ways of coping with your depression and building self esteem

Page 14 of 23 [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 23  Next

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

07 Nov 2013, 12:46 pm

Prior to 9/11, I was a sullen pre-teen boy who isolated himself from the world (I still kinda do that, but only when I'm really depressed). Then, after 9/11 occurred, I realized, "Being a sullen hermit is NO WAY to live life." That begun my slow metamorphosis from that to a very upbeat man, which has endured within me to this date.

I live by one mantra: "I will endure". No matter what crap may be thrown at me, I'll always find ways to weather the storm, and endure it all, in spite of my Aspie's. I will NEVER, EVER, give up. And I am a better man for it.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2013, 10:00 am

When I was seriously depressed: One day at a time. Planning was awful.

Don't place your self-worth on what you do, but on who you are as a person. I still have issues in thinking this way, but it helps to think that I'm not constantly a failure.

It's not your fault. Depression, like autism, is a disease. This doesn't mean there aren't things you can do to ameliorate your feelings to a degree, but you're not to blame.

Poor motivation

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2013, 12:04 pm

Pop tunes from the 1950's and 1960's: for some reason these often seem to lift my spirits.

I'm on meds, but on those days when I go into a funk, a dose of do-wop music sometimes helps. :-)

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 5:35 pm

I've yet to be diagnosed with depression, but this is just something I did last night; I made myself a little time capsule and wrote encouraging stuff to put into it. Then, come a few years and I'll open it again.

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2013, 7:16 pm

I feel horrible,I'm going off Risperidone and I have so much depression and troubling thoughts today.I hope it goes away.I am thankful for Risperidone! :( :x 8O

aspergermarried
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jan 2014, 6:18 am

I have run the depression gauntlet, too, ever since realizing I wasn't similar to NTs as a teenager.

What helps when the days are icky? These are things I try to do myself.

At my lowest functioning day (yow baby! This is rock bottom):
Simple self care
1. Water (just one at least)
2. Fresh air (open window if not going outside)
3. Exercise (pacing counts)
4. Breathe (try 4 breaths now and 10 breaths later)

At a regular low functioning day just noticing some depression:
If more mobile, simple self-esteem care
1. Ten small tasks around your living quarters (and I mean small; e.g. put a book on shelf, put a dish in the sink, take a shower, call a friend, check internet, do 5 sit ups, dump trash, color with crayons, feed the cat, make your bed, touch your toes, open the window for one minute, get the mail, think about getting the mail, eat some toast, drink a cup of tea, recycle one piece of paper, etc.)
2. Put on a favorite emotional movie (e.g. Sense and Sensibility, Napoleon Dynamite, Iron Will, etc.)
3. Shower, grooming, fuss over your health for an hour and just feel tidy.
4. Go shopping for some healthy food to put in the refrigerator and freezer (fresh fruits, box prep meals, frozen meals) for about $30.00
5. Go over to a friends house and just enjoy a different pace of life / or sit in a good vibe coffee shop or book store.

At my "Is this all my life is" depression level without a lot of negativity, just skepticism:
If really wanting a quick change or diversion and can get out of the house easily
1. Go for a challenging walk for yourself (if you usually don't go outside, walk around your house several times; if you usually already walk, pick a new point to walk to where you can rest once you arrive there).
2. Go to or join a group or community service.
3. Donate some stuff to someone/something or just start a box for things you might donate someday.
4. Buy a low cost replacement for something that will solve a problem (e.g. a light bulb replacement or a new can opener, look up how to fix something on the internet) or even a real problem fixer if I have the money (e.g. pet booster shots at vets, repair that noise in the car, a new project tool for home improvement or business, etc.).
5. Read a book that is outside of my life experience (something about people and helpful example to my life but not really like my life) in a nice place.

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2014, 7:29 am

I wander through the many threads on WP and offer thought provoking tiny little epiphanies
millions of people don't get me but still I perspire over the human condition and their mighty
struggles, when they yearn for snuggles, I abhor my self for ignoring them,
but still,
their little men and women,
thoughtless Gods

children

no one grows up

Erwin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2014, 1:42 am

aspergermarried wrote:
I have run the depression gauntlet, too, ever since realizing I wasn't similar to NTs as a teenager.

What helps when the days are icky? These are things I try to do myself.

At my lowest functioning day (yow baby! This is rock bottom):
Simple self care
1. Water (just one at least)
2. Fresh air (open window if not going outside)
3. Exercise (pacing counts)
4. Breathe (try 4 breaths now and 10 breaths later)

At a regular low functioning day just noticing some depression:
If more mobile, simple self-esteem care
1. Ten small tasks around your living quarters (and I mean small; e.g. put a book on shelf, put a dish in the sink, take a shower, call a friend, check internet, do 5 sit ups, dump trash, color with crayons, feed the cat, make your bed, touch your toes, open the window for one minute, get the mail, think about getting the mail, eat some toast, drink a cup of tea, recycle one piece of paper, etc.)
2. Put on a favorite emotional movie (e.g. Sense and Sensibility, Napoleon Dynamite, Iron Will, etc.)
3. Shower, grooming, fuss over your health for an hour and just feel tidy.
4. Go shopping for some healthy food to put in the refrigerator and freezer (fresh fruits, box prep meals, frozen meals) for about $30.00
5. Go over to a friends house and just enjoy a different pace of life / or sit in a good vibe coffee shop or book store.

At my "Is this all my life is" depression level without a lot of negativity, just skepticism:
If really wanting a quick change or diversion and can get out of the house easily
1. Go for a challenging walk for yourself (if you usually don't go outside, walk around your house several times; if you usually already walk, pick a new point to walk to where you can rest once you arrive there).
2. Go to or join a group or community service.
3. Donate some stuff to someone/something or just start a box for things you might donate someday.
4. Buy a low cost replacement for something that will solve a problem (e.g. a light bulb replacement or a new can opener, look up how to fix something on the internet) or even a real problem fixer if I have the money (e.g. pet booster shots at vets, repair that noise in the car, a new project tool for home improvement or business, etc.).
5. Read a book that is outside of my life experience (something about people and helpful example to my life but not really like my life) in a nice place.

If it feels that there has to be more to your life, there is. Oh god, there is. I would never have imagined. Follow your gut at all times.

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2014, 8:23 pm

I write about how much depression sucks. Then I write about smashing it to smithereens with a morningstar. It's not just about thinking it. Writing is absolutely necessary for the technique to work.

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2014, 6:41 am

Actually, this whole thread deviates
Depression is a mental situation demanding ...(care and attention!! !!
:lol: :lol: :lol: )

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 6:11 am

Just ulghhhh

EAGLEi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Apr 2014, 5:27 pm

peterd wrote:
<quote>I find that talking to friends can help, it doesn't matter what it is about, but feeling like i fit-in helps alot i find. </quote>

Friends? How does that work?

No kidding! I have never clicked well enough with anyone to keep a lasting friendship. I haven't even really been good at clicking or fitting in with my own family - my kids included. However, I am thankful for my girlfriend with whom I can talk for hours, even all day, without ever feeling anxious or like I need to get away. That though is because I think she is a, as I jokingly refer to her, a closet Aspie. She has many signs of being an Aspie but refuses to call herself an Aspie. Yet, it's why she and I fit together so perfectly. I guess it takes an Aspie to understand an Aspie :lol:

reetaemra
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Apr 2014, 5:24 am

I'm trying to ignore bad thoughts when I'm depressed. Do something I like. Stay busy all the time. But sometimes depression gets so bad that I just fall down, being too tired to fight.
Or something may happen, that will make me depressed. Maybe talking to someone could help, but I can't. I can't find the right person or the right words. I type a large message, but then delete it, so no one will ever know how I feel. At least no one notices what's going on in my head.
Sometimes self-harm helps. Replacing this pain with physical. And then I'll be ok again.

YourMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 5:59 am

I think I really need (professional) help with building some self-esteem. I feel so ugly and unattractive that I don't think I'd ever have a chance with anyone, perhaps some blind dude.

And it's just not true but I can't help feeling like this. I also feel very undeserving of anything good. As if I don't even try because why the heck would I. Last night it became clear to me again that even though it's not always so obvious I have some very deep issues. I can hardly believe anyone'd even like to talk to me, I feel like I'm a bothersome burden to people.

This has to change.

(not a native speaker)

B19
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 5:17 pm

Always remember that what happened to you, what you have been through, is not who you are.

Believe that: when you know better, you do better.

Realise that there are two kinds of people: tank fillers and tank emptiers. You know which is which by how you feel in your body after an encounter with anyone (heavier after the tank empiters, lighter after the tank fillers) Delete the tank emptiers, thieves of your energy and hope.

YourMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 9:38 pm

B19 wrote:
Always remember that what happened to you, what you have been through, is not who you are.

Believe that: when you know better, you do better.

Realise that there are two kinds of people: tank fillers and tank emptiers. You know which is which by how you feel in your body after an encounter with anyone (heavier after the tank empiters, lighter after the tank fillers) Delete the tank emptiers, thieves of your energy and hope.

Rationally I've always known that. But there's something 'deep' which is hard for me to touch or heal myself. Talked to my physician recently and she provided me with some psychologists to call :) I hope that they can help. You see, my issues come in waves, sometimes I feel them a bit less, but they keep on returning.

I'm not sure if I'm depressed or not at the moment. Probably not as I know depression when I have it. Yet, things aren't going right and low self-esteem is breaking me up

(not a native speaker)