needs is vital to accepting who we are. Since being diagnosed I no longer feel depressed, and have stopped feeling guilty about needing time out, its all too easy to try and please everyone else, and become overloaded, maybe one day others will be more accepting of our needs and we will all be allowed to just be....

I came here for succour because I'm at the beginning of a 'down' cycle. They usually last 4-6 weeks. Your post helped. Thanks asplanet. I no longer make any apologies for when I feel like cr*p and want to be left alone, so that's a start.

Orr
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 1:55 pm

I have just watched a short interview of psychologist Martin Seligman, on the BBC's 'Newsnight' television program.

Professor Seligman cited helping another person as the single most mood-lifting thing you can do if you are depressed.

As another easy thing to do, he also recommended that every night before you go to sleep, write down three things that went well today, and why they went well, to be happier, have higher life satisfaction, and lower depression.

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2011, 1:19 pm

Darin wrote:
When I was in one of my very depressed states, I would wake up saying positive things about myself, it would help me get out of bed and do whatever I needed to do.

I don't like medication but my depressions and fears where getting so bad that I have been on anti-depressants for some time now. I'm feeling a lot better because of the and I am not even thinking about giving them up. There are some side effects but that's nothing compared to how it was before.

NUJV
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jul 2011, 4:41 pm

I just tell my boyfriend that I feel a bit depressed and we'll go swimming together, or he'll put me on his lap and hold me in his arms. Until I had him, I was a "cutter"... I depend on him a lot really. I also like using Rescue Remedy to calm myself down, or playing a video game.

Logan5
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2011, 4:44 pm

FWIW,
"23 Surprisingly Effective Treatments for Depression"
http://curetogether.com/blog/2011/05/03 ... ear-later/

Also see the articles mentioned in this old thread:
"NY Review of Books articles on psychiatry"
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt166298.html

Knifey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2011, 11:15 am

see family
don't see family
drink red wine
get high
sleep too long
drive too fast
take a vitamin
watch futurama

depends what the situation calls for, there are many remedies :D

AmyF
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Aug 2011, 11:45 am

When I'm sad I tell myself to stop being a whiny b***h and get over it.

Christopherwillson
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2011, 9:47 am

If i feel my selfesteem sink into the ground i usually stop looking in the mirror for a couple of days, mirrors are really bad for me :P
they aren't really supposed to be in our lifes either.

Aspie score: 182-200

Don't know what to say.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 1:57 am

Well I smoke weed to cope with the depression, its the only thing that seems to help though sometimes I am not even sure that is helping anymore but it at least makes me feel a little better......and I do not think there is any way for me to build any self esteem, I kind of gave up on that.

I don't recommend anyone else deal with things that way, but I am sure I am not the only one.

spirtualpatterns
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Oct 2011, 4:45 pm

This may be a weird question but I'll shoot. How do you deal with somebody that wants to keep dragging you down and can't move on?

26 Nov 2011, 11:32 am

I haven't even read one post of this thread but how I build my self esteem is through suggestions.

Of all sources of encouragements I chose, I downloaded Michael Jordan's shoe commercials as my main source of inspiration.

Here are a couple of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BirIEDYrw0Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgW48mBQ ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nJLgKvVzY4

Ex-Ranza
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Nov 2011, 3:22 am

My personal preference is to have a big, strong drink (preferably a nice dark rum with pepsi), and fire up a favorite anime.

But if that doesn't work out as well as I'd like, I'll bust the booze out again, and do some PvP on WoW.. It makes me feel pretty good about myself that I can heal whole sections of raid groups, inebrieated, with no special add-ons. (I love to do this with caramelldansen playing in the background).

Alcohol is not the best method of coping, and I hope everyone here drinks responsibly.

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2011, 12:38 am

NUJV wrote:
I just tell my boyfriend that I feel a bit depressed and we'll go swimming together, or he'll put me on his lap and hold me in his arms. Until I had him, I was a "cutter"... I depend on him a lot really. I also like using Rescue Remedy to calm myself down, or playing a video game.

This is the kind of stuff that depresses me. Reading about people who have friends and boy friends.
I will probably never have any of this.

Last edited by artrat on 12 Dec 2011, 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chymistry
Raven
Raven

10 Dec 2011, 9:17 pm

I go to Memebase.com people post all sorts of memes that are funny, usually smart, and make me laugh.

anonymous-shyster
Raven
Raven

17 Dec 2011, 4:39 am

meh

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2011, 12:05 pm

Well my current solution is wait a few months and if things don't improve to hell with it all.