Do you miss your childhood?

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2013, 10:17 pm

I don't miss my childhood. My parents tried to raise the autism out of me to the point that I've resented them for a long time. They didn't use ABA, but they chastised me for talking about my special interests too much, not giving eye-contact and speaking with a Cockney accent. I was born and raised in Canada into a very patriotic family that swore off of normalcy. It was a nightmare. I was happy to finally move out on my own in 2006 when I was 32. I now get to do the things that I've always wanted to do. Living the life of a man, being a Kinks Fan and allowing myself to walk around the city looking like young Mick Avory. I'm 300% happier now than I was back than.

Last edited by CockneyRebel on 04 Feb 2013, 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2013, 11:08 pm

Always,

Although, I do not know if it is just because I would have another opportunity to do things differently.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2013, 9:17 am

arielhawksquill wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
I just miss those days, and to think I spent most of my childhood whining and crying instead of stopping to think ''hang on a minute, I should be making the most of my childhood years - I will miss this when we all grow up and get jobs and relationships, and nobody will be the same.'' But I didn't.

So try this little thought experiment: it is 30 years in the future, and you are looking back on your life right now. Your parents have passed on, and you are living alone or in a group home, totally alienated from your cousins. You think how back in 2013, you still had your mum, and at least people still bothered to invite you to birthday parties and on holiday with them. You still got to ride your favorite bus then, and finally had a job after endlessly being on jobseekers. "Hang on a minute, I should have been making the most of those years," you will think. But you didn't. Instead you have spent it whining and crying, just as you did your childhood.

Just a friendly reminder. This is the Haven. People come to this section for support.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2013, 9:19 am

I don't miss my childhood.
I live in the present, not in the past.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2013, 12:02 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

Just a friendly reminder. This is the Haven. People come to this section for support.

Ah, sorry, didn't notice this was a Haven post. The sentiment is the same, though--Joe should be enjoying her life right now, because THIS is the sweet spot.

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2013, 11:40 pm

I sometimes wish I had a childhood to miss. It passes. Finding time to comfort myself in small ways helps. Plush, furry things... smooth things... new sights, a spectacular sunset maybe.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

04 Feb 2013, 11:42 pm

What I miss most about my childhood is being nonverbal and wanting to kill every living thing on earth. Starting with my parents.

No, i really don't miss it.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 3:26 am

I don't know. I think I for the most part miss the period before my parents' divorce. That was I guess the period of actual childhood. Maybe before 5th grade. Childhood innocence and all that. Since 5th grade, I've felt the same really.

Oddly, looking back, I miss most out of my childhood, my Bosnian babysitter's family, and hanging out with my father.

However, now as an adult, I'm afforded some measure of freedom to pursue what I want. But I feel in essence, because my childhood was disrupted by the divorce and all accompanying things that caused my life to spiral out of control, I only work to regain back the happiness I had as a child, and achieve basically my childhood goals (as a kid I wanted to be an athlete.) In some sense, everything has come full circle.

The question I ponder a lot lately is, would childhood me think adult me is cool? And... I used to think not, but after some examination of myself... Yeah, he would. And I think that's what counts. I only wish it didn't come with the hardship. Maybe I'm still a kid, though I feel like a 90 year old man, too. What a weird dichotomy.

As a kid, I always wanted to get older, so I could be more capable of pursuing what I want. And I've reached that point. So I guess the answer is no, because being a kid again would just make me wish to be an adult. However, as a kid, I did have a fear of "growing up" in that I feared having to give up "kid things" like Winnie The Pooh, cartoons, etc. However because I'm an adult and afforded freer agency, I'm freer than I was as a kid to pursue things like that (I have a Hamtaro plushie on my shelf right now) as when you're a kid people judge your "growing up" on giving up things like that, and it's looked at negatively if you don't. So again, I guess no.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 3:59 am

If I could go back with the knowledge I have now, then yes. I don't want to go back as it is.

TrainofLove
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Feb 2013, 8:56 am

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 9:15 am

Absolutely not.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 9:35 am

Nope . . . it was by far the worst time of my life (so far.)

Oswald06
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Feb 2013, 1:08 pm

I was teased a lot as a kid, but the one thing I miss from my childhood is the annual New Year's trip to Walt Disney World with my family. We had to stop going after 1993 when I was eight because my parents didn't want my brother and I to miss any more school. Dad and I went again in 96. Afterwards we went in the summer every year. I worked for Disney on College Internships. I long to go back there just for fun and maybe someday to work there permanently.

Have you seen my childhood?-Michael Jackson

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

07 Feb 2013, 8:32 pm

To an extent, yeah. Even though my parents were kinda strict and conservative, I didn't worry about the world so much, like I do now.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2013, 10:09 am

Not particularly, I suppose there are some things I miss about it....but I certainly don't miss the bullying, being singled out by teachers and such or my parents not getting along and arguing/yelling rather often. I guess I kind of miss the determination of 'I have to get through this school stuff, just deal with all the crap and it will get better if I am patient.' I guess its mostly because that was some sense of direction but now I don't have any.

Ryvandur
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Feb 2013, 3:39 am

Not quite. Sure, the lack of responsibilities sounds nice, but I like having money and a constant internet connection, as well as not being hated by nearly everyone I knew. I didn't really feel bad then, but looking back now, I'd say being a kid sucked for me.