ways of coping with your depression and building self esteem

Page 10 of 23 [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 23  Next

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 12:18 am

I don't ever see myself-esteem proving.

When a person fails at everything self-esteem is impossible. I am on disability and have no job. that is one of the most degrading things to think about.
I am usless.

"I belive in God, only I spell it Nature."
~ Frank Llyod Wright

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 7:42 pm

Come to the Haven and have someone rip on all the character flaws they feel you exhibit and even the way you look...that does wonders. :roll:

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 11:27 pm

Although it's apparently supposed to be selfless, I feel better about myself if I've successfully helped anyone else with their own problems. Getting lost in a world of fiction or some form of hobby can be ok, but often I feel that it is empty and unproductive which makes me feel even worse. So knowing I've at least made an impact on someone else's life, however small or insignificant, is still more an accomplishment.

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

Einfari
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 12:27 am

I have always found exercise to be a miraculous depression reliever for me. A nice job outside or a bit of P90X always puts me in a much better mood. I also found that playing Skyrim helps keep my mind off of being in a bad mood sometimes. Exercise has always been my #1 lifesaver though.

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 11:04 am

Before being diagnosed I use to feel I was depressed, but now know its not the case, its just the way I am, thats why learning to understand ourselves, our needs is vital to accepting who we are. Since being diagnosed I no longer feel depressed, and have stopped feeling guilty about needing time out, its all too easy to try and please everyone else, and become overloaded, maybe one day others will be more accepting of our needs and we will all be allowed to just be....[/quote]

So when I'm feeling down and don't want to do anything, that is not neccessarily depression? Can you expand on that? Because I constantly feel stuck in this rut where I'm just laying around till the last minute and then rushing to catch up. It's like I'm avoiding my own life until its no longer avoidable, and then I do just what it takes to get by for another day. Im existing, not much else.

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 12:27 am

Aharon wrote:
So when I'm feeling down and don't want to do anything, that is not neccessarily depression? Can you expand on that? Because I constantly feel stuck in this rut where I'm just laying around till the last minute and then rushing to catch up. It's like I'm avoiding my own life until its no longer avoidable, and then I do just what it takes to get by for another day. Im existing, not much else.

That certainly sounds like a symptom of depression to me. Procrastination and lack of drive are very common in depressed people.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 12:31 am

As for coping strategies: Cats :cat: 'nuff said.

My favorite Terry Pratchett quote:

"I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
Death thought about it.
"CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE."

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2012, 3:25 am

Pets can help you cheer up.

KayMiller
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jan 2012, 6:33 am

As weird as this sounds I usually watch a horror and that makes me feel better. I am not too good with people as it is, but on a bad day I find I try and avoid them as much as possible..which isn't easy on a school run.
So at night I watch some weird monster/man/thing go on a rampage. (yes I have always been this weird) :?

Zhane
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Jan 2012, 8:27 pm

Things that usually help me with my depression lately;

:) Music

:P Writing

:twisted: Thinking of all the people who hate me and knowing that they would get way too much satisfaction if I killed myself. I have to stay alive if only to torture them. :P

zzmondo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 4:47 pm

I typically like to talk to my counselor about anything on my mind or someone in general who likes to listen to what you have to say. I also enjoy playing games and learning new ones with others as well (mostly talking about board and card games in this case but video games work too).

Luska
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Feb 2012, 11:31 am

Any long term strategies? Short term is easy to think of but depression will come back eventually.

DominictheStampede
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Mar 2012, 8:10 am

Try to have someone or several people who you can talk to about your problems. You could say to yourself "I'm definitely going for a walk today" and try and have a walk around your local neighbourhood every day, possibly with somebody else.

You could watch a film every night and talk about it with friends or family or post here about it. You could plan a trip out every week even if it's just to go to the shops or maybe to the cinema.

I have been depressed before and getting through it is like pushing a boulder up a mountain but just try and do something every day that takes you out of your comfort zone. I don't know if this is any help or not or if this has already been said but this is what helped me.

I was lucky enough to have a friend who I saw every Sunday at a cafe where he worked and in his break time we would swap comics and talk about them. If you're creative you could think about writing a story or a poem about your feelings to get them out of your system, or maybe some fanfiction about your favourite programme. I used to go on fanfiction dot net a lot when I was depressed.

Hope this helps. Just PM me if you ever want to talk :)

zzmondo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 10:48 pm

I mostly try to remember what is more important as well.

Last edited by zzmondo on 18 Mar 2012, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willzzz

18 Mar 2012, 12:37 am

Exercise. Walk in the park.

People I can talk intelligently to.

Life... Is a blisss...

Gita
Raven
Raven

19 Mar 2012, 8:06 pm

One thing I read, or heard someone say really made sense to me. Don't live in the past. Okay. What is done is done. Make the past "history." It is harder to do than to say. Self forgiveness is necessary, and a wonderful thing. I have a touch of perfectionism. I don't like to do something if everything is not perfect, If I feel I will fail, or if I will never be as good as I once was. These are attitudes that screw me up. I also don't take risks much because I get overly anxious. I have to do it with a "Damn-it! I must!" Kind of outlook. Like looking for a job is really hard because I don't really believe I will get a job. Why? I failed in the past. Isn't it silly? People keep telling me that I need to move on. It is hard, but I know they are right. How to do it when You can't move?

I tried depression medication once. It totally destroyed any small amount of empathy I might have had. I was really mean-- nasty toward people when I took it. Someone pointed it out and I agreed. I stopped taking it immediately. Of course, you are only supposed to come off of it with a Doctors supervision, but I ignored that. I had a lot of headaches. From then on I was afraid of taking any kind of antidepressants.

I've had a lot of depression and low self esteem in my life. I try to compartmentalize. My artwork is going well. I am getting to the point where I will have a solo show at a gallery. To me that is important. My health is decent. My dogs and cats are healthy. My house is clean. I am soon to get a decent job.