My birthday is tomorrow. Do you hate your birthday?

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 5:45 am

I hated and lived in fear of my birthdays in earlier times. Not inviting people and celebrate would have made me socially more awkward as I already had been, so I felt myself forced to act acceptable and do as people expected me to, 1 month before I was issued, got sleeping problems because of it, were afraid of that day, got stomachaches and simply wanted to run away from everything. The last year I simply ignored social expectations of me inviting everyone for a celebration. So my birthday event was a Lan party with my closest friends, we played Games all night, and additional there was some beer and a fruit cake I had baken, but not more, and it was wonderful and we had lots of fun and for the first time in life my birthday was the way I liked it and I had fun. :) I can only advise you to ignore social expectations, and simply celebrate your birthday exact the way you feel best. Be it a quiet day for yourself reading, a Lan party with your friends, whatever. But make it a lucky day for you. :)

jebert74
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 May 2013, 8:13 am

I also hated my birthday for many years. I think a lot of it had to do with a far greater expectation of a birthday celebration than what really happened. I was often disappointed that so few people seemed to care before I later realized a few key points. First, people did care about me though i have a difficult time understanding it. Secondly, I was so busy avoiding people that i didnt allow many to be close to me.

As I've aged, my birthday isn't very important to me. The important thing is continuing to grow and working on building and keeping relationships. Having said all that, I wish you a Happy Birthday and many more years of enjoyment and fulfillment.

creepycupcake
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 May 2013, 3:49 pm

I hate my Birthday. It reminds me that I am just another year older and that things are going to change as the years pass. It reminds me that I can't stay in one place forever and it makes me feel depressed every year.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 4:23 pm

I wonder where and when the tradition of celebrating birthdays started ? I guess it had to be related to having an accurate calender.

I always go low key on them. But I do enjoy it in that, that is one of the times I get to buy something fun for myself & get a ice cream cake. Its just something we celebrate after dinner, like a special dessert. 20-30 minutes and your done!

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 4:29 pm

Toy_Soldier wrote:
I wonder where and when the tradition of celebrating birthdays started ? I guess it had to be related to having an accurate calender.

I always go low key on them. But I do enjoy it in that, that is one of the times I get to buy something fun for myself & get a ice cream cake. Its just something we celebrate after dinner, like a special dessert. 20-30 minutes and your done!

I know in Orthodox (and maybe Catholic) countries, you celebrate your Saint's Day.

amapola
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 May 2013, 4:17 pm

Every person is worth and special.Don`t feel depressed because you didn`t realised expectations of other people.Destiny is strange,and maybe one day you will do something special and become successful.Never give up.You should celebrate your birthday bacause on that day was born one unique and special person.You.

Pabalebo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 May 2013, 6:14 pm

My birthday is next Tuesday. I like free stuff. I get free stuff on my birthday. Therefore, by the transitive property, I like my birthday.

Quinntilda
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 May 2013, 9:12 pm

I got past a certain age and hated birthdays too. Because of the crazy expectations. even though I did most of them it just makes life worse. "A birthday is just another year closer to death".